Riding WITH a dog / dogs on lead.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MrsX
Posts: 7
Joined: 21 Apr 2008, 9:56am

Riding WITH a dog / dogs on lead.

Postby MrsX » 24 Apr 2008, 7:46am

I've done a search for dogs and found that most threads are with regard to dogs getting in our way and generally being a nuisance for a cyclists.

But I'm looking for advice about cycling with a dog, well two dogs really.

The first is my lovely labrador, Fletcher. He's a big lovely fool and as intelligent as a gnat. I need to find out if any one has experience of using anything like this:

http://www.pettastic-petsupplies.co.uk/ ... -394-p.asp

It looks great in theory, but my dog being very greedy will lunge suddenly if he see's a takeaway wrapper etc, and the thought of him doing that whilst attatched to my bike isn't very appealing, so I guess I need to know how effective the damping mechanism is.

The second dog is my mums little cavalier king charles spaniel, Daisy, who is getting on in years. I'm looking for a way to ride with her on board, maybe in a basket? Again if anyone has any experience I'd be pleased to hear about it.

I have thought of a trailer, but where I live is very hilly and just the thought of cycling with a trailer plus 40kg of dog brings me out in a sweat!

Thanks in advance, MrsX.

vernon
Posts: 1584
Joined: 8 Jan 2007, 6:03pm
Location: Meanwood, Leeds

Re: Riding WITH a dog / dogs on lead.

Postby vernon » 24 Apr 2008, 2:43pm

MrsX wrote:I've done a search for dogs and found that most threads are with regard to dogs getting in our way and generally being a nuisance for a cyclists.

But I'm looking for advice about cycling with a dog, well two dogs really.

The first is my lovely labrador, Fletcher. He's a big lovely fool and as intelligent as a gnat. I need to find out if any one has experience of using anything like this:

http://www.pettastic-petsupplies.co.uk/ ... -394-p.asp

It looks great in theory, but my dog being very greedy will lunge suddenly if he see's a takeaway wrapper etc, and the thought of him doing that whilst attatched to my bike isn't very appealing, so I guess I need to know how effective the damping mechanism is.

The second dog is my mums little cavalier king charles spaniel, Daisy, who is getting on in years. I'm looking for a way to ride with her on board, maybe in a basket? Again if anyone has any experience I'd be pleased to hear about it.

I have thought of a trailer, but where I live is very hilly and just the thought of cycling with a trailer plus 40kg of dog brings me out in a sweat!

Thanks in advance, MrsX.


Have you contacted the RSPCA for their views on such a device. I'm not sure that it's safe for rider or dog.
What happens if the dog stumbles?
How will you know if your dog is having problems?
What happens when you and the dog go past a lamp post on opposite sides?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 24 Apr 2008, 2:59pm

This device is the daftest thing I've ever seen(even dafter than those reel in leads that are so populer with dog owners),dogs should be walked not cycled with, somone will be injured!
I've witnessed two dogs bring their owners off the bikes one was attached one wasn't,it beggers belief.
You appear to be answering your own question.

PS I'm a dog lover.

mattk

Postby mattk » 24 Apr 2008, 3:39pm

As a dog owner and cyclist I understand why you are asking this question as it kills two birds with one stone, but please do not do it.

Take the dogs for a walk and take a ball with you.

Then just cycle on your own.

It takes up more of your time but you and the dogs will be safer.

MrsX
Posts: 7
Joined: 21 Apr 2008, 9:56am

Postby MrsX » 24 Apr 2008, 4:25pm

Thanks for your replies, guys.

I think you may have misunderstood the reason for my inquiry.

I'm not looking for a lazy way to take the dog for a walk.

Essentially I have to take two dogs for a walk, mine and my mums. To get to my Mums I have to walk through a large park, with a few minutes of pavement/cyclepath/road at either end of the journey. Theres no direct bus route. Basically it takes me so long walk there to pick my mums dog up that by the time we get back to the park theres not much time for her to have a walk.

So I can easily cycle across the park with my dog off lead (and he is a very fit dog, and can easily cope with keeping up with me on my bike), but obviously would like to have him restrained on the path part of the trip.

Obviously safety for me and the dogs is my first priority, which is why I was asking if anyone had any experiences with such devices. Do any of you who have already replied have any experience or your opinions based on a breif glance at the link?

Calandra

Postby Calandra » 24 Apr 2008, 5:13pm

MrsX wrote:Thanks for your replies, guys.


Obviously safety for me and the dogs is my first priority, which is why I was asking if anyone had any experiences with such devices. Do any of you who have already replied have any experience or your opinions based on a breif glance at the link?


I have heard from friends in the US, where such mechanisms seemed popular for a time, that they have caused (or rather, "been involved in") many serious accidents. Please don't do it.

I would also have thought, to be honest, that the safety of OTHERS using the pathway should be your first priority when using a mechanism like this, not merely the safety of yourself and your dog.

If the paths are only a short part of the journey, and your lab can run loose for most of the journey, why not just put him on the lead and wheel your bike for that section of the journey?

A small dog can easily be transported in a pet carrier securely fastened to a rear rack - I carried my Jack Russell round for many years on my bike and on my moped. As she got older, I lined its sides fully with cloth so she didn't suffer from draughts.

gilesjuk
Posts: 3270
Joined: 17 Mar 2008, 10:10pm

Postby gilesjuk » 24 Apr 2008, 5:25pm

I'd prefer to see a lead with a set of magnets in the middle such that if the dog pulls very hard then it will release. I'm sure you'd rather get off the bike and chase after the dog than be pulled off the bike and potentially injure yourself.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 24 Apr 2008, 5:38pm

Will someone please please tell me why they think its safe to ride a bicycle with a dog attached to it?
Even if there is a break away attachment the dog can then do as it pleases and if called back can bring the rider off,if it doesn't come back can cause an accident elsewhere
If it doesn't have a breakaway attachment there is every chance of the same result.
This can injure both dog and cyclist.

Why is that so hard to understand :? , the practice borders on lunacy! :twisted:

thirdcrank
Posts: 30856
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Postby thirdcrank » 24 Apr 2008, 7:05pm

:roll:

User avatar
Si
Moderator
Posts: 15184
Joined: 5 Jan 2007, 7:37pm

Postby Si » 24 Apr 2008, 7:46pm

I'd be inclined to put the dog in a trailer, tow it to your mother's and then leave the bike/trailer and walk the two dogs.

User avatar
lauriematt
Posts: 963
Joined: 24 Apr 2008, 10:26pm
Location: shropshire

Postby lauriematt » 25 Apr 2008, 12:08pm

what i do is take my black lab out on the country road on a lead beside me...then when we get to the farmers field hes off the lead!

works fine as hes pretty obedient!!

however...the other day he come across a cat or rabbit or something!!!
whoooossshh...he pulled me to the floor!! kinda funny at the time

id recommend using a cr@ppy old mountain bike if you can...that you dont mind breaking.

also google search for 'bikejoring' which is a sport like sleding with huskies!
gona get casper trained up on that i think when hes one!

byegad
Posts: 3232
Joined: 3 Sep 2007, 9:44am

Re: Riding WITH a dog / dogs on lead.

Postby byegad » 25 Apr 2008, 7:24pm

MrsX wrote:I've done a search for dogs and found that most threads are with regard to dogs getting in our way and generally being a nuisance for a cyclists.

But I'm looking for advice about cycling with a dog, well two dogs really.

The first is my lovely labrador, Fletcher. He's a big lovely fool and as intelligent as a gnat. I need to find out if any one has experience of using anything like this:

http://www.pettastic-petsupplies.co.uk/ ... -394-p.asp

It looks great in theory, but my dog being very greedy will lunge suddenly if he see's a takeaway wrapper etc, and the thought of him doing that whilst attatched to my bike isn't very appealing, so I guess I need to know how effective the damping mechanism is.

The second dog is my mums little cavalier king charles spaniel, Daisy, who is getting on in years. I'm looking for a way to ride with her on board, maybe in a basket? Again if anyone has any experience I'd be pleased to hear about it.

I have thought of a trailer, but where I live is very hilly and just the thought of cycling with a trailer plus 40kg of dog brings me out in a sweat!

Thanks in advance, MrsX.


I can't think of a better way to train a dog to chase cyclists. Be ready for Vet's bills if such a dog gets out as many cyclists will boot it first then ask if later to see if it was only following the bike. If Fletcher comes chasing after me it is asking for trouble!

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 25 Apr 2008, 7:24pm

lauriematt wrote:what i do is take my black lab out on the country road on a lead beside me...then when we get to the farmers field hes off the lead!

works fine as hes pretty obedient!!

however...the other day he come across a cat or rabbit or something!!!
whoooossshh...he pulled me to the floor!! kinda funny at the time

id recommend using a cr@ppy old mountain bike if you can...that you dont mind breaking.

also google search for 'bikejoring' which is a sport like sleding with huskies!
gona get casper trained up on that i think when hes one!


????????????????????????????????????????? :?
I hope this is a wind up. :)

thirdcrank
Posts: 30856
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Postby thirdcrank » 25 Apr 2008, 7:28pm

Does the CTC have a policy? Perhaps a spokesman could give us a lead.... :oops:

User avatar
Si
Moderator
Posts: 15184
Joined: 5 Jan 2007, 7:37pm

Postby Si » 25 Apr 2008, 7:36pm

thirdcrank wrote:Does the CTC have a policy? Perhaps a spokesman could give us a lead.... :oops:


Time to paws for thought as I think that you are barking up the wrong tree!