Weird interactions with other road users

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Ontherivet77

Weird interactions with other road users

Post by Ontherivet77 »

I have big ears and when I'm cycling and the wind gets in them I find it very hard to hear clearly, particularly when other members of the public seek to offer me 'advice'. The other day I'd just made a right hand turn and was a hundred yards up the road when this bloke pulled up alongside me wound down his window and did what appeared to be a Nazi salute whilst shouting something through the window. I was non plussed so called after him but he just drove off. After about 10 minutes I worked out he was shouting "hand signal" which I hadn't registered at the time because I had indicated when making the turn. A couple of days later a kid went past me and made the sound of cat meowing as he cycled past. Is it just me or is it a national pastime shout things at cyclists as they pass?
bovlomov

Re: Weird interactions with other road users

Post by bovlomov »

Ontherivet77 wrote:Is it just me or is it a national pastime shout things at cyclists as they pass?

A few decades ago it was customary for children to shout after cyclists "Get off and milk it!". I was thinking recently that it hasn't happened to me for at least 40 years. But I have had fireworks and full drinks containers lobbed in my direction.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Had all sorts of weird things thrust my way, shouted and thrown at me over the years.

Why? Person on a bike is an easy target and to a largely deprived UK population (they must be deprived if they don't ride right?) with an IQ in single digits, its fun. It's certainly not fun to have a snowball thrown in your face, punches randomly thrown from passing cars although verbal abuse can and is best just ignored (the senders like to give it but don't like to receive any back and can get violent, why spoil the day any further by getting wound up about it.)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Si

Post by Si »

bovlomov wrote:
Ontherivet77 wrote:Is it just me or is it a national pastime shout things at cyclists as they pass?

A few decades ago it was customary for children to shout after cyclists "Get off and milk it!". I was thinking recently that it hasn't happened to me for at least 40 years. But I have had fireworks and full drinks containers lobbed in my direction.

in my day the kids shouted 'oi, mate your back wheel is going round'. And if the cyclist stopped to inspect their bike the kid would should,'its ok, its stopped now'
Si

Post by Si »

On monday night i had a pair of yoof slow down to helpfully inform me "oi, you're wearing saddles to ride a bike". Well, im glad they cleared that one uo for me.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

bovlomov wrote:A few decades ago it was customary for children to shout after cyclists "Get off and milk it!"

I haven't heard that since the 70s :lol:
Generally it's plastic bottles etc thrown at cyclists these days :x
A friend of mine had a soiled nappy thrown at him from a car a couple of years ago :x
Some very strange people out there!
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

If it's any consolation you get the same as a jogger too.
I usually wear earplugs, so tbh I doubt I'd hear that they'd shouted anything above the residual wind and traffic noise.

It's a strange thing but riding is far more pleasant with earplugs and I get a lot fewer car issues. I think the wind noise makes the experience seem a bit frantic and you end up riding a bit 'wired' and jumpy...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tandem riders get all sorts or amusing(to the giver of them)comments and we usually have a retort ready,only yesterday a chap said to me as we pulled up outside a Co-oP "There's someone behind you" to which I replied "There's alway a better woman behind a good man" :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

The one I usually get is 'she's not pedalling on the back'. Although tandems are a little more unusual in Norway, so we often get positive comments, like (translated) 'cool bike!' or 'A tandem! How fun!'

I often use the tandem to take Littlest somewhere. I sometimes run errands, or return home, then go back and collect him later. Norwegians are almost as good as the British at letting me that I've lost my stoker. :lol: :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:The one I usually get is 'she's not pedalling on the back'. Although tandems are a little more unusual in Norway, so we often get positive comments, like (translated) 'cool bike!' or 'A tandem! How fun!'

I often use the tandem to take Littlest somewhere. I sometimes run errands, or return home, then go back and collect him later. Norwegians are almost as good as the British at letting me that I've lost my stoker. :lol: :lol:

Stock answer to "she's not pedalling" is "Is she knitting or reading".
If I'm riding ours solo the usual comment is "you've lost someone" to which the reply is " did you see where she fell off" :)
Children love tandems and we usually get positive comments of cool bike,though lately the comment has been "sick bike" which I'm assured means the same :) .
We were once stopped reading the map when a young couple(I'd guess late teens)were walking by,who enquired if we were lost.
When I said no we were just looking for the best route,she remarked how cool the tandem was,as she was quite tall like Mrs R2 I offered her a ride,she almost dragged Mrs R2 off the stokers saddle to get on :) .
We did about 1/2 a mile up the road and back,she was very impressed :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

in my day the kids shouted 'oi, mate your back wheel is going round'. And if the cyclist stopped to inspect their bike the kid would should,'its ok, its stopped now'[/quote]

... the traditional response is "so's your mum" (substitute wife or girlfriend where appropriate)
peetee

Post by peetee »

I have big sticky-out ears and almost always ride with a helmet. I chose one with adjustable strap routers (the pair-in singles-out side ones) that can be moved so a strap covers an ear and tucks it in. Winter riding is unbearable otherwise and at any time wind noise is drastically reduced.
The scariest thing thrown at me was a potato from a van moving at about 50mph. It hit the railings I was standing by and a chunk hit my leg which wasn't pleasant but preferable to the whole thing hitting my head as we didn't have the luxury of helmet protection back then.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Ontherivet77 wrote:A couple of days later a kid went past me and made the sound of cat meowing as he cycled past.

I don't even know what to say to this. :lol:

The funniest one for me was kids at each side of the road pretending to pull something tight (nothing was there). I said "What are you trying to do cut my head off?" :lol: It's a harmless one but one that makes you slow down or stop.
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:The one I usually get is 'she's not pedalling on the back'. Although tandems are a little more unusual in Norway, so we often get positive comments, like (translated) 'cool bike!' or 'A tandem! How fun!'

Actually the stoker is The Invisible Man :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

A few decades ago it was customary for children to shout after cyclists "Get off and milk it!".

My reply was always "Can't, it's a bull"