NCN5 Cannon Hill Park - Bike Trains

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
spongebrainfatpants

NCN5 Cannon Hill Park - Bike Trains

Post by spongebrainfatpants »

Hi
NCN5 in Birmingham runs for a couple of miles through Cannon Hill Park. The park is, mainly, unlit and in some sections can feel quite remote. There was a spate of muggings of cyclists and runners last winter and as result people are reluctant to use it for the winter evening commute.

A couple of us are trying to organise “bike trains” through the park in the evening. The basic idea is that people wait at the park entrance for up to 5 minutes, see who else turns up, and then ride through at the pace of the slowest rider. Looking at the volumes of riders going into town in the morning it shouldn’t be a long wait. We are encouraging people to meet on the hour, at quarter past, half past, and quarter to.

In an idea shamelessly stolen from Chase The Sun we are going to ask participants to tie a green ribbon to their saddle so that we spot each other easily and meet up at traffic lights etc.

The hope is the whole thing would quickly become self organising.

Would welcome any comments, suggestions, and offers of assistance.
Andrew
Si

Re: NCN5 Cannon Hill Park - Bike Trains

Post by Si »

Maybe worth contacting the local community cycle clubs like Balsall Heath or Saheli, etc to see if theyd be able to help, e.g. publicise, maybe put on a ride to launch it, etc.

Also, get it publicised via BCR and TAWS. Im sure youve already mentioned it on PBC and PushBikes sites.

Sounds like a great idea, especially given the reports of machete wielding muggers in there. I know some people have asked what happens to the last.rider on the way out but to my mind they are no worse off than if the scheme hadnt have started, and are better off for much of the ride through the park.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

the last rider is pretty safe as numbers will mean no real threat, this is an excellent idea and good luck, nothing I can take part in as lets say a distance from my commute !
Si

Post by Si »

ianrobo wrote:the last rider is pretty safe as numbers will mean no real threat,

by last rider i meant the one living furthest down tge route rather than one at the back - thus they will eventually be by them self. But better they are by themselves for the short bit at the end rather than the whole route.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Si wrote:
ianrobo wrote:the last rider is pretty safe as numbers will mean no real threat,

by last rider i meant the one living furthest down tge route rather than one at the back - thus they will eventually be by them self. But better they are by themselves for the short bit at the end rather than the whole route.

ah right but by then the issue of Cannon Hill where we have seen muggings is dissipated ?
spongebrainfatpants

Post by spongebrainfatpants »

Si wrote:Maybe worth contacting the local community cycle clubs like Balsall Heath or Saheli, etc to see if theyd be able to help, e.g. publicise, maybe put on a ride to launch it, etc.

Also, get it publicised via BCR and TAWS. Im sure youve already mentioned it on PBC and PushBikes sites.

Thanks, do you have contact details for the local clubs? Sustrans are willing to publicise it as are CycleeSouhBrum. I'm not sure who TAWS is. I haven't contacted BCR wit it yet. West Mids Police are interested and are going to try and ride with us a couple of times. We are planning some leafleting next week and posters for the park gates, bike shops,, and cafes.

There does seem to be an appetite for this and I think we can make it happen by asserting that it is happening
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

Fantastic stuff and can only applaud you for it

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Si

Post by Si »

spongebrainfatpants wrote:
Si wrote:Maybe worth contacting the local community cycle clubs like Balsall Heath or Saheli, etc to see if theyd be able to help, e.g. publicise, maybe put on a ride to launch it, etc.

Thanks, do you have contact details for the local clubs? Sustrans are willing to publicise it as are CycleeSouhBrum. I'm not sure who TAWS is. I haven't contacted BCR wit it yet. West Mids Police are interested and are going to try and ride with us a couple of times. We are planning some leafleting next week and posters for the park gates, bike shops,, and cafes.

There does seem to be an appetite for this and I think we can make it happen by asserting that it is happening

Yep I can pass it onto the CCCs for you if you want. TAWS is The Active Wellbeing Society - they are the ones that run Big Birmingham Bikes and give away the free orange bikes (as well as doing stuff at Calthorpe Hub and in Cannon Hill now and then.https://theaws.co.uk/
If you contact BCR I'm sure that Mel will be only to pleased to stick it on their social media.

Anyway - well done for the efforts that you are making.