auto high beam lights

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mick F
Spambuster

auto high beam lights

Post by Mick F »

Read this.
https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums ... t-working/

Am I the only one upset by this system?
A system that I never knew existed?

Highway Code Rule 114 refers.
Mick F. Cornwall
meic

Re: Is it just me?

Post by meic »

I guess that drivers are still able to dip manually, allowing them to be just as considerate (or inconsiderate) as other drivers.
Yma o Hyd
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Of course.
My issue is that automatic systems are designed to be automatic and hands free.
The more they are used, the more unthinking the drivers will be.

Switching to full beam should be a conscious decision.
I'm horrified about this system.

Maybe some drivers don't live in rural areas and have no idea what it's like so they design these things unthinkingly.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I am aghast. I never realised auto high beam existed. What a stupid feature, should be banned. Contravenes Rule 114, how is it allowed? Is the Yaris imported, perhaps contacting whoever approves imports should be contacted and challenged?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:I am aghast. I never realised auto high beam existed. What a stupid feature, should be banned. Contravenes Rule 114, how is it allowed? Is the Yaris imported, perhaps contacting whoever approves imports should be contacted and challenged?

Al

+1 bonkers system ! :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

I have been reading up and it claims it will improve on drivers' dipping to avoid dazzling.

If it was to dip for pedestrians and poorly lit cyclists without the driver having seen them that could be another source of danger worse than the aggravation of having been dazzled.

Another problem is that the activity of dipping and highbeaming is one of those things that helps to keep you attentive, occupied and awake on long boring drives. Many of the users see this as a way of not having to pay attention while driving.
Yma o Hyd
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I had a Peugeot 508 with such a system. It was crap.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

reohn2 wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:I am aghast. I never realised auto high beam existed. What a stupid feature, should be banned. Contravenes Rule 114, how is it allowed? Is the Yaris imported, perhaps contacting whoever approves imports should be contacted and challenged?

Al

+1 bonkers system ! :?

I emailed them. I expect they will say you just flick the switch into low beam if you spot a cyclist or pedestrian. We shall see.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This is what Toyota say:-

Automatic High Beam (AHB) is part of the new Toyota Safety Sense suite of active technologies to improve safety by preventing or minimising the severity of road accidents. Automatic High Beam contributes by detecting the headlights of oncoming vehicles and automatically switching from high to low beam (dipped) headlights to avoid dazzling other drivers. Consequently, high beam can be used more often, meaning pedestrians and obstacles are easier to spot.
Automatic High Beam is available as standard on new Prius, Avensis, Verso and RAV4, with the system optionally available on Yaris too.
(My emphasis)

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-car-saf ... icHighBeam

My only objection is that pedestrians and cyclists are more likely to be dazzled if the driver can't be bothered to dip. I'm not one of those who believe that all the skill went out of driving with the introduction of synchromesh. Perhaps there's a problem with car handbooks which explain all manner of fancy bits so you realise which goodies your own model lacks.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

meic wrote:Many of the users see this as a way of not having to pay attention while driving.

What evidence for you have for this statement? It sounds to me like a wild generalisation based on prejudice.
Richard M
Cardiff
meic

Post by meic »

Reading their comments in the sections after articles about this feature on the internet.

Its all there to read if you look.
Yma o Hyd
jezer

Post by jezer »

I have certainly noticed recently that some approaching vehicles don’t seem to dip headlights at all, or dip late only after a second or two of dazzling. I suspect these are automatic systems not working properly. I agree it is a very bad development.
Power to the pedals
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

A lot of cars have their headlights pointing all over the place or only one working. I mentioned optional extras above and a lot of drivers seem to put their various lights in that category.

You don't need an automatic system to dazzle other road users, just a lack of consideration. I had to do some granddad's taxi service tonight and the only time I was dazzled was by a couple of mountain bikers with high-powered flashing headlamps and powerful helmet-mounted lamps pointing at all and sundry.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: auto high beam lights

Post by Mick F »

I'm relieved that I'm not the only one.

I see the title of this thread has been changed. Quite correct too!
I was seething about this subject, and posted in haste maybe.

Having slept on this, I still feel the same, but instead of seething, I'm just disappointed and sad.

Our Yaris has automatic lights and automatic wipers. You don't have to have them in auto, but it is a good idea and saves you switching them on and off. The wipers have a sensitivity adjustment and it works well detecting rain and wetness on the windscreen.

As for the auto lights, (they work the same way and as well as my Edelux on Moulton).
Go under trees or in a tunnel, and the lights come on in dipped beam mode. In the dark, they come on straight away and you can flip between dip and full beam as if the lights were manually switched on. What it doesn't do, is automatically flip to full beam.

My issue is that once the driver gets used to an automatic function, it becomes the norm. Our Yaris is set to auto wipers and auto lights, and that's the way they are left. Sometimes, when I want to operate the wipers or the lights manually, I have to look at the switches to see what to do! :oops:

Just imagine having auto full beam?
It will become the norm and it will come on without any consideration for the population be it on the roads or in the houses with windows near a bend. I naturally switch between full and dip depending on where I am. As soon as I see someone or a house on a bend, I'll dip the lights.

Also, having done many thousands of miles in darkness, it's good to swap down to dip on bends or when cresting a hill so you can see if there's a car heading towards you. Auto full beam will make you just leave it on full until the headlights are actually shining at you when it'll auto dip. A good driver would have dip much earlier.

Full beam headlights - especially these days - are an unsociable facility. They should be used carefully, sparingly and with thought.
Mick F. Cornwall
MrsHJ

Re: auto high beam lights

Post by MrsHJ »

My old skoda Octavia had this system. I tried to use it but it really is hopeless-not designed for Devon roads. Not sure if my new Octavia scout has it-haven't even looked for it. Of course these things often go through gradual design improvements but probably an area for uk cycling to lobby on.

I expected this thread to be about varia from the title!