'you're supposed to give way to cars'

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
peetee

Re: 'your supposed to give way to cars'

Post by peetee »

rmurphy195 wrote:If you are driving (or riding) and you turn a corner to find a pedestrian crossing the road, the pedestrian has priority. Its in the highway code somewhere. Apart from being simple courtesy and common-sense.

+1
As you turn into the road there is (or should be on a correctly maintained surface :roll: ) a hatched white line. This denotes that you no longer have priority and should give way to any who are already using the road. That includes pedestrians, vehicle moving out from a parked position or vehicles approaching, reversing or manouevering on your side of the road.
This marking is the same as that dividing lanes on the carriageway and it indicates the same. You can change lanes or use the opposite carriageway as long as you give way to all users. The same applies to cycle lanes. Those with a hatched lines can be crossed by vehicles as and where the infrastructure or temporary obstruction (not queuing traffic) gives no alternative. A solid line dictates cycle use only just as a solid line adjacent to the right or left of a vehicle lane should not be crossed.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cyril Haearn

Re: 'you're supposed to give way to cars'

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Can? May? :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
peetee

Re: 'you're supposed to give way to cars'

Post by peetee »

Fair enough. May.
I was hoping for the 'Pedant of the Year' award but I have been well and truly trumped. :wink:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.