1.5m rucksack covers

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Si

1.5m rucksack covers

Post by Si »

These arrived on my desk recently.

Wonder if they will help? Or will they act as a flo-yellow rag to a bull in a few cases?

NATURAL ANKLING

Re: 1.5m rucksack covers

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
A good idea it might work.
We need something anyway.
I think the way forward would be a code of practice we are not going to get a new law any time soon.
I even thought of a T-shirt with something like 360° angry car Cam on Board.

(Text by voice, it’s not perfect)
Last edited by NATURAL ANKLING on 18 Oct 2018, 10:18am, edited 1 time in total.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Not sure it's going to help much when the rucksack's in the basket!

As you know, I think breaking up the human shape is unhelpful and encourages motorists to close-pass like they do other metal vehicles, rather than treating us a humans that their vehicle will really hurt if it makes contact. I also think giving them something detailed to read will only make them look at you longer and many will steer towards you longer as a result.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Should be 2 m
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
RickH

Post by RickH »

mjr wrote:I also think giving them something detailed to read will only make them look at you longer and many will steer towards you longer as a result.

I've also heard it argued (it was quite some time ago & I don't know if there has been any serious research done) that writing on your clothing will engage a driver's brain as it tries to make sense of it, even if just subconsciously, meking you more likely to be noticed. Even if that is true, whether that has any effect of the driver's actions is a whole different argument.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

RickH wrote:
mjr wrote:I also think giving them something detailed to read will only make them look at you longer and many will steer towards you longer as a result.

I've also heard it argued (it was quite some time ago & I don't know if there has been any serious research done) that writing on your clothing will engage a driver's brain as it tries to make sense of it, even if just subconsciously, meking you more likely to be noticed. Even if that is true, whether that has any effect of the driver's actions is a whole different argument.

Quite possible, might start motons brains working, maybe with spelling mistakes - polite notis?

Nudging/marginal gains might apply
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

I think it might help the majority of motorists who are passing, but provoke a small minority to drive even closer. They'll be angry because they don't like being told what to do.

By the way, I read the title as 1.5 million rucksack covers. I thought someone had over-ordered.
mjr

Post by mjr »

bovlomov wrote:By the way, I read the title as 1.5 million rucksack covers. I thought someone had over-ordered.

I just thought they were for big rucksacks.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Airsporter1st

Post by Airsporter1st »

mjr wrote:
bovlomov wrote:By the way, I read the title as 1.5 million rucksack covers. I thought someone had over-ordered.

I just thought they were for big rucksacks.

Maybe that's the answer - a rucksack which extends 1.5m to the offside. Might be a bit unbalanced, though.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Semaphore arms do actually work, a rucksack civer is always going to be of limited use to anyone not commuting with a backpack.

1.6 m - in your dreams! I had two close passes yesterday, one was intentional almost brushing my leg, the other one a result of not reading the road and cutting in to avoid a refuge - after all, like indicators, brakes are an optional extra.

This latter scenario is quite a regular occurrence, the drivers know they have done wrong by you and invariably then slow and check their rear view mirror mirror- not sure what for, maybe to see if they've forced me off the road. As a result, refuges are one of my most hated bits of road infrastructure.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!