Stay indoors?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
peetee

Re: Stay indoors?

Postby peetee » 15 Oct 2018, 10:26am

Grandad wrote:
I think floods are pretty much the only other thing which would stop me totally.

Despite heavy rain for the previous few days and more on the day I was one of quite a few starters in a 100k audax. This was another rider negotiating the deepest flood we met.

20 years later I only set out in rain if I am leading a ride (and hope that no-one turns up so I can get back home asap :) )

If that were me, the photo would have been taken just before I hit the hidden pothole and ended the other way up, still attached to the bike, a stream of bubbles indicating that I was laughing at myself in a vain attempt to soften the ridicule.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 16 Oct 2018, 12:08am

I cycled with a pair of wheels (in a box) strapped to my back via bungees to the post office on Friday, it was fairly blowy, the kind of day you'd go out in and think, yay this is going to be fun ...not. I didn't have too far to go but the country lane sure did funnel the wind at times and was tugging at the box a lot. Luckily I'm fairly broad so there wasn't too much sticking out and my parcel foo is pretty good 8)

I don't think there are too many days of the year when it's really so bad that it's truly unridable but it always depends on the individual, their assessment of risk and also if they simply want to have to battle the elements which makes it unpleasant. If you don't have to why do it, wait for the weather to subside, either later on in the day or another day altogether.
Those that have a lengthier journey to get into work, were they might not have the option to choose (day or alternate mode) you doff one's cap.

pwa

Postby pwa » 16 Oct 2018, 4:19pm

The puddles have gone now but they have been replaced by hedge clippings, and they got me this afternoon. I went through quite a few drifts of clippings before I got that soft tyre feeling. I freewheeled a couple of hundred metres to a cosy recessed farm gate beneath a large ash tree and went through the procedure methodically and with some satisfaction. The thorn was visible from the outside, so that was quickly removed with the inevitable hiss to follow. The tyre came off without levers, inner surface checked, then new tube put in. It all went back on without levers, then a couple of minutes work with a small track-style pump to get it to 80psi. Tidy away and back on the bike. Ten or twelve minutes in total.

That back tyre is getting worn so I will put a new one on to reduce the risk of more occurrences.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 16 Oct 2018, 6:48pm

pwa wrote:The puddles have gone now but they have been replaced by hedge clippings, and they got me this afternoon. I went through quite a few drifts of clippings before I got that soft tyre feeling. I freewheeled a couple of hundred metres to a cosy recessed farm gate beneath a large ash tree and went through the procedure methodically and with some satisfaction. The thorn was visible from the outside, so that was quickly removed with the inevitable hiss to follow. The tyre came off without levers, inner surface checked, then new tube put in. It all went back on without levers, then a couple of minutes work with a small track-style pump to get it to 80psi. Tidy away and back on the bike. Ten or twelve minutes in total.

That back tyre is getting worn so I will put a new one on to reduce the risk of more occurrences.

Tis the season to Gator according to Conti!

I've picked up a couple of slows the last couple of weeks and that's on almost new tyres! Biggest issue on today's ride was several extensive apple and chestnut falls covering the tarmac. Can't ever remember seeing so much of this stuff on the roads before.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 16 Oct 2018, 7:17pm

pwa wrote:The puddles have gone now but they have been replaced by hedge clippings, and they got me this afternoon. I went through quite a few drifts of clippings before I got that soft tyre feeling. I freewheeled a couple of hundred metres to a cosy recessed farm gate beneath a large ash tree and went through the procedure methodically and with some satisfaction. The thorn was visible from the outside, so that was quickly removed with the inevitable hiss to follow. The tyre came off without levers, inner surface checked, then new tube put in. It all went back on without levers, then a couple of minutes work with a small track-style pump to get it to 80psi. Tidy away and back on the bike. Ten or twelve minutes in total.

How many of them minutes were spent pumping up the tyre with the teeny pump? I've done two punctures out on the roads recently, both for cyclists I've come across not cycling but walking with their bike. About 4 minutes for a change of tube (longer for a patch) but then bluddy ages pumping it up with even my nice but short pump. The patched MTB tube was the worst.....

I do miss full-length pumps, especially the Zefal. No room on a modern frame for one though. One could pump up to 100psi with a Zefal in no time, especially if one was a big strong lad.

Cugel

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 16 Oct 2018, 7:23pm

One could pump up to 100psi with a Zefal in no time, especially if one was a big strong lad.

From bitter experience, one could also easily pretzel a Zefal, especially if one was a big strong lad...

pwa

Postby pwa » 16 Oct 2018, 8:08pm

roubaixtuesday wrote:
One could pump up to 100psi with a Zefal in no time, especially if one was a big strong lad.

From bitter experience, one could also easily pretzel a Zefal, especially if one was a big strong lad...

