Be Nice Say Hi

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
airfield

Be Nice Say Hi

Post by airfield »

"What a depressing read this article (Oct/Nov) makes !
Have we sunk so low that we no longer exchange common courtesies unless exhorted to do so by publicity campaigns ?
What an indictment of the way we live.
When we take our bikes out for the 6-mile round-trip to the shops one of our principal pleasures is to exchange greetings with an assortment of regular dog-walkers, ramblers, pram-pushers, other cyclists, joggers and the occasional horse-rider. Even a few friendly motorists. None of these people do we know by name; yet we regard them all, if not as friends, then certainly as valued acquaintances. We know them, and they know us.
This is what bicycles are for.
We very much hope that our daily experiences are more reflective of 21st century life than the position portrayed in your article.
mjr

Re: Be Nice Say Hi

Post by mjr »

airfield wrote:"What a depressing read this article (Oct/Nov) makes !
Have we sunk so low that we no longer exchange common courtesies unless exhorted to do so by publicity campaigns ?
What an indictment of the way we live.

This is about the article on page 14 of Cycle by Sam Jones promoting www.cyclinguk.org/horses and the "Be Nice, Say Hi" campaign.

That campaign seems to be directed at new riders who might not have cycled near a horse before. I'm not sure the article is as clear as it could be, as it suggests horses don't like "silent cyclists approaching from their rear" but in my experience, they much prefer it when my cycle is silent (which means no freewheeling and put hub gears into the lowest one) and I talk to the rider.

airfield wrote:When we take our bikes out for the 6-mile round-trip to the shops one of our principal pleasures is to exchange greetings with an assortment of regular dog-walkers, ramblers, pram-pushers, other cyclists, joggers and the occasional horse-rider. Even a few friendly motorists. None of these people do we know by name; yet we regard them all, if not as friends, then certainly as valued acquaintances. We know them, and they know us.
This is what bicycles are for.
We very much hope that our daily experiences are more reflective of 21st century life than the position portrayed in your article.

Oh that's very much how things are in the villages around here, but say hello to a passer-by in most towns or cities and you will be eyed with suspicion, much as if you might be an axe-murderer. I think CyclingUK still lives in a large town, like about half of England's population IIRC, so they might not be used to greeting people.

And in the cycling cities like Cambridge, Norwich or London, people are generally friendly if you ask them things, but there's far too many people to greet all of them, even just the cyclists :)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

"When a cyclist encounters a horse, three brains are involved" said the exspert :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've just been to Look Mum No Hands to collect my friendly gloves :D
peetee

Post by peetee »

drossall wrote:I've just been to Look Mum No Hands to collect my friendly gloves :D

Nice, I thought. But then I copped the price. I bought a different pair of gloves two years ago for half that price and they were waterproof not just water resistant.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

drossall wrote:I've just been to Look Mum No Hands to collect my friendly gloves :D

That's a friendly greeting!? It looks a bit like Papa Lazarou. Waving it about might well suggest that, "You're my wife now!" At the very least it will scare children, grannies, cats and me.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cugel wrote:

That's a friendly greeting!? It looks a bit like Papa Lazarou. Waving it about might well suggest that, "You're my wife now!" At the very least it will scare children, grannies, cats and me.

Cugel

lol .. lol ... +1 ... lol
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oh bugger it gets worse :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

landsurfer wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Cugel

lol .. lol ... +1 ... lol

When out and about yet far from a public netty, one might also use such a glove as a shorthand when knocking at the door of a handy house likely to contain a bog'ole.

"Hello Dave. Can I use your toilet?" (Flashes palm of one glove whilst employing the other to grasp meaningfully at the lower region).

Such a glove would be able to express this request even if the handy house is populated by folk speaking only Chinese or Latvian. Mind, they'd be mad to let you in!

Cugel, now hoping for a pair o' them gloves for Christmas!
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Did anyone see the episode of the Mash Report where a Northerner got arrested for terrorising Londoners by saying "Good Morning" to them?
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

TrevA wrote:Did anyone see the episode of the Mash Report where a Northerner got arrested for terrorising Londoners by saying "Good Morning" to them?

Read somewhere about a politrickian who did that, people went on the defensive and asked themselves, "what does she want from me?" :?

I wear a peaked cap and often doff it in greeting, many people like that, some think it a bit strange. One hopes :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I'm not a great fan of emoji's but I purchased this hat recently from a local cycling cafe,

it's a mirror image of my own normal miserable fizzog. I think it might be perceived as over-friendly if used

in combination with those gloves.

P1110439 (563x640).jpg

P1110440 (640x523).jpg

May as well give the cafe a plug while on the subject, an excellent place.

https://twin-lakes-velo-cafe-functionev ... ness.site/
Nu-Fogey
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I find a certain level of arrogance and self important "me" in these articles.

I am sorry if having just slogged up a hill with my arthritic knees and am not jolly enough for you

Do you really have the right to demand a jolly response?
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

+1 Cunobelin! I know, when I drive to work tomorrow I’ll wave at all the other drivers, that will confuse them :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cunobelin wrote:I find a certain level of arrogance and self important "me" in these articles.

I am sorry if having just slogged up a hill with my arthritic knees and am not jolly enough for you

Do you really have the right to demand a jolly response?

I will demand one anyway, just to annoy you. I enjoy annoying the un-jolly and know that they too are secretly enjoying the experience as they have the paradoxical condition, "I'm only happy when I'm unhappy".

In truth I have this same condition although it expresses not so much in a frown or other rejective gurn but in a happy smile as I emit some degree of verbal poke. I am hoping for an argument, see. after which I will feel that glow of unhappiness at having lost it.

After all, we can only be truly happy or jolly when we have experienced the opposite phases. When "happy" is normal, this generally means one is oblivious to the condition and it's pleasant feelings, as they are unvarying and thus unremarkable.

Cugel, enjoying every emotion, one way or another.
John Maynard Keynes