AUK Finances

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
leftpoole

Re: AUK Finances

Post by leftpoole »

TrevA wrote:I had an email today from the head honcho at Audax UK, saying they have to put their membership fees up to pay for their new website. An increase of £4 to £23 a year. It's likely that ride entry fees might go up as well, as they are increasing costs to organisers. I'll still affiliate as I consider even the increased membership fee good value for money, given that you get 3-4 magazines a year included. A likely £1 increase on ride entries won't bother me either. But I'm wondering if they really needed to spend all that money on a new website? I've read figures of it costing around £400,000 or more, in total, due to cost overruns. I work in IT so I know that developers don't come cheap, but it still seems a lot of money and, to me at least, there's not that much wrong with their current website.

Hello,
Magazine 4 times a year? Yes all well and good. But full of really nothing but photographs of the same people on the same cycles over and over?
Great pictorial, but after one years editions they become boring to say the very least!
In my opinion only of course.
John
PH

Post by PH »

leftpoole wrote:
TrevA wrote:I had an email today from the head honcho at Audax UK, saying they have to put their membership fees up to pay for their new website. An increase of £4 to £23 a year. It's likely that ride entry fees might go up as well, as they are increasing costs to organisers. I'll still affiliate as I consider even the increased membership fee good value for money, given that you get 3-4 magazines a year included. A likely £1 increase on ride entries won't bother me either. But I'm wondering if they really needed to spend all that money on a new website? I've read figures of it costing around £400,000 or more, in total, due to cost overruns. I work in IT so I know that developers don't come cheap, but it still seems a lot of money and, to me at least, there's not that much wrong with their current website.

Hello,
Magazine 4 times a year? Yes all well and good. But full of really nothing but photographs of the same people on the same cycles over and over?
Great pictorial, but after one years editions they become boring to say the very least!
John

I doubt you've seen one recently. That might have been a fair review a while ago, though not everyone will share that opinion, it's now been completely revamped, full of long distance cycling not all of it Audax. I think it's now a good magazine though not everyone shares that opinion - can't please everyone!
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

+1 for Arrivee - the most recent one was a good read and the revamp to the layout is excellent, even if the Audax Club Mid Essex - ACME - manage to get in every issue. Good luck to them they are the ones out there doing the miles.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

leftpoole wrote:

Hello,
John

I've noticed that there are regular contributors (Ribble Blue?) but also quite a bit from first timers. I'd prefer a bit more technical content, of things interesting to Audaxers - GPS, Lighting, bikes, but again it's mostly done by volunteers/enthusiasts so perhaps difficult to do reviews.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

leftpoole wrote:

Hello,
John

3 suggestions:

Send them some content yourself.

Stop bloody moaning.

Just burn the thing for all I care - the membership fee is still good value. They're not spending it on caviar you know!!!

Just my opinion of course ...