auto high beam lights

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: auto high beam lights

Post by Cyril Haearn »

thirdcrank wrote:
Richard D wrote:...But on the bike it always buggers my night vision for a while :(

Closing or covering one eye can help. You don't see better while you are being dazzled but when it stops, one eye is OK immediately.

Traffic policepersons habitually close all three eyes, as someone once said without thinking :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

meic wrote:Reversing my transit style vans with the external mirrors was a lot easier than reversing the Passat with a rear window.
The issue is height, from the vans you are looking down, so can see the floor. In the car you are looking horizontally and cant see anything below window height for many yards behind, if you are on a slope it is far worse.

Simply adjust the mirrors?

I know it has worked for me. Reversing along a narrow lane, with a high "verge". Lower the mirror angles and then use them to see. When complete put them back to the normal position.

What little rear vision that is lost can be compensated with the rear view mirror and looking over your shoulder
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Bonefishblues wrote:
peetee wrote:Am I the only one who finds it extremely annoying when 'polite' motorists flash full beam at you as a thank you or whatever? I have always indicated the same intent by momentarily switching off my headlights to avoid dazzling anyone. And while we are on the subject, a punch on the nose for anyone when sits in traffic with their foot on the brake pedal. :evil:

I agree with all of the above in every respect.
Spot on. Such actions confirm my thoughts about the awareness of many vehicle operators to what's around them :evil:
"42"
rjb

Post by rjb »

When I learnt to drive I was taught to apply the handbrake when stopped waiting for the traffic lights to change. When my daughter's learnt they were told to use the footbrake if they were near the front of the traffic queue when waiting for the lights to change. Hence the proliferation of blinding brake lights from queueing traffic. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Hence the proliferation of blinding brake lights from queueing traffic. :shock:

There could be another reason...BMW cars (and no doubt others) with electric parking brakes put the brake lights on when the auto handbrake is used. Pull the switch up and manually engage the electric handbrake and the brake lights remain off. I'm sure that there's a reason, it's just beyond me... :roll:
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~