Navigation pain

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Psamathe

Re: Navigation pain

Post by Psamathe »

pwa wrote:I've never used a bike GPS, so how quick and easy is it to cobble together a route and get it onto your device? Is it easy to learn? I'm not thinking of getting one, but I'm curious.

My hand-held Satmap is okay for walking, but it simply shows you where you are on an OS map of your choice. So you are reading a map, but with the advantage of having your current position indicated. And the map you see is less visible in sunlight, and liable to result in a crash if you try to use it while cycling. I still prefer to also carry a paper map when I am walking in unfamiliar territory because I can look at a wider area and see how the bit I'm on fits into the wider network of paths and lanes.

I found it depended on the device and the type/quality of the route you want. In my personal experience:
1 https://cycle.travel to Wahoo Elemnt - https://cycle.travel really easy to create/tweak/etc a good route and download it. Once on your phone/tablet if you have internet getting it to Wahoo GPS straightforward. Elemnt does have other means/3rd parties for route creation but the created routes were (in my opinion/experience) inferior.

2. Garmin 1030. Seems there are many ways to create routes and get them onto the device. I used mine with the device itself creating the route. Routes were not as "good" as the https://cycle.travel routes but they were appropriate for bikes and being created on the device were already there. Could be a bit of a fiddle specifying the route on a small screen but not really a problem.

Ian
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

pwa wrote:I've never used a bike GPS, so how quick and easy is it to cobble together a route and get it onto your device? Is it easy to learn? I'm not thinking of getting one, but I'm curious.

My hand-held Satmap is okay for walking, but it simply shows you where you are on an OS map of your choice. So you are reading a map, but with the advantage of having your current position indicated. And the map you see is less visible in sunlight, and liable to result in a crash if you try to use it while cycling. I still prefer to also carry a paper map when I am walking in unfamiliar territory because I can look at a wider area and see how the bit I'm on fits into the wider network of paths and lanes.

That is not an easy question to answer. Loading a Garmin is as easy as loading a file onto a different drive. Planning the route can be as easy as dropping a couple of way points letting the computer calculate saving and then loading onto the GPS, however life is never that simple. I can spend hours pondering routes and tweaking them.

I use routino Linux based for planning as this gives you enough control over the parameters, to get the computer to pick the route you would. For instance if I am riding a road bike or the recumbent I don’t want to be following a cycle track that is across a ploughed field. Or meandering through a housing estate just because that is the way that local council has determined a cycle route should go, nor dual carriageways at the other end of the scale. Google street view is another useful route planning tool.

With my first gps I toured Northern Ireland without planning routes as it only had basic mapping. I found it had most small towns on the map and I could head for the next town and so long as I headed in the general direction then I’d get there.
NUKe

Post by PH »

In the hundreds of times I've done it I've never noticed the time it took, so as an experiment I've just used cycletravel to plan a route from Derby to Harrogate which I might ride in a couple of weeks. Dragged the default in a couple of places to match my preferences - avoid some unsurfaced and urban sections, use a bit of A road that I know is OK, visit a cafe I like - saved, downloaded to PC, loaded to Garmin, took around five minutes. I'd be happy to just ride that, or I might spend hours making adjustments, much like I might with a paper map, choice is mine. Or with either I could just set off in the right direction and use the tools available if and when it was an advantage to do so.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

cycleruk wrote:But my Garmin came in very useful when in Majorca, where obviously I don't know the roads

On our first visit to Mallorca I'd bought a little waterproof cycling map so I knew exactly where our routes were going before we got there.I studied gpx files of recommended routes sent by a friend then highlighted them on the map.The lady I ride with put the routes into her Garmin 810 as a back up(she insisted)....which threw a wobbly on ride 2 resulting in her relying on me and my map.TBH Mallorca is pretty straight forward to navigate anyway :mrgreen: On our second visit last year I knew the routes so only used the map a couple of times on a route we'd not done previously.
mjr wrote:Out here where roads are fairly sparse and far between, that can easily leave you turning right twice across a busy A road of theoretically-60-actually-80+ mph motor traffic. That's really not what cycling is about! GPS is a boon for avoiding such unpleasantness.

This is why I check the route I'm doing before I do it so I'll know not to go on roads of that nature.Luckily where i ride from home I can easily avoid such roads.

I had a Satmap Active 10 when they first hit the market and although useful for walking/MTBing I sold it as I rarely used it.I got Satmaps Digital mapping free too which was easier than plotting routes on the unit.I sold it to a friend who still uses it.Plotting/uploading routes to a Garmin etc is pretty much the same as doing it on the Satmap(unless of course you plot your routes on the actual Satmap unit).
whoof

Post by whoof »

I love maps, have a shelf full and carry them with me if I'm in an area I don't know. I also carry a laminated route card showing directions with me on Audaxes.
But I also can't remember more than one or two turns ahead and find stopping to look at the map find where I am and where I should go an annoyance, I want to ride my bike and not take part in orienteering.

Other may love the freedom of going where a compass or their instinct tell them or even getting lost, but the OP has said they find navigating a pain not a carefree joy.

So a map that shows me where I am and the route (that I took the time to plan and chose) is extremely useful.

+1 for the Garmin Etrex 20
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

A GPS is useful up in the fells or other trackless place (or even a tracked place) when the fog comes down or it gets truly dark. The GPS gives a map ref to tell you where you are, so the map (lit by a torch if necessary) and compass can steer you about, as you say.

This at least allows you to continue understanding and doing the navigation yourself. But perhaps I am just a control freak and can't bear to give myself up to the clutches of a route-finding robot that might go-HAL on me?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

squeaker wrote:
Glyno wrote:If indeed a gadget with pre-loaded routes is really the only solution, what could people suggest (preferably without breaking the bank)?
S/H MotoG 3 (water resistant, ~£50 off e-bay) + OsmAnd app + route planning in cycle.travel. Works for me, but you might want to add a £10 power bank for long rides...

I use the same system. I also take my ancient Garmin Legend and have a pre-loaded breadcrumb track to follow. I have to wear glasses to follow the old garmin but it is a good backup to the MotoG as the batteries last for days. I also have a paper map but I have found it frustrating pre garmin days to keep taking it out, unfolding it and working out where I am. It's alright saying take your time etc, but I like pre-booked accommodation or to know which campsite I am stopping at and I don't want to be arriving late because of having to stop so often looking at maps and asking locals. Try navigating across Paris from CDG to Fountainbleu using a map! Been there done that.
Putting the MotoG in my back pocket and using Osmand, I can listen to turn by turn directions just like the Car Satnav, which for me, is brilliant and removes a possible frustrating experience that I just don't enjoy.
ossie

Post by ossie »

I use a Garmin etrex Legend HCX when touring.

My longest trip with it was 1500 miles to Switzerland and back. I downloaded the route from cycletravel and like Jim above simply followed the pre loaded track, in my case a nice pink line. Its been used on numerous tours, takes AA batteries (the lithiums will last 4 days) and is bombproof.

I download Archies camping as POI's (points of interest) so along my route I will see a nice big A which indicates a camp site.

The beauty is that you don't have to religiously follow the track, however it's invaluable in large towns and cities. My guess is the later models have a clearer screen and more memory.