on the phone

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
althebike

on the phone

Post by althebike »

I have just read a short article about a move to ban the use of mobile phones while cycling in Holland. OK I appreciate it adds risk if we are trying to talk or text someone while cycling, but what about those using the phone as a navigation device. If this is also banned, then why not ban the use of gps devices and bike computers too.
Perhaps my mind is going off at a completely wrong tangent here, but I wonder how this law will be introduced and policed?
Cyril Haearn

Re: off the phone

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Great idea to specifically ban holding a phone (or a drink or sandwich) in the hand when cycling

Navigation devices could be fixed to the bars, the controls would only function when not moving

Plus One!
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 27 Nov 2018, 1:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Re: on the phone

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Great idea to specifically ban holding a phone (or a drink or sandwich) in the hand when cycling

Navigation devices could be fixed to the bars, the controls would only function when not moving

Plus One!

Well that's a daft way to discourage cycling, especially if it's broader and stops people drinking or eating on the move. (Actually, I'd be OK for drinking if I've got one of my flexi-straw bottles on the handlebars - hands-free.) It'll just encourage people to hide inside cars, where they can eat, drink and mostly phone with impunity, plus they increasingly have fun car-maker-provided touchscreen tablets on the dashboard.

You can tell it's particularly stupid, as the people riding with one hand on the bars would be criminalised, while it would probably permit those riding with both hands in their pockets who can't do anything to rescue a spill if they hit a hole.

I say let them keep eating, drinking or phoning while riding, but increase the penalties for colliding while distracted in such a way - then people will probably do it sensibly when no-one else is around. I can't be the only person to wait for a quiet stretch before grabbing a snack from my pocket or bar bag, but the more incentive to do it the better.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

IME a lot of younger male Dutch riders habitually ride around no hands with a phone to the ear. That can be fine but do it in downtown Amsterdam and you are asking for trouble. It's certainly these riders the legislation is aimed at.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

althebike wrote: ... I wonder how this law will be introduced and policed?

Probably with a lot less of the loophole nonsense that we have here.