How far?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
foxyrider

How far?

Post by foxyrider »

As a third generation cyclist I was brought up on tales of cycling in the fifties and earlier. Often these involved rides that to me in my formative years sounded epic eg rides down to the south coast and back to London of an evening. I was truly impressed but whilst I did take to cycling as a sallow youth I never really took to regular long distance rides.

Over the years that has changed, and whilst not exactly epic, these days I think nothing of knocking out rides of 60, 70, 80 or more miles. I rattled round a 95 miler the other day and my cousin (a very occasional rider it has to be said) was quite surprised that his older cousin (I'm a mere 55) was knocking out those miles in a single day.

On the other hand it seems that those all day mile crunching club rides I used to do are pretty much a thing of the past, most now not even clocking 50 miles.

My curiosity piqued I got to wondering what people do actually consider a 'normal' ride these days? My average ride this year is @60 miles, is that high, low or pretty average?

I'm not really interested in how epic you have ridden - i've done epic, just what your normal sort of run out is.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cugel

Re: How far?

Post by Cugel »

It depends....

When I go out by myself I rarely bother, these days, to ride more than 40 miles. All of these rides are circular and done for exercise, relaxation or even to take photos. In my younger day I would do 100+ rides as a tourist (hostelling, usually) or training for racing. Sometimes I'd cycle across the Pennines from Morecambe to Tyneside and back again another day, to see relatives. Club Sunday runs were often 100+ as we were all young then; and most raced.

If I go out with the club these days (probably 3 out of 5 rides) the mileages tend to be greater than when I go out by myself, despite the average age being much greater than it was for the same club runs 40 years ago. (The younger element tend to go out by themselves Strava-striving - sad really). Sundays are usually 70-90 miles whilst Wednesdays and Fridays are 50-60. It's easier with a group since you're distracted from discomforts by chatter and get a rest in the bunch most of the time. Of course there is a bit of "racing" to the top of hills and for village signs so I'm tired oot afterwards. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

Depends on the bike, and time available. Generally I'm a 30 - 40 miles ride kind of guy when the family are home. But the joy of being a shift worker gives freedom in the week to go longer, so I'll always do at least a 63 miles and 100 miles ride each month.
ATM the recumbent rides are shorter, typically 20 miles or so, but sometimes far more enjoyable....
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have done upto about 250 miles in a 24 hour period, but these days a good ride is about 30. I can manage 60 but I don't normally feel like it.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

For a general ride with no aim to go anywhere, 35-40 miles, It'll depend on my mood, weather, how much time I have as to hard I push, so sometimes I'll go for a really hard 15 mile burn up on an up and down loop route. When I visit my folks I'll often plan something around 45-50 miles which depending on which direction I take out of the city can be easy as you like or a bit more challenging, being flatlandia to the East and hillier to the West. My aunties caravan is located to the East so somehow there's more soft 50 milers on my visits :lol:

For a tour I probably would do around 50-70 a day but again depends on what the ride is for, the location as well as elevation gains, I'm no mountain goat by any stretch.
One of my biggest issues and has been for a long time now is a chronic illness that can flare up at any time so I have to think carefully about back up plan in terms of cutting rides short or just cancelling a ride altogether, I've had to rejig plans when on tour more than a few times and each day can be stressful when you're not sure how things are. It's the unpredictability that gets me down at times, one day you're a champ and 70 miles is like nipping down to the shops for a loaf and some milk, the next day the world is falling out of your arris, you feel like the life has been sucked out of you and riding a bike is the last thing you really want to do. Those bad days even a very short distance feels like the hardest ride you've ever done and just not enjoyable in the slightest.
Still, mustn't grumble, I've still got my legs and most of my faculties 8)
PH

Post by PH »

Unless it's in company (Usually the CTC group), or utility, or an Audax, I like to go out all day, usually with a train in at least one direction. Shortest of these this year has been 80 miles, most over 100 and the longest 220, far more importantly I've ridden through some lovely countryside I haven't explored before. This has become the main focus of my riding and I've done at least one a month since Easter and a few before. This wasn't always the case, until a couple of years ago the bulk of my mileage would be 20 -30 mile rides a few times a week, riding just for the pleasure of being out on a bike, without too much regard for where. My interest in these has waned, I don't think I've done any this year and not many last. I don't know why that is, I wouldn't say one is better than the other, or that it might not change again, only thing that matters is that it remains a pleasure.
Going back to previous generations, my Dad and Uncle both cycled in their youth without ever considering themselves cyclists. I didn't pay much attention to the distances and places in the tales of their adventures till I started cycling myself. They seem to have ridden what most of us would consider a serious ride to go to a dance or football match...
mjr

Post by mjr »

It depends how far away the thing I want to go to is!

