Velothon Wales cancelled

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ianrobo

Velothon Wales cancelled

Post by ianrobo »

HAs been cancelled for 2019, a real shame in my eyes, I loved it

Following detailed discussions between the Velothon series owners IRONMAN, the Welsh Government Major Events Unit and local event delivery partners Run4Wales, we can now confirm there are no plans for Velothon Wales to continue in 2019 and beyond.

Despite a successful event in 2018, in which more than 8,000 riders took part across three distances, it is unfortunate that we are unable to find a sustainable model for future events.

The event showcased Wales at its best and welcomed UCI professional road racing alongside 40,000 amateur riders, who were given a truly unforgettable experience on closed roads between 2015 and 2018.

We would like to thank the people of Wales, each and every person who took part and the numerous stakeholder and partner agencies who made the event possible. As well as inspiring the next generation of Welsh cyclists, the VELOTHON leaves a legacy that confirms Wales’ position as a cycling destination and host for major global cycling events.

I really doubt closed roads events are sustainable unless much bigger 20k plus
Spinners

Re: Velothon Wales cancelled

Post by Spinners »

Not really my cup of tea but some of my clubmates really enjoyed it and it gained us a couple of new members too.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

I know people can be snotty about this things but surely anything that brings 8000 cyclists together is not a bad thing for our sport ?
mjr

Post by mjr »

What I do isn't sport.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

mjr wrote:What I do isn't sport.

sport, activity whatever, the more of us that cycle the more pressure it puts on the govt. Instead we get the rather risible document and consultation we saw today.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

I propose a closed-sea event for swimming, surfing and paddling canoes about from here to there. No matter that the ferries can't leave port or the fishermen fish. The lifeboat will be allowed through, though. No yachts!

This will bring thousands to our water sports so must be a good thing, even if it will cost £65 each for which participants will receive a T-shirt (wet, cheap) and some dodgy energy bars.

The event will bring millions in spending to the seaside hovels (I mean boarding houses) as well as the ice cream parlours. Everyone living in such places will be very glad and come to love watersporters as the nice and slightly superior people they are. Oh yes they will!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

ianrobo wrote:I know people can be snotty about this things but surely anything that brings 8000 cyclists together is not a bad thing for our sport ?

Snotty :wink:
Not sure I like 8000 of anything in one place, nor do I particularly want more people cycling in general

Less motor traffic, less travel altogether would be good

If it is not repeated it will be forgotten
Unlike the Mick Race which went on for decades, I have not forgotten that
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
whoof

Post by whoof »

Cugel wrote:I propose a closed-sea event for swimming, Cugel

Like this
https://www.stivessurflifesavingclub.co ... -biathlon/

Like this one that's been running for years never heard anything but support.
They start by running the wrong way up a one way street and therefore all the traffic is stopped from going through the town. They then run across the coast and swim back into the harbour and whilst this is happening boats don't enter or leave. If the Lifeboat needs to go out then it does so whilst the participants are held back. In the same way emerengy vehicles can attend incidents on closed roads cycling events.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I assume this is a financial decision and the organisers were not making enough money out of it.
ianrobo

Post by ianrobo »

pwa wrote:I assume this is a financial decision and the organisers were not making enough money out of it.

Yep email was totally clear on that and after riding it I can see why it was very costly to put on
mjr

Post by mjr »

ianrobo wrote:
mjr wrote:What I do isn't sport.

sport, activity whatever, the more of us that cycle the more pressure it puts on the govt. Instead we get the rather risible document and consultation we saw today.

Well, we've had between 8 and 15 thousand at VWales, 70+ thousand at Ride London, plus however many at Velo Birmingham, the Tour of Cambridgeshire, Etape Caledonia and the various Sky Rides and cycling festivals. How many people do you think need to pay to ride on closed roads before we start to get some good stuff? How many rode closed-road events in the Netherlands or Denmark or Flanders or even Germany, Austria, Slovenia or France before things started improving there?

Or more likely, it's good if these events get more people out on bikes again, but sports events have pretty marginal effect on campaigning (when picking their sports host venues, British Cycling don't seem to prioritise places currently building good new stuff for cycling, as they're coming to Norfolk next summer...) and more everyday cycling will make far more difference.

I'd rather Velothon Wales continued than didn't, but it's not a big loss to most touring or transport cyclists.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

pwa wrote:I assume this is a financial decision and the organisers were not making enough money out of it.

According to a blog published on Road CC the organisers have stated there weren’t enough entrants for the event to break even.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Not sure I like 8000 of anything in one place...

I like 8000 oat groats in one place. Milled and cooked, that's a reasonable dose of porridge. :mrgreen:
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot