Thrumming noise

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
kwackers

Thrumming noise

Post by kwackers »

Riding along this morning when I became aware of a quiet intermittent thrum (at approx wheel rotation speed).
Figuring something had been thrown up and and stuck in my spokes I quickly glanced down and couldn't see anything.

The thrum rapidly got worse, second look and still couldn't see anything.

By now it was at the OMG-something-really-bad-is-about-to-happen stage so I stopped pedalling and went into my "don't touch anything just roll to a stop" mode.

It was at this point I saw the guy with a large hedgecutter...

<edit> just to add, this wasn't a puncture - it was the noise of the hedgecutter I could hear.
Last edited by kwackers on 6 Oct 2018, 12:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
cycleruk

Re: Thrumming noise

Post by cycleruk »

Followed by the click, click, click as the wheels go round. :? :(
First thorn puncture in 3 years last Monday. :x

The thorn, in the side wall, was still attached to the bit of branch that it grew on. Clicked every time it passed the brake shoe.

Edit- (Sorry Kwackers, not meant that you had a puncture but it was the wheel rotation that got the grey cells responding. I went down a lane that had recently be hedge mowed and that was my outcome. It took me a while to realise what the clicking was as I thought it was something in the front tyre. :? )
Last edited by cycleruk on 6 Oct 2018, 2:48pm, edited 2 times in total.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

cycleruk wrote:Followed by the click, click, click as the wheels go round. :? :(
First thorn puncture in 3 years last Monday. :x

The thorn, in the side wall, was still attached to the bit of branch that it grew on. Clicked every time it passed the brake shoe.

A puncture I had many years ago manifested itself as a steam train.

I was suddenly aware of this 'chuff, chuff, chuff' noise.
Hole was in the 'top' of the tyre so I could hear a hiss that was muted every revolution as it went over the floor.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

First puncture I ever had - aged 11? - I didn't know what the hiss-hiss-hiss was. It sounded like I'd ridden over a piece of wire and it was making a rhythmic hissing sound as I rode along.

I had to walk home.
Mick F. Cornwall
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

At this time of year, I often get bits of twig, or leaves sticking to the tyre, and then Jamming against the fork or brakes, and it sounds like the hiss of a puncture.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:At this time of year, I often get bits of twig, or leaves sticking to the tyre, and then Jamming against the fork or brakes, and it sounds like the hiss of a puncture.

Had a wet leaf do that on Saturday - it eventually cleared but it's damn annoying!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!