Car Indicators - Is it me?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

Re: Car Indicators - Is it me?

Post by mjr »

Sum wrote:
mjr wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Maybe indicators should be banned :wink:

Drove a Japanese car once (This One You Ought To Avoid), the indicator stalk was on the right!!!

Been there, done that, wiped the windscreen on entry to a roundabout - dangerous!

The highway Code wrote:Rule 97
Before setting off.
You should ensure that
you know where all the controls are and how to use them before you need them. Not all vehicles are the same; do not wait until it is too late to find out

I knew where they were but I was still surprised how easily one is fooled by the superficial similarity of controls in different cars. At least I've no danger of mistaking a bicycle gear lever for any of its other controls even if it moves between bars and downtube on different bikes.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Barks

Post by Barks »

And the design of roundabouts, particularly large ones, encourages the ‘racers’ amongst the drivers to maintain speed through the junction I suppose to maintain traffic flow ‘efficiency’. The only trouble round here (west of London) is that this causes frequent collisions when people misjudge and then the efficiency goes out of the window. Less speed, more haste is a term lost on drivers buying cars that are sold on the basis of their high performance levels.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

Barks wrote:And the design of roundabouts, particularly large ones, encourages the ‘racers’ amongst the drivers to maintain speed through the junction I suppose to maintain traffic flow ‘efficiency’. The only trouble round here (west of London) is that this causes frequent collisions when people misjudge and then the efficiency goes out of the window. Less speed, more haste is a term lost on drivers buying cars that are sold on the basis of their high performance levels.

On the other hand you get the drivers who slow right down and even stop on the approach to a roundabout, when it is patently obvious that it is clear and safe to continue.

People buy racing bikes with no intention of exploiting their potential perfomance. People buy high performance cars with no intention of exploiting their potential perfomance. What's the difference - other than 'cars bad, cycles good'?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Two wheels good, four wheels bad :wink:

Quite possible many drivers do not know the way and are being careful, +1

I am proud to report that I was once stopped by the cops because I was driving abnormally (?) slowly
Not been stopped for going too fast. Yet
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
althebike

Post by althebike »

I have noticed , even when driving, that you need to be looking from the right angle to see indicators on some cars. Getting slightly off topic here, I am always amazed at how often I clearly put my right arm out to make a right turn on a bike, move towards the middle of the road and still get overtaken by cars, it seems indicators and hand signals are often ignored by motorists anyway.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Airsporter1st wrote:On the other hand you get the drivers who slow right down and even stop on the approach to a roundabout, when it is patently obvious that it is clear and safe to continue.

I'd prefer people to be overcautious than under, wouldn't you? I admire people who dare to stop. After all, if someone is crashed into by a following car as a result of stopping when it wasn't strictly necessary, the driver behind was not driving within what they could see to be clear, therefore isn't competent, therefore should be stopped from driving and has been, so the stopping driver has actually done us a solid by preventing further incompetence that might hurt someone walking or cycling.

Airsporter1st wrote:People buy racing bikes with no intention of exploiting their potential perfomance. People buy high performance cars with no intention of exploiting their potential perfomance. What's the difference - other than 'cars bad, cycles good'?

Of those who actually use the cars or bikes, who has no intention of exploiting their potential perfomance? I think both high performance cars and bikes accelerate more readily, which can be an advantage if used responsibly and, yes, fun. I suspect a high performance car that accelerated well but had a top speed of maybe 110mph (so that's the highest current speed limit anywhere in the world, plus 10mph for future-proofing even if I think limits will lower) would still sell in good numbers and only deter those who want to go for track days.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Unfortunately there is one country where some stretches of Autobahn have no maximum speed limit :(

I certainly do not want to drive my vehicle to the maximum. Had a vehicle allegedly capable of 108 mph once. I enjoyed driving it at half-power, 100 kmh :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies