GPX for navigation not performance

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Aileen Brown

GPX for navigation not performance

Post by Aileen Brown »

I have been using a Garmin touring for 5 years all over Europe & found it fantastic for mapping but after 5 years of heavy use, the battery only lasts 5 hours if following a route or 7 hours if just recording my ride. I have asked Garmin if it is possible to replace the Battery but the best they can offer is a like for like replacement at a cost of £75. I've looked at the Garmin Edge Explore which has the bonus of a slightly bigger screen (39x65mm) & the Explore 820 which has a 58mm screen(assume diagonal) but the more performance add-ons (linking to phone apps etc) the more drain on the battery. I'd like to stick with Garmin as I have all my routes saved in Garmin connect. Do I just manage by carrying a charge pack or is there a good replacement product which prioritizes mapping over performance & offers good battery longevity so I can enjoy 200k Audax etc?
Nigel

Re: GPX for navigation not performance

Post by Nigel »

The older hand-held Etrex models would usually last 24hrs or more on one set of AA's (either rechargeable NiMH, or if extremely cold (winter Norway) on one-use lithiums). Those can have a bike mount fitted - its what I've used for more than a dozen years.

But, not as slick as the bike-specific models.
Alternative is a phone battery-extender / charge pack to power the Garmin, or a dynamo hub with USB charging output.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

For a basic setup, first thought would be the eTrex range, many use AA batteries, and I have successfully run eTrex 20x for up to 8 hours, with some life left on a 2,400 rechargeable set

I tend to use mine for walking and geotagging, so I am out during teh day, swap batteries in teh evening and again a fresh set for the following morning.
Bez

Post by Bez »

I recently came to replace my Touring Plus and, after buying four different units with varying levels of frustration, I've settled on the Edge Explore and so far (just a handful of rides) it's proving a worthy replacement for the Touring.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Bez wrote:I recently came to replace my Touring Plus and, after buying four different units with varying levels of frustration, I've settled on the Edge Explore and so far (just a handful of rides) it's proving a worthy replacement for the Touring.

The review at DCRainmaker seems quite positive about the Edge Explore.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Aileen Brown

Post by Aileen Brown »

Thanks all. This is really appreciated. The Edge Explore sounds good as I would prefer to stick to Garmin to reuse the routes I've saved on Garmin Connect. I already have an Ankor charge pack(£10 well worth spending) which would keep me going for several days if I didn't have access to power & doubles up to charge anything else, irrespective of that bike I'm riding.
Thanks too for the link to the review.
Other suggestions or warnings appreciated.