Sensible cycling in Toulouse

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
RodT

Sensible cycling in Toulouse

Post by RodT »

Just returned from a week in Toulouse, where I was interested to see widespread bike use in a busy city. There did not seem to be many specific cycle routes, yet cyclists whizzed around in a nonchalant way on orthodox bikes, lightweights, Mixtes, Dutch Bikes, old bikes, B’twins from Decathlon and lovely vintage Peugeots and Motobecanes. Don’t remember seeing anyone in Lycra. Men in business suits and working clothes, women zooming about looking chic and slightly aloof. Helmets were the exception, not the rule. Wide use of the equivalent of Boris bikes, with stations all over the place. Bikes locked to railings and street signs absolutely everywhere, and I never saw a single one vandalised. I don’t remember seeing any MTBs, either. Just ordinary bikes.

My impression was that cyclists, pedestrians and traffic used the cityscape with freedom and consideration for one another, even without extensive segregation. It must be a question of attitude, with cycling as just another way of getting around the place.
mjr

Re: Sensible cycling in Toulouse

Post by mjr »

Was it like other French cities I've visited there last few years, with extensive 30kph zones and "sauf velos" on most one way and turn restrictions? Those are fine ways to do light segregation in urban centres.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

I found cyclists were treated with respect while cycling around Normandy. I think 'presumed liability' (which exists in France) means motorists treat cyclists with much more respect.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

atlas_shrugged wrote:I found cyclists were treated with respect while cycling around Normandy. I think 'presumed liability' (which exists in France) means motorists treat cyclists with much more respect.

I’ve found the same on multiple trips to Burgundy,Jura and Provence(in Lycra!).My son has ridden there since he was 8(now 11) and it did wonders for his road skills and confidence.
I think it’s different mentally.