10 miles is a typical utility ride. 40 is a good distance for touring or a day trip. Today was 75 because the arboretum is 33 miles away and add ten to meet friends to ride with and detour to shops on the way home.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Si

Post by Si »

I seem to only ride for work these days, so depends where im working. This week ive been at a local school so 4 to 8 miles. If im in a school in, say, longbridge then around 45miles. If in the office then 12 to 20 miles.

On the rare occassion i get to ride for me then it'll probably be a 20-40mile gravel bike ride on bridleways and tracks through the woods.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Commute is a round trip 26 miles, often twice a week. Around 60 miler either Saturday or Sunday, back for lunch. 100+ per week is the aim in Spring, Summer and Autumn. Up to 100 in Winter, weather dependant
Occasionally I'll chuck the bike in the car and explore somewhere different for the day, conscious that I work and have a family :)
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The OP's enquiry begs the question.Does it matter?

Any given ride for me varies between 10 and 40miles depending on who's the stoker on the tandem,or time I have to myself when riding solo.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hondated

Post by hondated »

reohn2 wrote:The OP's enquiry begs the question.Does it matter?

Any given ride for me varies between 10 and 40miles depending on who's the stoker on the tandem,or time I have to myself when riding solo.

+1 Decided a long time ago clubs are not for me so I mainly cycle 12 - 20 miles when I go out on my own.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

hondated wrote:

+1 Decided a long time ago clubs are not for me so I mainly cycle 12 - 20 miles when I go out on my own.
Yep! :D

However ................ one needs a REASON to go for ride. I can go out and ride 10 - 20 - 30 miles, but I'm not satisfied unless it's 40miles plus, but I need a destination and a reason these days.

Hence trying to ride all the roads in Cornwall, plus riding over all the bridges over the A30 Exeter to LE, plus my new task to ride to all the parish churches in Cornwall.
I've done JOGLE, done LEGOG and Back, and done JOGLE on a Chopper, plus been up and down from Cornwall to Scotland, England and Wales as well as Yorkshire and back.

Out tomorrow for more Cornish Parish Churches. Quite a task, as there's 225 of them, and so far done 75. Tomorrow will take the total up to 85 and later in the week will get me up to 98. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

I'm a bit like Mick. I like a reason. A good ones is just to come back knackered.
60 this morning is a typical Sunday am club run. 100+ in the week total for me and at this time of year 40 are split between 2 gravel chain gang rides after dark.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Mick F wrote:
hondated wrote:

Yep! :D

However ................ one needs a REASON to go for ride. I can go out and ride 10 - 20 - 30 miles, but I'm not satisfied unless it's 40miles plus, but I need a destination and a reason these days.

Hence trying to ride all the roads in Cornwall, plus riding over all the bridges over the A30 Exeter to LE, plus my new task to ride to all the parish churches in Cornwall.
I've done JOGLE, done LEGOG and Back, and done JOGLE on a Chopper, plus been up and down from Cornwall to Scotland, England and Wales as well as Yorkshire and back.

Out tomorrow for more Cornish Parish Churches. Quite a task, as there's 225 of them, and so far done 75. Tomorrow will take the total up to 85 and later in the week will get me up to 98. :D

Enjoy . It's not as if I can even say well you've got no hills where you live is it ! :lol:
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

mattsccm wrote:I'm a bit like Mick. I like a reason. A good ones is just to come back knackered.
60 this morning is a typical Sunday am club run. 100+ in the week total for me and at this time of year 40 are split between 2 gravel chain gang rides after dark.

Yep, I'd agree. Though I love the ride, an evening back home in a worn out, physically knackered state, c/w meal/newspaper/film/wine whatever can be great!

Suppose my typical are 30-60 with an occasional 80-120 thrown in. Though my 80+ were far more frequent when based in a scenic part of the country during the first half of this year.

Used to do 20's 4/5 occ's per week when a regular user of the road bike, though that was purely for high speed, training rides.