How Fast - 184 mph

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
rjb

How Fast - 184 mph

Post by rjb »

Beat this if you can. :shock:
Even if you jumped out of a plane you only reach a terminal velocity of 122mph in free fall. :lol:
The fastest ive been is being tucked behind the number 2 bus. :lol:

https://road.cc/content/news/248509-ame ... miles-hour
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Lance Dopestrong

Re: How Fast - 184 mph

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Finally enough, I did 185mph this morning* That was on a full squidger mtb with 3 inch tyres, Mrs Dopesteong on the crossbar, rolling a fag while chatting to the bookies on my mobile. No poncey drafting either.

* Some of this might be a slight fib.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had a Cateye Mity8 and in Ludlow, I sat at a cafe in the market square.
The table tops were polished metal.

I took my Cateye off the bike to look at the total distance, trip distance, average speed etc whilst having lunch.
I put the unit down on the table and slid it across to see it better.
The speed shot up to 200odd mph! :lol:

The contacts made and broke as the unit slid along and gave a high enough frequency to create the speed reading.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
Correction.
134mph.

From my records of LEJOG and Back.
http://lejogandback.blogspot.com
I stopped at Ludlow, 8 miles short of 1500 miles and found a little cafe tucked away in a corner just off the town square and asked for the menu. Bike and Trailer were just across the alley-way, and I lifted off the computer from the handlebars to check on mileage and averages etc. My pot of tea arrived and I put down the computer onto the metal table and slid it to one side. The electrical contacts on the bottom of the unit registered a connection, and interpreted it as a speed of 134mph! Surely, it must have been the highest speed ever attained on a bike computer!
Mick F. Cornwall
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Mick F wrote:PS:
Correction.
134mph.

From my records of LEJOG and Back.
http://lejogandback.blogspot.com
I stopped at Ludlow, 8 miles short of 1500 miles and found a little cafe tucked away in a corner just off the town square and asked for the menu. Bike and Trailer were just across the alley-way, and I lifted off the computer from the handlebars to check on mileage and averages etc. My pot of tea arrived and I put down the computer onto the metal table and slid it to one side. The electrical contacts on the bottom of the unit registered a connection, and interpreted it as a speed of 134mph! Surely, it must have been the highest speed ever attained on a bike computer!

Back when shops had things like a computer display units we came up with a jolly wizz - put bike in stand and rev up to something stupid then introduce the display units wheel to rear tyre. I think we got up to something like 220mph!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
rjb

Post by rjb »

This is 1 mph faster than the worlds fastest indian - Burt Munro :shock:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burt_Munro
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
robing

Post by robing »

What's the speed record for a bike NOT drafting? On the flat.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

robing wrote:What's the speed record for a bike NOT drafting? On the flat.
UCI compliant?
Recumbent with full faring?
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

88.3 IIRC, though might be being beaten at battle mountain now...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
althebike

Post by althebike »

I hit the high low 50s twice this year, both times I felt buffeted by the winds and my backside started squeaking, it is hard to imagine going faster