Stay indoors?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

Re: Stay indoors?

Post by mjr »

RickH wrote:The M&S cycling chinos that were available a while back are (were) 98% cotton but 2%, you've guessed it, lycra to give a little stretch to the fabric. I'd challenge anyone to be able to tell the difference in feel to 100% cotton.

I have a pair, complete with the orange gripper inside the waistband. I've not worn them that much, so they've lasted a lot longer than any of my non-lycra trousers. Like you say, the label says 98% cotton and 2% elastane, but there's no way I'd mistake the fabric for M&S's 100% cotton chinos (which I also have). If I run my hands over the cycling ones, the fabric feels draggy yet sort of shiny/slick, a slight touch of the effect of a modern duster. The cotton ones are soft, smooth and plush.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

The utility cyclist wrote:Cugel, you need to brighten/lighten up and realise when people put a laughing emoticon at the end of a comment it's said in jest.
There are very few days when it's not windy, not raining, circa 18-20C, even rarer that you won't come across a motorvehicles on your ride, if you get that alignment for half a dozen days a year then you're doing far, far better than 99% of the cycling population.

The last time I had that was last year on a night ride but only after meeting a few HGVs and cars on my way to the country lanes. For those that can get total tranquillity and perfect weather (whatever that is for any individual) I'm happy they get it, I've no dark cloud, weather is weather, just pointing out the actuality.

These emoticons confuse me, since I often detect an angst and the associated black cloud despite the gurning yellow thing. On the other hand, I often feel that emoticons are unnecessary when one is attempting a drollery ..... but some lads are a bit literal-minded and even crammed with "facts" which they feel obliged to list, promote or even insist upon in a manner inimical to the notion "humorous".

Anyroadup, I feel you may have neglected to live & cycle in the correct places as even today I spend 4 hours out on the roads with the club and saw hardly a car. These days, motorists don't like to go more than half a mile from a main road in case their satnav leads them over a cliff. Also, they don't enjoy the sort of roads where you have to steer or brake, as such skills are often beyond them.

Incidentally, today was the 6th ride in the last 10 days, during which the sun shone, the zephyrs blew and all the bluebirds sang songs as they flew next to me in interesting formations. (Should I put a yellow blob face here)?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
hercule

Post by hercule »

The utility cyclist wrote:
BruceJ wrote:When it's gusting to more than 25 mph I resort to the trike - much safer, and no, that flag pole is not attached to my head!
Trice Aug 18.JPG

A little sail on that and you'd be well away 8)

I’ve got an HP Velotechnik Streamer fairing on my trike, it makes riding into the wind much easier (often pass roadies on carbon bikes!) and has a fantastic sail effect if I have a strong tailwind. Plus it does a good job of keeping much of the rain off.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

hercule wrote:I’ve got an HP Velotechnik Streamer fairing on my trike, it makes riding into the wind much easier (often pass roadies on carbon bikes!) and has a fantastic sail effect if I have a strong tailwind. Plus it does a good job of keeping much of the rain off.

Googling those it appears they're for recumbents/handbikes?Not really relevant to the OP? but enjoy anyway!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

100%JR wrote:
hercule wrote:I’ve got an HP Velotechnik Streamer fairing on my trike, it makes riding into the wind much easier (often pass roadies on carbon bikes!) and has a fantastic sail effect if I have a strong tailwind. Plus it does a good job of keeping much of the rain off.

Googling those it appears they're for recumbents/handbikes?Not really relevant to the OP? but enjoy anyway!

Why's that?
It's a tricycle just a different shaped bike with an extra wheel :)
Problem with fairings,like deep profile and disc wheels, is they're really only of any use into a block head wind,any advantage they offer is nullified when a 90 degrees corner is turned and the headwind becomes a sidewind,something that happens many times on any bike/trike ride.
That said a strong housing wind will have much less effect on recumbent trike than it ever would on any upright.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

20180118_120303.jpg
Great woods here in Dalbeattie for sub zero rides.Still don,t do steady rain though.