auto high beam lights

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PDQ Mobile

Re: auto high beam lights

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Yet mirror just cracked will continue to be useful!
But of course busted up is no good.
Obvious I would have thought.

Still on a "sensible" vehicle, mirror replacement cost should be cheap enough.
My guess is camera replacement a lot more costly?

I am just old fashioned with regard vehicles, (and bikes come to that!).
Simple and repairable is mostly better.
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 7 Oct 2018, 1:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Not sure how that would fix this: https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrJ3s9ODrpbL68AqtTy3olQ;_ylu=X3oDMTIzZ2M5MHM0BHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANhYTljMmJmNGUyYWZiYmM4MjcwYzM3YTM4YWNiZWYyNARncG9zAzg1BGl0A2Jpbmc-?.origin=&back=https%3A%2F%2Fuk.images.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dbroken%2Bcar%2Bmirror%26fr%3Dipad%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26nost%3D1%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D85&w=240&h=160&imgurl=thumbs.dreamstime.com%2Ft%2Fbroken-car-waiting-repairing-rear-view-mirror-43395740.jpg&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dreamstime.com%2Fphotos-images%2Fbroken-down-car-side-road.html&size=11.4KB&name=%3Cb%3EBroken%3C%2Fb%3E+Down+%3Cb%3ECar%3C%2Fb%3E+Side+Road+Stock+Photos%2C+Images%2C+%26+Pictures+...&p=broken+car+mirror&oid=aa9c2bf4e2afbbc8270c37a38acbef24&fr2=piv-web&fr=ipad&tt=%3Cb%3EBroken%3C%2Fb%3E+Down+%3Cb%3ECar%3C%2Fb%3E+Side+Road+Stock+Photos%2C+Images%2C+%26+Pictures+...&b=61&ni=21&no=85&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=127a2m3jp&sigb=13hqqqbec&sigi=12imp2u0a&sigt=12crb57d9&sign=12crb57d9&.crumb=ECMDg8dZY/w&fr=ipad&fr2=piv-web

Seriously though, a rear view camera is no less reliable than e.g. a smart phone and is a lot less vulnerable to physical damage than a wing mirror. I don't think that unreliability/lack of redundancy is a good reason to decry cameras.

Incidentally, although better than nothing, that universal repair kit does not restore the full field of vision provided by most mirrors and could therefore in itself prove dangerous.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Yet mirror just cracked will continue to be useful!
But of course busted up is no good.
Obvious I would have thought.

Still on a "sensible" vehicle, mirror replacement cost should be cheap enough.
My guess is camera replacement a lot more costly?

I am just old fashioned with regard vehicles, (and bikes come to that!).
Simple and repairable is mostly better.

There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but I can't understand why folk decry technology just for the sake of doing so and employ specious arguments to justify their stance.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Airsporter1st wrote:
Seriously though, a rear view camera is no less reliable than e.g. a smart phone and is a lot less vulnerable to physical damage than a wing mirror. I don't think that unreliability/lack of redundancy is a good reason to decry cameras.

Incidentally, although better than nothing, that universal repair kit does not restore the full field of vision provided by most mirrors and could therefore in itself prove dangerous.

Fill your boots, I no longer have your zeal to prove or disprove everything everybody posts/says/thinks

I therefore award you the internet :D
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:

Fill your boots, I no longer have your zeal to prove or disprove everything everybody posts/says/thinks

I therefore award you the internet :D

Why thankyou, kind sir. In the words of Homer Simpson, when told that a new workmate did not wish to be his friend: "Do I have to do anything?"
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

This thread - and previously I was unaware of such automated systems - explains why I’m getting dazzled by more and more 4x4 vehicles these days.

Of course, if I’m driving my car I can "return the favour". But on the bike it always buggers my night vision for a while :(
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Richard D wrote:...But on the bike it always buggers my night vision for a while :(

Closing or covering one eye can help. You don't see better while you are being dazzled but when it stops, one eye is OK immediately.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

I see that "closing ones eyes to the problem" is how the Toyota owners' forum decided to deal with it, too.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:
In any case, what is your objection to shifting your gaze down a few degrees and refocussing to see whats behind you as opposed to shifting your gaze up a few degrees and refocussing to see what's in behind you? Similarly, do you never check your speedo, your fuel gauge, oil temperature etc???

Thanks, I didn't know about those. That's sensible positioning.

I do of course glance at my speedo and other gauges, glance being the operative word, and where I can through familiarity gain the info I need without a full re-focus being required.

My speedo and a few other gauges are projected onto the windscreen. I heartily recommend it to anyone wanting to avoid gambling with everyone's safety taking their eyes off the road so much.

;-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:
In any case, what is your objection to shifting your gaze down a few degrees and refocussing to see whats behind you as opposed to shifting your gaze up a few degrees and refocussing to see what's in behind you? Similarly, do you never check your speedo, your fuel gauge, oil temperature etc???

Thanks, I didn't know about those. That's sensible positioning.

I do of course glance at my speedo and other gauges, glance being the operative word, and where I can through familiarity gain the info I need without a full re-focus being required.

My speedo and a few other gauges are projected onto the windscreen. I heartily recommend it to anyone wanting to avoid gambling with everyone's safety taking their eyes off the road so much.

;-)

I have had this in my Prii and agree it's an excellent system
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Richard D wrote:I see that "closing ones eyes to the problem" is how the Toyota owners' forum decided to deal with it, too.
My thread was locked.
The moderators are very strict and DO NOT LIKE thread-drift. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

Am I the only one who finds it extremely annoying when 'polite' motorists flash full beam at you as a thank you or whatever? I have always indicated the same intent by momentarily switching off my headlights to avoid dazzling anyone. And while we are on the subject, a punch on the nose for anyone who sits in traffic with their foot on the brake pedal. :evil:
Last edited by peetee on 8 Oct 2018, 4:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

peetee wrote:Am I the only one who finds it extremely annoying when 'polite' motorists flash full beam at you as a thank you or whatever? I have always indicated the same intent by momentarily switching off my headlights to avoid dazzling anyone. And while we are on the subject, a punch on the nose for anyone when sits in traffic with their foot on the brake pedal. :evil:

I agree with all of the above in every respect.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:
Richard D wrote:I see that "closing ones eyes to the problem" is how the Toyota owners' forum decided to deal with it, too.
My thread was locked.
The moderators are very strict and DO NOT LIKE thread-drift. :lol:

You mean the moderators on the thread by "this one you ought to avoid"? :?
Bit different here, thread drift is quite normal :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies