Jailed Driver Pushes Cyclist Under Car

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Jailed Driver Pushes Cyclist Under Car

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Horrible.
"Mr Marshall hit his head on the bonnet of a van and was trapped under the wheels – suffering a broken left collar bone, two fractures to his left shoulder, six or seven broken ribs, a damaged lung, a shattered pelvis, a dislocated right hip, a major burn to his lower back and three fractured vertebrae in his back."

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/ ... o-traffic/
&
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-45989288
Last edited by Graham on 27 Oct 2018, 9:35am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: BBC News link as alternative to local newspaper website
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cugel

Re: Jailed Driver Pushes Cyclist Under Car

Post by Cugel »

Shock, horror! Loony road rager has-at a cyclist in the traditional "have a go at a cyclist because I'm a driving loony" mode.

Well! What should we'all do about it? Should vigilante club-carrying cycling clubs be formed to seek out and see-orf the road ragers? Will car clubs of a similar motive be formed in response? Will this internecine war of two-wheel agin' four escalate until one of the groups acquires atomic weapons?

Wot is your own cunning plan to deal with this menace?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
pwa

Post by pwa »

One good thing to come out of this was bystanders coming forward to provide witness statements to enable a swift conviction. And I imagine the bystanders were motorists or people who were not driving but do sometimes. When I had an altercation with a van driver I had a lady motorist stop and offer to relate what had happened to the police if I wanted her to. That made the aggressive road rage motorist back off. There are decent people out there and some of them are in cars. The dividing line is not between cyclists and motorists, it is between decent people and nutters.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Woefully short sentence.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Postboxer wrote:Woefully short sentence.

I think you could have written more, definitely.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Bonefishblues wrote:

I think you could have written more, definitely.

I started to then deleted it as I could go on and on.

If someone pushed a pedestrian in front of a car, or someone off a train platform resulting in severe injuries, I think they would get a longer sentence and possibly be charged with, and found guilty of, attempted murder, as should have happened in this case. It's only luck that the victim wasn't killed, what would the defendant have been guilty of in that case?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cugel wrote:Shock, horror! Loony road rager has-at a cyclist in the traditional "have a go at a cyclist because I'm a driving loony" mode.

Cugel

A change of public perception.
See the worst excesses of anti-cycling and anti-cyclist propaganda properly sanctioned.
Massive fines to be SOLELY invested in public transport and cycling facilities.

A positive public campaign about the benefits of cycling.

Other countries manage to do it better.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
Cugel wrote:Shock, horror! Loony road rager has-at a cyclist in the traditional "have a go at a cyclist because I'm a driving loony" mode.

Cugel

A change of public perception.
See the worst excesses of anti-cycling and anti-cyclist propaganda properly sanctioned.
Massive fines to be SOLELY invested in public transport and cycling facilities.

A positive public campaign about the benefits of cycling.

Other countries manage to do it better.

Agreed and agreed. Now, how to bring this about?

Personally I feel the root causes of such evil behaviours are, well, deeply rooted. They are the knotweed in our cultural garden. They are the behaviours constantly cultivated in us by the consumer hegemony that wants us all to utterly indulge ourselves, with no thought for any of the consequences, because "utter-indulgence" sells so much more than "careful consideration".

We don't do "duty" anymore either, despite vociferously demanding our "rights", even though any fule no that the supplier of rights is people doing their duty to allow and support them.

We are infantilised so as to be easily manipulated. No surprise that we act like infants then. How can we grow up? When everyone's an infant, it becomes hard to know. Even nanny has gone a bit childish of late.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

2 years not long enough , must have been a realy traumatic experience for the cyclist. time to bring back an eye for an eye in these cases. have a lorry run over the the driver.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

+1.
This mad man chose to do what he did and as a consequence his victim will have life long problems as a result,if ever there was a case for a lonnngggg sentence this is it and he should be paying his victim compensation until he's tripping over his beard :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe young people should be psychologically screened before learning to drive

For males the driving age should be raised
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Maybe young people should be psychologically screened before learning to drive

Ageism and sexism - together at last! :roll:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Maybe young people should be psychologically screened before learning to drive

And how does anyone know if their psychological state is constant?

Why only males?
Last edited by reohn2 on 28 Oct 2018, 12:28am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

reohn2 wrote:

+1.
This mad man chose to do what he did and as a consequence his victim will have life long problems as a result,if ever there was a case for a lonnngggg sentence this is it and he should be paying his victim compensation until he's tripping over his beard :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Yes. Unlike many here I'm not one of the lock em up and throw away the key brigade but this chaps actions seem to merit a longer sentence.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Gareth Marshall said that he couldn't thank the NHS enough. A chum of my wife's just moved to New York and posted that his projects there were all dependent on staying healthy, because a hospital stay cost $4200 per day, not including treatment.

It strikes me that the NHS should be suing Hefferman to recover their costs. That'd fix his wagon for a few years to come.

(OTOH, if New Mexico had an NHS we'd never have had Breaking Bad on the box.)
Have we got time for another cuppa?