London - on the spot fine

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

Re: London - on the spot fine

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:There is no reason that a cyclists cannot be both a pedestrian, and in charge of a vehicle simultaneously, and I would imagine the both could sometimes apply under law. IMO, the only reason the Highway Code advises cyclists to dismount, is not that riding across is a problem, but that they gain the priority accorded to pedestrian status when they do so. The law clearly gives pedestrians priority on a crossing. The status of a cyclist riding across is unclear until a legal precedent is set (i.e. someone brings a case to court).

This has however changed in law for parallel cycle lanes across zebras but both highway code and road markings are slow to change. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/201 ... ph/22/made

It would have been better if the law had changed to simply make all zebras like that IMO.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mjr wrote:
Vorpal wrote:There is no reason that a cyclists cannot be both a pedestrian, and in charge of a vehicle simultaneously, and I would imagine the both could sometimes apply under law. IMO, the only reason the Highway Code advises cyclists to dismount, is not that riding across is a problem, but that they gain the priority accorded to pedestrian status when they do so. The law clearly gives pedestrians priority on a crossing. The status of a cyclist riding across is unclear until a legal precedent is set (i.e. someone brings a case to court).

This has however changed in law for parallel cycle lanes across zebras but both highway code and road markings are slow to change. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/201 ... ph/22/made
fair enough

mjr wrote:It would have been better if the law had changed to simply make all zebras like that IMO.
Yes, or simply to give all non-motorised users on the road the same priority as pedestrians. e.g.turning at road junctions; give way to non-motorised users* who are already crossing the road into which you are turning

* my substitution in one of the points from HC rule 206
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

All this misses the big issue: BMW drivers.
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

thirdcrank wrote:All this misses the big issue: BMW drivers.

Wot 'e said.
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Vorpal wrote:
mjr wrote:

fair enough

mjr wrote:It would have been better if the law had changed to simply make all zebras like that IMO.
Yes, or simply to give all non-motorised users on the road the same priority as pedestrians. e.g.turning at road junctions; give way to non-motorised users* who are already crossing the road into which you are turning

But motorised used wouldn’t be crossing the road - and actually they should have the same priority over vehicles turning into that toad anyway
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Vorpal wrote:
mjr wrote:This has however changed in law for parallel cycle lanes across zebras but both highway code and road markings are slow to change. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/201 ... ph/22/made
fair enough

But motorised used wouldn’t be crossing the road - and actually they should have the same priority over vehicles turning into that toad anyway

That was an example of one of several rules where I think 'non-motorised users' should replace 'pedestrians' in the HC to accord other vulnerable users that same priority tht pedestrians theoretically have. I used 'non-motorised users' because that covers pedestrians, cyclists, equestrians, kids on scooters, etc., who might be using a pavement or shared used facility. I'm perfectly okay with 'give way to anyone crossing the road', but I'm not sure that everyone would understand how that differs from the current HC.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom