Pictures of rides

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cugel

Pictures of rides

Post by Cugel »

May one post photos here; or links to a photo repository such as that of Google?

I ask because I've taken to going out on solo runs with a camera, to record some of my old favourite rides before we move to West Wales and never return. Why not share the lurverly landscapes of The Bowland Fells and Western Dales, I says to myself.....

As a test, here's a link to my Chipping Circuit, which includes Harris End and The Trough of Bowland, via as many back roads as can be found.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6A69Wiemr1e9JY297

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
horizon

Re: Pictures of rides

Post by horizon »

Am I right in thinking that when you change access to or delete your photo depository, we lose access to the photos? This may have been discussed previously on the forum but I think it is a major problem with this type of link. The alterantive is to upload and embed them - simple enough by the way nowadays as the forum will convert them for you to the right "size".

Otherwise, yes, It would be great to see the pics!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

horizon wrote:Am I right in thinking that when you change access to or delete your photo depository, we lose access to the photos? This may have been discussed previously on the forum but I think it is a major problem with this type of link. The alterantive is to upload and embed them - simple enough by the way nowadays as the forum will convert them for you to the right "size".

Otherwise, yes, It would be great to see the pics!

Yes, photo repositories remain until either the photos, the link or the website itself is removed.

The time I would leave photos deposited in such a place as the Google repository varies with the purpose of the photos. Those shared with family, for example, stay "forever" (I.e. until Google photo repository goes defunct). Those for a forum such as this could probably be deleted after a year, since who would be interested in such an old post?

Will Google itself close down soon? Perhaps if I become dictator and ban the interweb on the grounds of taste. :-)

I don't know what the CTC forum policies are about uploading photos but generally they must have limited space. The advantage of providing a link to another repository is that the photos won't clog the CTC server, won't be resized in an effort to put off the clogged moment and therefore remain in all their glory for those who might want to look at them full size so they can see the sheep on the horizon and what the farmer is doing to the milkmaid at the back of the milking shed.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mjr

Post by mjr »

Another disadvantage is that many won't click through to a known snooper like Googly or Face berk. Please edit and upload here, to personal sites, or at least to something less aggressively Snoopy like cycle.travel, Crazy Guy, a media goblin or similar.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mjr wrote:Another disadvantage is that many won't click through to a known snooper like Googly or Face berk. Please edit and upload here, to personal sites, or at least to something less aggressively Snoopy like cycle.travel, Crazy Guy, a media goblin or similar.

But surely all websites contain snooping stuff? I clean out PC junk on a daily basis and the report of the cleanout tells me that just a small amount of browsing per day can generate around 250 tracking cookies. never miond all the other junk. Perhaps even this website includes a whole host of functions to gather your activity which are then sent to "trusted third parties"? I always assume so.

The best mode for browsing to reduce the spying to a minimum is to have an identity that's as unreal as possible. I never use my real name, not even for a Google account. Of course one must if shopping is involved so ....

Next step is to use a software tool to clean out as much as possible of the tracking stuff on a daily basis. You still have reports collated about your activity but you can reduce the amount in the report a little bit.

Of course, anyone using Window10 is automatically providing enormous amounts of data concerning their doings to Microsoft. And it's no easy matter to stop them. As to phone users - their every move and key press is gathered. They live in a Panoptican, even if they don't yet realise it.

So....

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cugel wrote:But surely all websites contain snooping stuff?

Most, but not all. I can't remember the last time I checked it, but this site was OK except for the infernal trappatalk.

The best mode for browsing to reduce the spying to a minimum is to have an identity that's as unreal as possible. I never use my real name, not even for a Google account. Of course one must if shopping is involved so ....

Firstly, they don't care much about your name. You may be known to other humans as Jo Smith, Gerry Dorsey or Englebert Humperdink, but you're still 2ACD5F78274E to Google.

Secondly, snoopers may be widespread, but that doesn't mean we should be voluntariily making it easiler for them by clicking dodgy goo dot gl links.

As to phone users - their every move and key press is gathered. They live in a Panoptican, even if they don't yet realise it.

Depends on the phone...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Is Google pics particularly "dodgy"? I would have thought not ... relatively speaking.

In all events, there's not much interest really, other than from the odd paranoiac :-) so I won't bother.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

You will have even better photos from West Wales but beware of Twm Shon Catti :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

When I was a student I often enjoyed a ride out over by Jubilee Tower, Abbeystead, and the Trough. perhaps the tree that my wife and I oft stopped by still stands on the way up towards the top. Not so many trees in that forest.
This scarecrow gives sound advice.
WP_000141.jpg
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Just had a look at your pics and was reminded of a brilliant holiday we had based in Chipping a few years ago.
Stayed on a lovely little caravan park, Brickhouse and had a fantastic time touring the area.
Stopped in Longridge on the way there and weren't sure where to park the camper.
A couple of friendly local ladies told us to park on the town hall car park as the mayor never works weekends.
Also pointed us to the best caff in town, where the large baps cost about a quarter of what we'd paid in the Lakes.

Lovely folk, gorgeous countryside......what on earth are you moving down here for :?: :roll: :wink: :shock:
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

fausto copy wrote:....
Lovely folk, gorgeous countryside......what on earth are you moving down here for :?: :roll: :wink: :shock:

More lovely folk and gorgeous countryside. :-)l

I already have over 2000 pics of West Wales. It's ever so scenic, as you will know. I suppose it is 'round North Lancashire and West Yorkshire too. I have 50,000 pictures of there!

50 years in NW Lancashire and enjoyed every minute. We're not so much leaving Lancashire as going to Wales - pulled not pushed, so to speak.

Cugel, riding Jubilee Tower this afternoon.
John Maynard Keynes
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Ok, I'll let you off then.

Now, regarding pictures....
I would like to showcase some of my pics and have put it off for ages, as I'm not particularly tech savvy and really don't know the best way of doing so.
I was thinking lately of having my own website but think that's a bit too daunting, so any recommendations folks for the best approach.
meic

Post by meic »

mjr wrote:

Most, but not all. I can't remember the last time I checked it, but this site was OK except for the infernal trappatalk.

Firstly, they don't care much about your name. You may be known to other humans as Jo Smith, Gerry Dorsey or Englebert Humperdink, but you're still 2ACD5F78274E to Google.

Secondly, snoopers may be widespread, but that doesn't mean we should be voluntariily making it easiler for them by clicking dodgy goo dot gl links.

As to phone users - their every move and key press is gathered. They live in a Panoptican, even if they don't yet realise it.

Depends on the phone...

This thread is currently showing (in addition to the site cookies) a tracking cookie from googleanalytics and two other cookies cdnsure.com and piwik.fonant.com. The last of those has a name that implies it created by our own forum administrator. He did inform us when he started about something like that.
Yma o Hyd
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

meic wrote:
mjr wrote:

Depends on the phone...

This thread is currently showing (in addition to the site cookies) a tracking cookie from googleanalytics and two other cookies cdnsure.com and piwik.fonant.com. The last of those has a name that implies it created by our own forum administrator. He did inform us when he started about something like that.

The gathering of data about what we all do on line is ubiquitous. It's a norm. It's generally justified by proposing that such data gathering is the basis of "better services". Sometimes this is true - but whether it is or not depends on your individual perspective.

Is it a "better service" to have ads targeted at you concerning your interests? Rabid consumers will say yes whilst others feel it to be some sort of pest, like a door-to-door salesman with his foot in their door. Some feel there is a "need" for government to know where you are, what you think and who you communicate with, since bad people are everywhere. Others just feel spied-on.

In all events, we can't easily use on line stuff without giving away lots and lots about our activities and predilections. If you avoid any and all websites that collect data about what you do, you'll soon be webless.

No one knows what the future holds but there does seem a risk that having large organisations knowing one's every detail could be a greater risk than it seems now. Already it's possible for suppliers to refuse goods & services to those they deem not worthy or a risk. They also now offer prices differentiated to various kinds of potential buyers. If you're a "fan" of something, the price goes up. If you seem better-off financially, the price goes up.

Many think government will not be interested in them because "I don't do anything wrong". Such folk know no history and are perhaps also unaware that what happens in other draconian domains (e.g. China, Russia and many others) could very easily become a norm here too. Your past on line history may well become a means for a much more totalitarian government to make you pariah or scapegoat - fodder for populist urges to find "the enemy within".

So what to do about web surfing? The truly paranoid (or the very naughty) can use anonymising or hiding services to obscure their real identity and location. But it's harder to do this than you think. For a start, unless millions use such services, doing so immediately identifies you as "suspicious".....

In the end, I try to preserve my real identity from ordinary surfers whilst realising that it's impossible to do so from big organisations. The risks are real but the cost of those risks realising is hard to quantify. So, as with cars, we'll all keep using web services until we have a web surfing "accident". It might be someone phishes you into giving them your bank details or it might be you fall for an expensive sucker-ad. It might be that HMG decide your rants are a signifier that you are proto-terrorist or criminal.

Cugel, peering into a murky crystal ball.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

A few more photos added from yesterday's ride over Jubilee Tower and into The Trough of Bowland. Included is one photo of a cyclist being propositioned by 3 chickens at a bus stop, not something observed every day.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6A69Wiemr1e9JY297

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes