Broadwith 24hr plaque

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Paulatic

Broadwith 24hr plaque

Post by Paulatic »

When Michael Broadwith got the 24 hr record on his LEJOG record breaking ride June 2018 the position at 24 hrs was loosely described as near Lockerbie. After the ride was ratified the distance was given as 507.9 mls. Using his track from https://frrt.org/endtoend2018/r/1-michael my software placed him at Johnstonebridge.
I’ve asked Mike where was the mark? He sent me a rough map and pictures of sprayed trees and MB on the road. I failed on first scout as i discovered this morning the trees further on than expected. MB on the road as gone.
The 24hr point is a couple of miles from my door. If he’d taken a right turn the point could have been at my door. I’d have had the kettle on instead of standing in the rain on Beattock Summit. :D
After finding the exact point my mapping app MapOut puts the distance at nearly 510.9mls.
37337A16-E18D-4299-8F9D-59841B7395C9.jpeg

It is the exact point but the exact milage looks like it’s open to debate.

So to the point of my post :D
I want to put something in place on the roadside at that point so that a) it’s not lost b) to give a point of interest to passing cyclists especially those on a LEJOG.
I’m looking for ideas from you all that are
a)something I am able to do
b) will last a long time and not rot away in ten years. I hope to be around for the next 20 years to maintain it but the odds will be shortening after that.

A thought I’ve had today is a bike wheel bolted to a steel post. Would some engraving around the rim, telling the story, be legible and lasting?
Maybe plastic lettering on the spokes? How?
Or a plastic engraved plaque? ( like safety signs) Is it durable would it cost much?

Anyway all ideas gratefully received. Except maybe fundraising for buying something fancy...that just isn’t me I know my limitations.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
gaz

Re: Broadwith 24hr plaque

Post by gaz »

Could you link a Streetview, interested to see what you've already got to work with.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

You might consider consulting the local authority for a couple of reasons:-

First, not all highway authorities are keen on permitting roadside memorials of different types as they are claimed to be a road safety hazard because they may distract drivers. (Whether this is a genuine cause for concern is another matter.)

Then, bearing in mind the growing tourist trade involving Lejog riders of different types, they may feel that an official marker of some sort is merited as a tourist attraction. A problem then of course, may be that "enthusiasts" liberate the sign, as happened wth the Tour de France signs erected in North Yorkshire in 2014.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Regarding the exact measurement Mike has sent me a link to RwGPS where it comes out at 508.4 mls
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26405677
RRA must have their own way of measuring 507.9

E2E info
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve just put that RwGPS gpx file into MapOut.
I’m happy I agree with RRA :D
9997A628-22D6-4873-B480-948C5C9B1E56.jpeg

E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Paulatic wrote: ... RRA must have their own way of measuring ...

In the dot-watching thread, somebody posted a link to the account of Lynne Taylor's records, including this:
... Just another 12 miles to do as a precaution to falling short on the distance when the End to End is re-measured. Remembering what happened to Dick Poole’s 1,000 mile attempt that fell short by a few hundred yards back in 1965...

http://caithnesscc.co.uk/CCC_Web/Archiv ... 5B1%5D.pdf

ie The End-to-End is a place to place record so the distance is academic, but it has to be measured by the RRA if it forms part of a distance record.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

thirdcrank wrote:You might consider consulting the local authority for a couple of reasons:-

First, not all highway authorities are keen on permitting roadside memorials of different types as they are claimed to be a road safety hazard because they may distract drivers. (Whether this is a genuine cause for concern is another matter.)

Then, bearing in mind the growing tourist trade involving Lejog riders of different types, they may feel that an official marker of some sort is merited as a tourist attraction. A problem then of course, may be that "enthusiasts" liberate the sign, as happened wth the Tour de France signs erected in North Yorkshire in 2014.

I’ve wondered about this one D&G are very keen to lift any unauthorised signs. You can retrieve them from the council yard.

