auto high beam lights

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PDQ Mobile
Posts: 2901
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: auto high beam lights

Postby PDQ Mobile » 7 Oct 2018, 1:31pm

Yet mirror just cracked will continue to be useful!
But of course busted up is no good.
Obvious I would have thought.

Still on a "sensible" vehicle, mirror replacement cost should be cheap enough.
My guess is camera replacement a lot more costly?

I am just old fashioned with regard vehicles, (and bikes come to that!).
Simple and repairable is mostly better.
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 7 Oct 2018, 1:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6777
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: auto high beam lights

Postby Bonefishblues » 7 Oct 2018, 1:35pm


Airsporter1st
Posts: 564
Joined: 8 Oct 2016, 3:14pm

Re: auto high beam lights

Postby Airsporter1st » 7 Oct 2018, 2:53pm



Not sure how that would fix this: https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrJ3s9ODrpbL68AqtTy3olQ;_ylu=X3oDMTIzZ2M5MHM0BHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZANhYTljMmJmNGUyYWZiYmM4MjcwYzM3YTM4YWNiZWYyNARncG9zAzg1BGl0A2Jpbmc-?.origin=&back=https%3A%2F%2Fuk.images.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dbroken%2Bcar%2Bmirror%26fr%3Dipad%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26nost%3D1%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D85&w=240&h=160&imgurl=thumbs.dreamstime.com%2Ft%2Fbroken-car-waiting-repairing-rear-view-mirror-43395740.jpg&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dreamstime.com%2Fphotos-images%2Fbroken-down-car-side-road.html&size=11.4KB&name=%3Cb%3EBroken%3C%2Fb%3E+Down+%3Cb%3ECar%3C%2Fb%3E+Side+Road+Stock+Photos%2C+Images%2C+%26+Pictures+...&p=broken+car+mirror&oid=aa9c2bf4e2afbbc8270c37a38acbef24&fr2=piv-web&fr=ipad&tt=%3Cb%3EBroken%3C%2Fb%3E+Down+%3Cb%3ECar%3C%2Fb%3E+Side+Road+Stock+Photos%2C+Images%2C+%26+Pictures+...&b=61&ni=21&no=85&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=127a2m3jp&sigb=13hqqqbec&sigi=12imp2u0a&sigt=12crb57d9&sign=12crb57d9&.crumb=ECMDg8dZY/w&fr=ipad&fr2=piv-web

Seriously though, a rear view camera is no less reliable than e.g. a smart phone and is a lot less vulnerable to physical damage than a wing mirror. I don't think that unreliability/lack of redundancy is a good reason to decry cameras.

Incidentally, although better than nothing, that universal repair kit does not restore the full field of vision provided by most mirrors and could therefore in itself prove dangerous.

Airsporter1st
Posts: 564
Joined: 8 Oct 2016, 3:14pm

Re: auto high beam lights

Postby Airsporter1st » 7 Oct 2018, 3:07pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:Yet mirror just cracked will continue to be useful!
But of course busted up is no good.
Obvious I would have thought.

Still on a "sensible" vehicle, mirror replacement cost should be cheap enough.
My guess is camera replacement a lot more costly?

I am just old fashioned with regard vehicles, (and bikes come to that!).
Simple and repairable is mostly better.


There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but I can't understand why folk decry technology just for the sake of doing so and employ specious arguments to justify their stance.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6777
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: auto high beam lights

Postby Bonefishblues » 7 Oct 2018, 3:19pm

Airsporter1st wrote:
Seriously though, a rear view camera is no less reliable than e.g. a smart phone and is a lot less vulnerable to physical damage than a wing mirror. I don't think that unreliability/lack of redundancy is a good reason to decry cameras.

Incidentally, although better than nothing, that universal repair kit does not restore the full field of vision provided by most mirrors and could therefore in itself prove dangerous.

Fill your boots, I no longer have your zeal to prove or disprove everything everybody posts/says/thinks

I therefore award you the internet :D

Airsporter1st
Posts: 564
Joined: 8 Oct 2016, 3:14pm

Re: auto high beam lights

Postby Airsporter1st » 7 Oct 2018, 4:05pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:
Seriously though, a rear view camera is no less reliable than e.g. a smart phone and is a lot less vulnerable to physical damage than a wing mirror. I don't think that unreliability/lack of redundancy is a good reason to decry cameras.

Incidentally, although better than nothing, that universal repair kit does not restore the full field of vision provided by most mirrors and could therefore in itself prove dangerous.

Fill your boots, I no longer have your zeal to prove or disprove everything everybody posts/says/thinks

I therefore award you the internet :D


Why thankyou, kind sir. In the words of Homer Simpson, when told that a new workmate did not wish to be his friend: "Do I have to do anything?"

Richard D
Posts: 224
Joined: 27 Sep 2011, 6:16pm

Re: auto high beam lights

Postby Richard D » 7 Oct 2018, 8:40pm

This thread - and previously I was unaware of such automated systems - explains why I’m getting dazzled by more and more 4x4 vehicles these days.

Of course, if I’m driving my car I can "return the favour". But on the bike it always buggers my night vision for a while :(

thirdcrank
Posts: 28648
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: auto high beam lights

Postby thirdcrank » 7 Oct 2018, 8:41pm

Richard D wrote:...But on the bike it always buggers my night vision for a while :(


Closing or covering one eye can help. You don't see better while you are being dazzled but when it stops, one eye is OK immediately.

Richard D
Posts: 224
Joined: 27 Sep 2011, 6:16pm

Re: auto high beam lights

Postby Richard D » 7 Oct 2018, 8:59pm

I see that "closing ones eyes to the problem" is how the Toyota owners' forum decided to deal with it, too.

User avatar
mjr
Posts: 13755
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 7:06pm
Location: Norfolk or Somerset, mostly
Contact:

Re: auto high beam lights

Postby mjr » 7 Oct 2018, 10:17pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:
In any case, what is your objection to shifting your gaze down a few degrees and refocussing to see whats behind you as opposed to shifting your gaze up a few degrees and refocussing to see what's in behind you? Similarly, do you never check your speedo, your fuel gauge, oil temperature etc???

Thanks, I didn't know about those. That's sensible positioning.

I do of course glance at my speedo and other gauges, glance being the operative word, and where I can through familiarity gain the info I need without a full re-focus being required.

My speedo and a few other gauges are projected onto the windscreen. I heartily recommend it to anyone wanting to avoid gambling with everyone's safety taking their eyes off the road so much.










;-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6777
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: auto high beam lights

Postby Bonefishblues » 7 Oct 2018, 10:45pm

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Airsporter1st wrote:
In any case, what is your objection to shifting your gaze down a few degrees and refocussing to see whats behind you as opposed to shifting your gaze up a few degrees and refocussing to see what's in behind you? Similarly, do you never check your speedo, your fuel gauge, oil temperature etc???

Thanks, I didn't know about those. That's sensible positioning.

I do of course glance at my speedo and other gauges, glance being the operative word, and where I can through familiarity gain the info I need without a full re-focus being required.

My speedo and a few other gauges are projected onto the windscreen. I heartily recommend it to anyone wanting to avoid gambling with everyone's safety taking their eyes off the road so much.










;-)

I have had this in my Prii and agree it's an excellent system

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 46430
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: auto high beam lights

Postby Mick F » 8 Oct 2018, 7:15am

Richard D wrote:I see that "closing ones eyes to the problem" is how the Toyota owners' forum decided to deal with it, too.
My thread was locked.
The moderators are very strict and DO NOT LIKE thread-drift. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall

peetee
Posts: 1363
Joined: 4 May 2010, 10:20pm

Re: auto high beam lights

Postby peetee » 8 Oct 2018, 1:08pm

Am I the only one who finds it extremely annoying when 'polite' motorists flash full beam at you as a thank you or whatever? I have always indicated the same intent by momentarily switching off my headlights to avoid dazzling anyone. And while we are on the subject, a punch on the nose for anyone who sits in traffic with their foot on the brake pedal. :evil:
Last edited by peetee on 8 Oct 2018, 4:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6777
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: auto high beam lights

Postby Bonefishblues » 8 Oct 2018, 1:48pm

peetee wrote:Am I the only one who finds it extremely annoying when 'polite' motorists flash full beam at you as a thank you or whatever? I have always indicated the same intent by momentarily switching off my headlights to avoid dazzling anyone. And while we are on the subject, a punch on the nose for anyone when sits in traffic with their foot on the brake pedal. :evil:

I agree with all of the above in every respect.

brynpoeth
Posts: 11006
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: auto high beam lights

Postby brynpoeth » 8 Oct 2018, 9:04pm

Mick F wrote:
Richard D wrote:I see that "closing ones eyes to the problem" is how the Toyota owners' forum decided to deal with it, too.
My thread was locked.
The moderators are very strict and DO NOT LIKE thread-drift. :lol:

You mean the moderators on the thread by "this one you ought to avoid"? :?
Bit different here, thread drift is quite normal :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life