Do Brooks saddles have empathy for their owners?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
roubaixtuesday

Do Brooks saddles have empathy for their owners?

Post by roubaixtuesday »

After completing 170km of the rather epic Seashell Sportive yesterday in somewhat inclement weather, I arrived home close to collapse.

Picked up the bike by the saddle to turn it round and spray the chain before dragging my sorry carcass to a warm bath, only to have the internals of the saddle disintegrate and fall to the floor. "Me too" thinks I.

Turns out the tension pin had sheared.

Sportive itself highly recommended, great event run by volunteers for charity.

http://www.seashelltrustsportive.org.uk
Tiberius

Re: Do Brooks saddles have empathy for their owners?

Post by Tiberius »

I've broken TWO Brooks saddles in the same way.....two separate bikes within a few weeks of each other.

FYI....Brooks repaired BOTH of them for £55.00 all in (not each) This included all parts, labour and return postage. The saddles were returned in lovely condition, all polished and looking new AND they threw in a couple of those dinky waterproof covers which I thought was a nice touch....This was approx' two years ago.

I was thinking about buying the parts and fixing them myself....I'm really glad that I decided not to bother.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have a Brooks Pro on both bikes.
One has done close on 50,000miles and the other more like 5,000miles.

Both are supremely comfortable and were from Day One as well.
Both are in good condition, but the older of the two is looking tired.
Neither has had a breakage, and the older one has only had the adjuster moved once.

Empathy?
I doubt it. They'll still be up and ready for a ride when I'm hanging up my bicycle clips for the last time.
Mick F. Cornwall
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I fixed my B17 myself. The new nose bolt was about £6 from SJS. It was a bit of a faff stretching the leather to get the nose cone over the new nose bolt but other than that it was a fairly easy job.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com