Road Bike and Cycle Tracks

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Tjm1986

Road Bike and Cycle Tracks

Post by Tjm1986 »

Hi All

I went out on my roadie the other day for a 35 mile ride around nottinghamshire. Part of the route I took required me to go down the local ring road in the city centre I didnt use the provided cycle path as it is very unkempt by the local council the trees have lifted alot of the tarmac up and kids think its funny to smash glass bottles all over it. I do use the path on my hybrid as its a little more robust than my roadie. I got quite a bit of abuse off a van driver at a set of traffic lights about bieng on the road when in his words "theres a F in cycle path there why arent you using it ***head" I tried to explain why in a pleasant manner but this just made him hurl more abuse at me. Personally I can't see the problem as I am abiding by the rules of the roads stopping at traffic lights etc etc and I try to make it as easy as possible to get round me. I am allowed to ride the roads correct?

Cheers

Terry
Bez

Re: Road Bike and Cycle Tracks

Post by Bez »

Correct.
hayers

Post by hayers »

You are correct and I would do the same.

Generally no point trying to explain to those types - just try to forget them and enjoy the ride
Tjm1986

Post by Tjm1986 »

Hi Both

Cheers for that I just wasn't sure about the ring road as I am very new to road cycling.

Regards

Terry
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

In the UK there are very few roads where you are not allowed to ride (although there are a lot I wouldn't choose to ride on!) The no bikes roads should be signed suitably with a bike in a round sign with red border. (you will more often see the similar no pedestrians sign) There are a couple in Sheffield - the almost motorway Parkway and the A57 spur which connects to it. You wouldn't want to be on either and there are more pleasant alternatives.

I had a similar 'conversation' with a taxi driver in Sheffield at the weekend - the irony being that the cycle path he thought I should be using is always blocked by parked Taxis!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tjm1986 wrote:Cheers for that I just wasn't sure about the ring road as I am very new to road cycling.

Someone will correct me but other than motorway ones like Manchester, I think it's only parts of the Edinburgh (special road) and Northampton (25mph minimum speed) ring roads where cycling is banned, although motorist misbehaviour can make it unpleasant.

As for the idiot motorist, shouting back "there's a F in motorway neaby, why aren't you using it?" can be satisfying but they can't usually hear you over their noisy engine. Videoing them and submitting that to the police may be a better idea, but they'd need to do something visible like leaning out of the windows or close-passing, police responsiveness varies by area and best to make sure you don't video yourself doing something iffy.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Barks

Post by Barks »

It’s verbal abuse - take the Reg No, e-mail to the police, you never know this individual may have a track record of verbal abuse, or worse, and the overal picture will build in time until the police start to take such complaints more seriously.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I'd be interested to know which bit of the Ring Road you were on. The cycle paths alongside vary from reasonable to awful. The northern bits from Mansfield Road to Nottingham Road are not good, then get a little better after that - going west. I try to avoid the Ring Road and use parallel roads if I can e.g. Perry Road, but it's not always possible.

I've had similar abuse from a BT van driver at the Nuthall Road junction, who insisted that the sign of a bike in a red triangle means no cycling - which is rubbish, it means watch out for cyclists.

The only bit of the ring road where cycling is banned is over the Dunkirk flyover, near the QMC, and only over the flyover itself.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Tjm1986

Post by Tjm1986 »

TrevA wrote:I'd be interested to know which bit of the Ring Road you were on. The cycle paths alongside vary from reasonable to awful. The northern bits from Mansfield Road to Nottingham Road are not good, then get a little better after that - going west. I try to avoid the Ring Road and use parallel roads if I can e.g. Perry Road, but it's not always possible.

I've had similar abuse from a BT van driver at the Nuthall Road junction, who insisted that the sign of a bike in a red triangle means no cycling - which is rubbish, it means watch out for cyclists.

The only bit of the ring road where cycling is banned is over the Dunkirk flyover, near the QMC, and only over the flyover itself.

Its the part going for Nuthall road towards Basford the rest has recently been repaired but the stretch near blue coat school is always littered with glass from the kids. I use the cycle path from the crown island up to the aspley lane junction as its in pretty good shape.

Cheers

Terry
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

TrevA wrote:The only bit of the ring road where cycling is banned is over the Dunkirk flyover, near the QMC, and only over the flyover itself.

Are you sure?
I can't see any signs on street view.

Roads with cycling bans can be seen on this map:http://product.itoworld.com/map/151?lon=-1.10930&lat=52.93418&zoom=11
Not much around Nottingham - and I'm pretty sure you are allowed to cycle on the A46.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

It always used to be - there was a bike in a red circle sign on the approach, but I've not noticed it recently.

Edit - just checked Google maps street view and the signs banning cycling are no longer there, so the ban at Dunkirk may have been lifted. Not that I'd want to ride over it anyway.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Tjm1986 wrote:I am allowed to ride the roads correct?

Yes, cyclists have a RIGHT to use roads (except motorways) whereas drivers of motor vehicles are ALLOWED to use them under certain conditions (ie MOT, License, tax insurance etc). The provision of cycle specific infrastructure such as cycle lanes, in no way diminishes this RIGHT. Tell them to F off.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Try explaining to a moton that one is allowed to cycle on a road where there is a parallel cycle path, seems a bit illogical even if the law allows it
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Try explaining to a moton that one is allowed to cycle on a road where there is a parallel cycle path, seems a bit illogical even if the law allows it

No more than being allowed to drive on a road where there is a parallel motorway, which is most of them.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

No more than being allowed to drive on a road where there is a parallel motorway, which is most of them.

???