I do have the option of a Zefal HPX on that bike, having a seat stay peg for it and two or three HPXs in the garage, but the smaller track-style pump is pretty good upto 100psi and probably a bit more ergonomic than the Zefals. I don't need to hold the valve end at all and all the pushing is down into the ground, not into my other hand.

BruceJ

Postby BruceJ » 16 Oct 2018, 8:09pm

When it's gusting to more than 25 mph I resort to the trike - much safer, and no, that flag pole is not attached to my head!
Trice Aug 18.JPG

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 16 Oct 2018, 9:57pm

pwa wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

I do have the option of a Zefal HPX on that bike, having a seat stay peg for it and two or three HPXs in the garage, but the smaller track-style pump is pretty good upto 100psi and probably a bit more ergonomic than the Zefals. I don't need to hold the valve end at all and all the pushing is down into the ground, not into my other hand.

But I yam an ole fogey set in his ways and against the fangles, especially some new ones. Curls my lip at a CO2 cartridge, I does. Pah!

Nevertheless, you are correct.

Cugel

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 16 Oct 2018, 10:38pm

Cugel wrote:
pwa wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

But I yam an ole fogey set in his ways and against the fangles, especially some new ones. Curls my lip at a CO2 cartridge, I does. Pah!

Cugel

Have to say, my go to pump used to be the late 70's Saba models, reliable, full length and you knew when you had 100psi as the handle blew out! These days it's a little Lezyne thing with a hose which gets the pressure in quite quickly without bending presta toggles!

Don't think it added anything to the weekends weather though!
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

awavey

Postby awavey » 17 Oct 2018, 1:04am

depends, if it sounds like its going to be a real slog, then I wont bother, Im not exactly aerodynamic so strong winds can be a pain as you tend to feel you are wasting more effort and get more buffeted about for good measure, and its important to me to enjoy riding a bike, for it to be fun, not to be miserable or a chore

fine if the weather turns and Ive been caught out more than once with slightly optimistic 40% chances of rain forecasts turning into 100% actuals, you just accept it as one of those things and get on with it, I dont mind riding in rain so much as strong wind, but equally I stayed indoors at the weekend due to the forecast and actually the worst of the weather missed us I could have snuck a few hours in on the bike.

I think when it gets above 30mph gusting its tricky, I know once actually on a sunday ride, it was nice and sunny, cool, and the wind wasnt that bad though I was beginning to tire from it and I was coming down a really steep hill quite fast when a very strong gust of side wind caught me and Id swear I moved a foot sideways which wasnt nice feeling at all, and have never quite taken descending that same hill with the same confidence since.

which is also probably why when one of the winter storms coincided with my commute home last year I went almost cycle path route the whole way just to keep out of the traffic as I didnt fancy being blown into the path of a car, course the path has lots of trees and then you start panicking about larger bits of them falling off and hitting you instead :)

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 17 Oct 2018, 3:04am

BruceJ wrote:When it's gusting to more than 25 mph I resort to the trike - much safer, and no, that flag pole is not attached to my head!
Trice Aug 18.JPG

A little sail on that and you'd be well away 8)

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 17 Oct 2018, 3:23am

foxyrider wrote:
Cugel wrote:
pwa wrote:I do have the option of a Zefal HPX on that bike, having a seat stay peg for it and two or three HPXs in the garage, but the smaller track-style pump is pretty good upto 100psi and probably a bit more ergonomic than the Zefals. I don't need to hold the valve end at all and all the pushing is down into the ground, not into my other hand.

Cugel

Have to say, my go to pump used to be the late 70's Saba models, reliable, full length and you knew when you had 100psi as the handle blew out! These days it's a little Lezyne thing with a hose which gets the pressure in quite quickly without bending presta toggles!

Is it one of these, I've just come into one with a bike bought last month, very tidy. I've been using a Specialized Airtool MTB for quite a few years and it works great for both HP narrow and wider tyres, the hose on the lezyne does have it's advantages but is a bit slower overall to pump to required pressure due to the unscrewing/screwing back up the hose.
Image Attachments
lezyne pump.JPG

pwa

Postby pwa » 17 Oct 2018, 8:24am

The pump I used yesterday was one of those and the entire operation, from getting off to getting back on, took maybe ten minutes without rushing, and that is with a 35mm Hyper at about 80psi. A Zefal HPX (which I do have) could have shaved a minute off that but at the expense of poorer ergonomics and more discomfort. I'd be happy with either. Both good bits of kit.

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 17 Oct 2018, 8:58am

The utility cyclist wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Cugel

Is it one of these, I've just come into one with a bike bought last month, very tidy. I've been using a Specialized Airtool MTB for quite a few years and it works great for both HP narrow and wider tyres, the hose on the lezyne does have it's advantages but is a bit slower overall to pump to required pressure due to the unscrewing/screwing back up the hose.

No not that - mine is a mini pump although it usws the same dual fit end hose.