Broadwith 24hr plaque

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
whoof

Re: Broadwith 24hr plaque

Post by whoof »

whoof wrote:You can bang a surveyor's nail into the (side of the) road or pavement. Not exactly a plaque but it will be a permanent mark of the point that no one is going to remove.

As these are not something used by a DIYer postage and multiple packages mean the easiest way is to know someone, perhaps on here that could let you have one.
Unfortunately I now do something else for a living.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The more I think about this, the more I think that if you hope to do anything with official approval or more, then the tourist attraction of the End-to-End cycle tourists may be the key. AFAIK, both Land's End and John O'Groats are promoted as visitor attractions and not only for cyclists. The significance of the 24 hour record is that it's in the middle, sort of. In future, there's the possibility that the record will be broken, but it's not likely to be a frequent event. Depending on what was erected, there's no reason why the new record should not be added and the memorial shifted to the new mark.

I don't know with any certainty the extent of visitor income from LEJOG tourists.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

My thinking so far has developed to this;
Clean off the vegetation along the Kerb at this point and paint one kerbstone something to catch the eye. Affix to the face of the kerbstone a small 4” oval plaque. This might say
"Michael Broadwith cycled to this point in
24 Hours

I have in the garden a plastic plate which is 15 yo and still legible.
6F254FE0-B97B-4BBB-9218-8DED7E9C868D.jpeg

Keep the comments coming...Ta
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
gaz

Post by gaz »

Sustrans have information boards approved for use on/near the Network (subject to local agreements). A4 size, rigid plastic. The boards are "customised" by adding route numbers and direction or information patches, also supplied by Sustrans.
INF2.png

That leaves the matter of having a post in the right place and mounting the board to the post. Finding a post at the right spot depends upon the level of precision you'd be happy to work to, putting up a new one would require permission. Around here salvaging suitable brackets and mountings from broken road signs would take minimal effort.

IME the rigid boards are fairly fade resistant, stickers less so. Depending on the level of exposure to sunshine they can look tatty after four or five years. They don't survive souvenir hunters or air-rifle target practice.

Very quick mock up. The first paragraph on the right could be covered with a plain blue sticker.
INF2a.png

Sustrans can also make complete custom signs in A4, plastic or metal and a few volunteer groups have been trained in the art of erecting new posts. The further things deviate from standard the more likely funding will be required.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Paulatic wrote:"Michael Broadwith cycled to this point in
24 Hours

Don't forget to include "from Lands End" :wink: .
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

gaz wrote:
Paulatic wrote:"Michael Broadwith cycled to this point in
24 Hours

Don't forget to include "from Lands End" :wink: .

Yes thanks it had occurred to me later. :D

E2E info
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

1) I think that this is a cracking idea.

2) My only reservation is that it is 'only' the RRA record - the RTTC record is further (A Wilkinson 541)

3) I think that it is something that some official body should be encouraged to take ownership of (and ongoing maintenance, and my next point)

4) Four of the 5 most recent [RRA] 24-hour records were set on the LEJOG route. The last 3 of which are within 15 miles of each other. I think that it is a good story that all these happened in the same 'patch' and is something that a local council should celebrate (we have road signs 'round here saying that the London 2012 road race visited, for example). I like the idea of LEJOGers being able to cycle past (as an awful lot of them will, given that they happened on one of the most popularly used sections of the LEJOG) and going past the previous records on the way to seeing the current record - they can see the evolution (some of them will take half a day to travel the distance between records - mind-blowing eh?). This also means that if the record is broken again (on the same route) that they can see the next one, the distance, the date etc. This does not have to be a one-off.

5) Let's not forget the ladies (although I think that the current women's RRA record was set elsewhere)

6) Quick, stick a surveyor's nail in before that paint disappears

7) I am glad it is not me that is going to have to use a trundle wheel to measure the distance accurately!

8) I also think that something should be done at JOG - a roll of honour with space to have new name added (I may have missed it in my haste to get going but don't recall a list of record times anywhere visible)
FasterFerret

Post by FasterFerret »

gaz wrote:Sustrans have information boards approved for use on/near the Network (subject to local agreements). A4 size, rigid plastic. The boards are "customised" by adding route numbers and direction or information patches, also supplied by Sustrans.

Given the number of 'non-cycling related' information signs that Sustrains put on their various routes, I think that they could, no, should be persuaded.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

FasterFerret said
4) Four of the 5 most recent [RRA] 24-hour records were set on the LEJOG route. The last 3 of which are within 15 miles of each other. I think that it is a good story that all these happened in the same 'patch' and is something that a local council should celebrate (we have road signs 'round here saying that the London 2012 road race visited, for example). I like the idea of LEJOGers being able to cycle past (as an awful lot of them will, given that they happened on one of the most popularly used sections of the LEJOG) and going past the previous records on the way to seeing the current record - they can see the evolution (some of them will take half a day to travel the distance between records - mind-blowing eh?). This also means that if the record is broken again (on the same route) that they can see the next one, the distance, the date etc. This does not have to be a one-off.

That’s certainly given me food for thought...not sure whether I should thank you or not :lol: Seems like a project though :D

E2E info
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I think this thread with all the location information it contains makes a good ' virtual plaque ' for those

interested .Most people could find the location with their phones nowadays couldn't they ?

It's an amazing distance to me, that's near 22 mph average isn't it , fair play to him.
Nu-Fogey
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

How long does it take most people to reach that point?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

It was day 8 for the Wimps :D

E2E info
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Get a chainsaw-carved monument in your garden or on your house, then you can do it how you choose :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies