The Guardian does "cycle rides"

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: The Guardian does "cycle rides"

Post by Cyril Haearn »

CyclingGuy wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Not if they drive to cycle :(

I do not want more people cycling, I want less motor traffic, much less

So if you want less motoring and no more people cycling, how are they supposed to get around?

'Drive Cycling' may well be a first step for many people into taking longer journeys by bike so surely isn't that bad a thing?

Just my opinion

Neil

Travelling less by whatever means would be good, society worked fine a few decades ago when few people owned vehicles

Often people talk about "more cycling" :? when they mean (I suspect) "changing to cycling instead of driving"

If one considers pairs of towns, Nottingham and Derby for example, many people live in one and travel every day to work in the other (d-n, n-d) because travel is too cheap and attractive
They should be encouraged, forced to swap

There is a recent thread about TDC, the tragedy of drive-cycling cycling
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
horizon

Re: The Guardian does "cycle rides"

Post by horizon »

CyclingGuy wrote:'Drive Cycling' may well be a first step for many people into taking longer journeys by bike so surely isn't that bad a thing?

Just my opinion

Neil

It's a really moot point. My impression is that people are just as likely to go from drive-shop to drive-cycle to drive-golf to drive-beach etc etc. Making that step of leaving the house on a bike and leaving the car behind is the crucial bit IMV. For many people that is a frightening experience involving social isolation, insecurity, physical challenges and traffic. But who knows?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher