Car lamps : one-eyed monster and other outrages

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cunobelin

Re: Car lamps

Post by Cunobelin »

tim-b wrote:Hi
Can they not be bothered to buy a new bulb or are they too tight

Have you tried changing a bulb on some modern cars? Batteries sometimes need to come out, headlamp and grille off, Torx fixings on rear lamp clusters, etc
Regards
tim-b

.... or when they do provide a changing port you need the assistance of a 3 year old contortionist to get into the space
Tangled Metal

Re: Car lamps : one-eyed monster and other outrages

Post by Tangled Metal »

Interesting the legal requirements in France to carry spares but is there a requirement to change it on the spot or can you drive to a better location to do the change?

Only saying because there's a good chance most motorists will carry the spare bulb kit but not the means to change the bulb, namely some form of illumination to see what you're doing. If that's actually possible. I've had cars where you had to look what you needed to do then do it blind by feel.

If course a chance encounter with a passing car who's light is out won't give you any context such as whether the driver is aware of the issue or has been driving like that for months. Both extremes get the same level of opprobrium.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I think we will all be happier when car makers start competing with each other to have the easiest to change bulbs. I was contorting myself a few days ago to change a rear light bulb in our VW, and it really was a two handed job with room only for one hand. Is that really the best they can do?

I once took a Mercedes van to a Mercedes car dealer to see if they would change a headlight bulb for me. The mechanic told me they weren't allowed to work on commercial vehicles because they weren't certified for it. A light bulb! I gave him a scornful look, went down the road to Halfords and did it myself in the car park.
pwa

Post by pwa »

The last few cars we've had make it easy for you by having a warning light come on when a light is out. Surely only very old cars don't do that.
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

The other night I was on the bus out of Glasgow. It was 5pm and already dark. The traffic was very slow. To pass the time I thought that I would count the first 100 cars going the other way. 5 had only 1 light and 2 had no light at all.
Agitate, educate, organise.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I'm sure there's a joke in here:

"How many mechanics does it take to change a light bulb"

Answers on a post card.
RickH

Post by RickH »

pwa wrote:The last few cars we've had make it easy for you by having a warning light come on when a light is out. Surely only very old cars don't do that.

Our 62 plate car (suzuki) doesn't have a warning light. The only car we've ever had that had a warning light was a 1982 (I think - X plate) Volvo.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pwa wrote:I think we will all be happier when car makers start competing with each other to have the easiest to change bulbs. I was contorting myself a few days ago to change a rear light bulb in our VW, and it really was a two handed job with room only for one hand. Is that really the best they can do?

:lol: Most people don't buy cars based on such concerns. Few reviews ever mention it. Most cars are sold on unrealistic vague impressions (the feeling of driving on mythical empty roads on adverts), basic stats (tax band, a doctored mpg, boot dimensions and so on) and short test-drives with maybe quick glances under the bonnet. Only a few nutters like me bother to look for access to the important user-serviceable parts when looking under the bonnet and that's probably only because I'm a mechanic's son and inaccessible lights are getting pretty notorious.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

pwa wrote:The last few cars we've had make it easy for you by having a warning light come on when a light is out. Surely only very old cars don't do that.

Yes and many modern cars also have LED lights which should last many years before failing. The car I use for towing has factory fitted towing gear and even tells you which trailer light is out.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

A possible corollary to difficult bulb changing in car models might be warranty costs. I did find a website that gave an index number for every model of car sold in the UK that relates to warranty, repair and accident repair costs. Also included reliability in the index.

This was before I bought the car before my current one. I was choosing between focus and Astra estates. The Astra had a lot better index score. It really was a reliable car and wasn't too expensive for repairs.

Part of the index accounted for labour costs. Obviously anything that has high labour costs due to being badly designed for access to parts that fail more often would reflect by making the index score worse. IIRC the site also gave comments about the score for each car such as what the car scored well or badly on.

Just a thought.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mjr wrote:
pwa wrote:I think we will all be happier when car makers start competing with each other to have the easiest to change bulbs. I was contorting myself a few days ago to change a rear light bulb in our VW, and it really was a two handed job with room only for one hand. Is that really the best they can do?

:lol: Most people don't buy cars based on such concerns. Few reviews ever mention it. Most cars are sold on unrealistic vague impressions (the feeling of driving on mythical empty roads on adverts), basic stats (tax band, a doctored mpg, boot dimensions and so on) and short test-drives with maybe quick glances under the bonnet. Only a few nutters like me bother to look for access to the important user-serviceable parts when looking under the bonnet and that's probably only because I'm a mechanic's son and inaccessible lights are getting pretty notorious.

Almost every part on a car is user serviceable. Thinking of cars I've had I've changed or rebuilt engines, rebuilt gearboxes, new clutches, welding on new sills and plated rusted chassis etc.
Don't bother with stuff like that now on anything other than hobby vehicles - with our most used car Mercedes bring a new one every three years, come and fetch it when it needs a service and leave another car to use until they bring it back - brilliant really. All we have to do is drive it on the largely empty roads round here.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

Tangled Metal wrote:A possible corollary to difficult bulb changing in car models might be warranty costs. I did find a website that gave an index number for every model of car sold in the UK that relates to warranty, repair and accident repair costs. Also included reliability in the index.

This was before I bought the car before my current one. I was choosing between focus and Astra estates. The Astra had a lot better index score. It really was a reliable car and wasn't too expensive for repairs.

Part of the index accounted for labour costs. Obviously anything that has high labour costs due to being badly designed for access to parts that fail more often would reflect by making the index score worse. IIRC the site also gave comments about the score for each car such as what the car scored well or badly on.

Just a thought.

The mechanic who services our car rates Vauxhall diesels above VW diesels for ease of access to things he has to work on. He says VW make working on the car more difficult, time consuming and therefore expensive than it needs to be.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Tangled Metal wrote:

Just a thought.

I think most cars are designed for access to parts when it's being assembled rather than being repaired.
tykeboy2003

Re: Car lamps

Post by tykeboy2003 »

tim-b wrote:Have you tried changing a bulb on some modern cars? Batteries sometimes need to come out, headlamp and grille off, Torx fixings on rear lamp clusters

The bumper has to come off followed by the headlamp on mine (Jaguar X-Type) takes at least 30 minutes, pain in the backside.

Back to the O/P, I've noticed for a few years now an increase in the number of cars with lights not working.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

A radical solution to the maintenance problem ...... scrap 'em all. Bikes, buses and trains for all instead. Oh, and legs.

Perhaps we can also bring back the horse? They are nice and only smell a bit. One gets used to it, apparently. And also to the sore nether (worse than breaking in a Brookes saddle). There might be the N+1 problem, mind. How many horse types does one need? The fast racer for exciting runs out with like-minded fellows, jumping hedges and getting to the field gate first. The heavy horses for pulling the bairn-cart to school. Perhaps the touring horse, which has a huge flank on which to rest the pannier, along with the ability to travel 145 miles a day on just a few oats and a go at a lush field when the farmer isn't looking.

Cugel, imagining parallel worlds that are the same but different.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes