Stay indoors?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
foxyrider

Stay indoors?

Post by foxyrider »

Given the recent bad weather that swept the country, when / how do you decide whether it's okay to go riding?

I did go out yesterday, I saw others riding too but there were times when I did question my sanity. It wasn't so much the wind strength but the gusty nature, especially on exposed descents.

So just when do you stay indoors?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cyril Haearn

Re: Stay indoors?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

When it is hot and sunny, awful cycling weather
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Wind on its own would not keep me at home. Today it is raining steadily and has been for some hours, so I will not set out. If it rains while I am on the road that is fine, but I am unlikely to set out unnecessarily in anything other than light rain. I will go out in fresh snow, but it is only a few hours before it gets compressed to icy ridges when I am more likely to stay at home.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I agree about gusts being harder than a steady wind. And for my, even a steady wind becomes in effect gusty as you cycle along shielded by a hedge, then a gap and "gust" hits you then a tree with some turbulence around it, etc.

For some reason I find struggling straight into a strong headwind disheartening. It only affects speed but the effort vs achievement seems to make the ride even harder.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Being retired gives me options to ride when the weather suits me,but there was a time when almost nothing would stop me riding.
That said high winds were the exception and especially gusting winds over say 25+mph.
I can still vividly remember us on the tandem one New Year's day being almost blown off the road when riding over a high bridge(Warburton toll bridge neae Warrington for forum members who know it)struggling to remain upright was an 'interesting' experience I don't wish to repeat.
As the OP says gusting winds exposed descents or riding past gateways breaks in hedge and treelines,etc,and motorists in cosy boxes with no appreciation of how sidewinds affect anyone on two wheels,particularly cyclists who are the lightest wheeled vehicle on the road.
High winds and cycling definitely don't go well together.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Fair weather cyclist here!

In my yoof I'd go out in anything, right up to foolish stuff. I recall wading through a 6ft deep snowdrift up in the Dales for nearly a mile, with a group of others. It took ages and we were cold & sodden, especially after getting through then descending into Settle down a very long steep from Malham way.

If one is retired, there is ample opportunity to await windows in the weather that are clear & nice. Of course, the price is that one goes soft. I blame that central heating, absent from my life until I was 41.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Si

Post by Si »

If I'm being paid to ride I ride.
If I'm not being paid to ride then I'm probably recovering anyway, ready for the next time I'm paid to ride so I stay in; or commuting to do office work so I ride!
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

When I was MTBing I'd go out in all weathers.Nowadays if it's wet and windy I'll go for a quick run.I don't mind wet and I don't mind wind but both together and I find it hard to get motivated to ride.
I have a Smart Turbo and Zwift/RGT etc which is a last resort!
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Cugel wrote:Fair weather cyclist here!
Of course, the price is that one goes soft.
Cugel

It's not about becoming soft. It's about being sensible.
mjr

Post by mjr »

De Sisti wrote:
Cugel wrote:Fair weather cyclist here!
Of course, the price is that one goes soft.
Cugel

It's not about becoming soft. It's about being sensible.

Being scared of a little air or water is not sensible!

Personally, if it gusts over 50mph, I'll hesitate before riding because the 60mph winds on Friday ripped my mudflap off the bike and I don't like bikes getting damaged unnecessarily, plus bigger hazards than my stray mudflap may get airborne and unpredictable, so difficult to avoid.

If the air temperature is below 4deg C, I'll switch to the studded tyres.

I think floods are pretty much the only other thing which would stop me totally. I may shorten rides if I get the clothing wrong, though.
Last edited by mjr on 14 Oct 2018, 3:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

If it rains when i'm out .. i stay out, and enjoy.
If its raining when i get up .... i go back to bed with Jules ... :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Excellent morning for the 3 monthly car washing. If you live in a hard water area its good to get the final wash off with clean soft rainwater. On with the Peter Storm rainwear, out for a quick bodywork wash, and retreat in the downpour leaving the bodywork gleaming.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
peetee

Post by peetee »

Psamathe wrote:
For some reason I find struggling straight into a strong headwind disheartening. It only affects speed but the effort vs achievement seems to make the ride even harder.

Ian

Couldn't agree more. Rain doesn't bother me but windy weather, urg! Could be because I'm a lanky beanpole with a reasonable power to weight ratio and awful power to frontal area ratio. :oops: I used to commute over the Itchen Bridge in Southampton. It rises to 30m and strong winter souwesterlies hit it hard causing alternate sideways gusts caused by turbulence from the solid parapets. It has cycle lanes but it's very easy to end up a long way from them when the wind gets up. :x
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

peetee wrote:
Psamathe wrote:

Ian

Couldn't agree more. Rain doesn't bother me but windy weather, urg! Could be because I'm a lanky beanpole with a reasonable power to weight ratio and awful power to frontal area ratio. :oops: I used to commute over the Itchen Bridge in Southampton. It rises to 30m and strong winter souwesterlies hit it hard causing alternate sideways gusts caused by turbulence from the solid parapets. It has cycle lanes but it's very easy to end up a long way from them when the wind gets up. :x

I spent many years commuting by bike from Lancaster to Lytham St Annes & back. I dreaded a windy day, especially a NW wind as it seemed to be agin' me both coming and going. No hiding from it on the Fylde. It blows at you every second of every minute until you cry. Wot a relief to get back and collapse in a little heap of tousle-headed exhaustion!

Cugel, now an obsessive weather forecast checker.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I think floods are pretty much the only other thing which would stop me totally.

Despite heavy rain for the previous few days and more on the day I was one of quite a few starters in a 100k audax. This was another rider negotiating the deepest flood we met.

20 years later I only set out in rain if I am leading a ride (and hope that no-one turns up so I can get back home asap :) )