Very lucky cyclist

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Tree nearly hits cycist

Post by thirdcrank »

Sometime ago, on one of our many threads about the responsibilities of the drivers of vehicles, I think it was CJ who pointed out that you couldn't act irresponsibly with a chain saw without getting into trouble. There's an exception to every rule

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... ng-cyclist

(Sorry if anybody has already linked to this.)
reohn2

Re: Tree nearly hits cycist

Post by reohn2 »

Unbelievable!
The tree surgeons working there should at least have stopped traffic whilst the tree was felled.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyclist was wearing a helmet, so no worries :wink:

(With acknowledgements to the thread running on Cycle Chat!)
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: One very lucky cyclist if ever there was one

Post by Mick F »

I'm shocked by someone cutting a tree like that by a main road with the public nearby.
Also, I'm shocked by the fact that the tree surgeon wasn't up in the tree cutting small sections off and lowering them under control, then coming down a bit, and cutting another section off etc etc etc.

I'm sad that this has happened at all. The cyclist was unlucky to have been there when incompetent so-called tree surgeons are at work.
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

threads merged.
mercalia

Re: One very lucky cyclist if ever there was one

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:I'm shocked by someone cutting a tree like that by a main road with the public nearby.
Also, I'm shocked by the fact that the tree surgeon wasn't up in the tree cutting small sections off and lowering them under control, then coming down a bit, and cutting another section off etc etc etc.

I'm sad that this has happened at all. The cyclist was unlucky to have been there when incompetent so-called tree surgeons are at work.

I hope the "tree killer" will be sent to prison there must be some kind of law against this

I bet he has been watching too many Hollywood films? Did he shout "Timber!"
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Solo working can't be right. There will be all sorts of H&S breaches here - the Tree Feller will be pining for the days before he ever saw this job.
slowster

Post by slowster »

There is a rope visible in the video, which was tied to the top of the tree and was apparently intended to prevent the tree falling in that direction. Clearly the rope was not strong enough (or more likely there should have been multiple ropes to provide sufficient retention), because it snapped as the tree fell.

It certainly looks like the contractor was incompetent, and will doubtless be on the receiving end of enforcement action by the HSE. Presumably the contractor was working for the local authority or the Highways Agency, since the tree does not appear to be on private property but on the pavement. I would be less surprised if the contractor had been working for a private householder or a small business, because they would be more likely to pick a contractor based solely on who quoted the lowest price, and that would be more likely to be an incompetent contractor who cut corners.

Public sector bodies and large companies are usually more careful about making sure that the contractors they use are competent, because they too are in the HSE's firing line if there is an accident and the HSE finds that the employer failed to make the appropriate checks of the contractor's competence.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Crikey - what a lucky one to have it miss! There should have been 2 other colleagues (tree-fellers?), but seriously he should be a)heavily fined and b)prevented from operating.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

fastpedaller wrote:Crikey - what a lucky one to have it miss! There should have been 2 other colleagues (tree-fellers?), but seriously he should be a)heavily fined and b)prevented from operating.

I see what you did there, too :)
rjb

Post by rjb »

Fell over in shock as he SAW the CHAIN approaching. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

you notice he didnt even look to see if there was any traffic coming so intent on his job. He is certainly for the chop, hook line and sinker.
I was at Tanners Hatch YHA a few weeks ago and a tree there had to come down - there were 2 guys , one who scaled the tree cutting the top off a bit at a time, and one below. As for the rope, what a pathetic useless thing to do, could have swung the trunk back into the houses/propertys there?
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

Actually, if the BBC were being true to form the headline should read "cyclist nearly in collision with falling tree".
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I hope the BBC posts the follow up report