How far?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
whoof

Re: How far?

Post by whoof »

Mick F wrote:
hondated wrote:
Mick F wrote:Yep! :D

However ................ one needs a REASON to go for ride. I can go out and ride 10 - 20 - 30 miles, but I'm not satisfied unless it's 40miles plus, but I need a destination and a reason these days.

Hence trying to ride all the roads in Cornwall, plus riding over all the bridges over the A30 Exeter to LE, plus my new task to ride to all the parish churches in Cornwall.
I've done JOGLE, done LEGOG and Back, and done JOGLE on a Chopper, plus been up and down from Cornwall to Scotland, England and Wales as well as Yorkshire and back.

Out tomorrow for more Cornish Parish Churches. Quite a task, as there's 225 of them, and so far done 75. Tomorrow will take the total up to 85 and later in the week will get me up to 98. :D

Enjoy . It's not as if I can even say well you've got no hills where you live is it ! :lol:
Yes, hills make the ride for me.
Flat is boring perhaps?

Back in the old days, I cycled to work and back three or four times a week. 17miles each way, but downhill most of the way in, and obviously uphill most of the way home. 40mins in, and an hour back, but it kept me sane and it kept me fit. I couldn't do it in a hour back these days, but I'd give it a try maybe. :D

I need an aim. Not a specifically a destination, but an aim and a reason to ride. Sometimes it gets boring riding the same roads every time you I go out.

Parish churches are my "thing" now. What happens after I've done all 225, I don't know, but I will have done them all by this time next year. Suggestions welcome!

A pasty in every non-chain pasty shop in Cornwall. You start with Philps and Hampsons (butchers) in Hayle and Ferrells (tiny bakery) in St Ives.
hodge

Post by hodge »

whoof wrote:
Mick F wrote:
Parish churches are my "thing" now. What happens after I've done all 225, I don't know, but I will have done them all by this time next year. Suggestions welcome!

A pasty in every non-chain pasty shop in Cornwall. You start with Philps and Hampsons (butchers) in Hayle and Ferrells (tiny bakery) in St Ives.

mmm . . . how would specifically seeking out pastry as a goal lie with a concurrent quest to lower unusually high cholesterol?
whoof

Post by whoof »

hodge wrote:
whoof wrote:
Mick F wrote:

mmm . . . how would specifically seeking out pastry as a goal lie with a concurrent quest to lower unusually high cholesterol?

Riding to all the places with low cholesterol seems a bit dull.
My advice would be not to try visit all the pasty shops all in one day.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

foxyrider wrote:
I'm not really interested in how epic you have ridden - i've done epic, just what your normal sort of run out is.

my normal ride (non commuting ) is normally 75-90km.

Epic ride wise I did London-Wales-London - 400km in 23 hours and then I did revolve 24 which was 480km in 24 hours but 8500m of climbing and got an everesting ...

frankly if you can do 160km you can do this and all about keeping your HR down and you body under min stress
whoof

Post by whoof »

In answer to the OP.
A normal weekday is a 25 miles round trip to work.
A normal weekend ride 60-80 miles
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

mjr wrote:
Vantage wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Don't forget to pack some warm clothes it's forecast a bit cooler weather on the way.
There's some nice tracks and trails around Delemere easily accessible on a touring bike,hope you have a good w/end Bill :)

Thanks John. :) It'll be interesting to see how my budget kit performs during the 1°c forecast temperature on Saturday night. :?

How did it go? No posts since this one: should we worry?

I'll stick a post in the touring section to avoid taking the thread off topic.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.