I would put anything about 6’ back from the kerb back into the fence line. Anything closer would get knocked out by roadside grass cutting.

Interesting thought about tourist attraction though might have a word with the local councillor.
Would Sustrans be interested with it being on Route 74?

E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Paulatic wrote: .... Would Sustrans be interested with it being on Route 74?

I don't know but they might be. One thing for sure is that organisations like Sustrans have a good image with the authorities. They also have a lot of interesting signs and artwork so they must have some expertise in getting official approval. One issue to resolve would be how many record rides are commemorated. If you went back, there must be others in that general area, but obviously with less mileage.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Paulatic wrote:Would Sustrans be interested with it being on Route 74?

NCN signs like those in your Streetview (thanks) are erected by the relevant highway authority. Sustrans might have negotiated for their volunteer Rangers to put up temporary signs or even the permanent ones. If there are any temporary stickers about on the route it would be a good indicator that a signing agreement exists.

If there is a signing agreement then it may be worth asking Sustrans about adding a simple marker to one of the existing sign posts. Since it's not route signing it's really a job for the local authority but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Whatever Sustrans negotiating skills may be, artworks don't appear without funding.

Don't forget CTC have powers to erect temporary road signing :wink: .
whoof

Post by whoof »

You can bang a surveyor's nail into the (side of the) road or pavement. Not exactly a plaque but it will be a permanent mark of the point that no one is going to remove.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

whoof wrote:You can bang a surveyor's nail into the (side of the) road or pavement. Not exactly a plaque but it will be a permanent mark of the point that no one is going to remove.

Where would I get one?
Thinking of interim as I’m sure the paint on the tress will disappear this winter.

E2E info
gaz

Post by gaz »

The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

With all due respect I think you are going somewhat overboard in your enthusiastic recognition of a temporary mark.
As mentioned above, what would things be like if folk started sticking up plaques or commemorate items every time a record was broken. Why not one for every time a distance record was broken from 10-1000 miles or further?
Why should this one be commemorated and not all others?

In any case there's enough junk by the side of roads, unless it's a celebration of an indelible mark, first of simething or a life of significant importance then I don't think there should be a commemorative mark at all.

That's not to denigrate what is a fantastic effort btw.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The utility cyclist wrote:With all due respect I think you are going somewhat overboard in your enthusiastic recognition of a temporary mark.
As mentioned above, what would things be like if folk started sticking up plaques or commemorate items every time a record was broken. Why not one for every time a distance record was broken from 10-1000 miles or further?
Why should this one be commemorated and not all others?

In any case there's enough junk by the side of roads, unless it's a celebration of an indelible mark, first of simething or a life of significant importance then I don't think there should be a commemorative mark at all.

That's not to denigrate what is a fantastic effort btw.

Good Question, maybe I should have entitled the thread as "some form of recognition of a great attempt which concluded on my doorstep". Seemed a bit long.

I’m the first to grumble about the number of shrines around this area covered with tattered trinkets and plastic flowers. Sadly the only memories a couple of them give me are 'bl**y idiots pulling wheelies and causing a lot of inconvenience with subsequent road closures. I’m very conscious of the fact I don’t want anyone to think someone died there :lol:

So I think because it’s firstly a great achievement and secondly it’s on my doorstep.
I’d hope it would remain a talking point amongst local cyclists and perhaps something of interest for passing Lejogers. because it’s in the middle of nowhere without something solid I feel that point can and will be lost.
If I stand in Johnstonebridge Bridge, a physical place, it can trigger memories of Gething Butler coming through on his record ride. I can now stand on Beattock Summit, a physical easily found place, and reminisce about the terrible wet morning I stood there and cheered Michael Broadwith over it. He got the 24 hour record that day too. "Oh where was that" someone might ask. I could reply "it’s somewhere between Johnstonebridge and Beattock" or I might be able to reply, "you know where that ****" is on the side of the road is"

That might just be a cleared and painted Kerb. The fact the full width of the cycle lane is available at that point would alert most people. :lol:

E2E info