He wasn't in a Wange Wover

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mjr

Re: He wasn't in a Wange Wover

Post by mjr »

I suspect we're only seeing the end. Who knows how polite he might have been to start?

And should wearing a warm biking mask really "antagonize school staff"? That seems unreasonable, as does calling the police in over it. I hope there's other issues, as suggested, else the school's flipped.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I did not mean that the mask was antagonostic but simply his whole attidude and demeanor.
Perhaps wearing a mask is a symtom of that?

I might add that "he may have been polite in the beginning" is just speculation.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PDQ Mobile wrote:I did not mean that the mask was antagonostic but simply his whole attidude and demeanor.
Perhaps wearing a mask is a symtom of that?

More likely it's a "symtom" of not wanting a cold face, same as most people wearing masks, buffs and scarves this time of year!

Do you think it's unusual to have that attitude if you've been shooed out of the school grounds, then had the police called on you and then have a constable repeatedly invade your personal space? Even if you may have the patience and comportment of a saint, you must know not everyone does.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Personally a nice little chat with other parents whilst waiting would be my choice.
I think a mask in place somewhat compromises that.
A buff is simply dropped to facilitate speaking, though I prefer mine covering where my brains are, it has a far more beneficial effect!

It's not that cold,yet anyway, maybe he's an East of England softie! (joke)

My impression is that he was just looking for a confrontation.
It does happen you know and when it does it leaves a bad taste all round.
Sad and unnecessary.
Same category of a selfish driver.
A boorish fool.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Seems to me that the gentleman could easily have removed his mask on reaching the school, before it was requested. It isn't that cold yet. Was he just looking to winding people up?
John
hondated

Post by hondated »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Personally a nice little chat with other parents whilst waiting would be my choice.
I think a mask in place somewhat compromises that.
A buff is simply dropped to facilitate speaking, though I prefer mine covering where my brains are, it has a far more beneficial effect!

It's not that cold,yet anyway, maybe he's an East of England softie! (joke)

It does happen you know and when it does it leaves a bad taste all round.
Sad and unnecessary.
Same category of a selfish driver.
A boorish fool.

Boorish fool indeed ! Whan I was a Chair of Governors at a primary school I meet several fella's like this idiot. But the beauty of me is that I am who I am and I only ever became CoG because no one else would do it rather than someone who seeks power or authority so when I had to deal with such people a term I used several times was " Don't get lairy with me mate " . Ok not the most articulate thing to have said but it did its job and I could see the doubt in the persons eyes and they suddenly seem to calm down very quickly.

I do agree, as someone else has written this is only " click bait " but I do hope that if this happens again then a parent will step forward to support any police officer having to deal with another incident of this.
peetee

Re: He wasn't in a Range Rover

Post by peetee »

Oh dear. The media are at it again. Why even mention that he was a cyclist? It has no relevance to the story. Parents getting to school on foot wouldn't be referred to as walkers or ramblers.
Authorities are right to confront anyone with an evasive, confrontational attitude and/or who refuses to make their identity known when hanging around outside a school.

And while we are on the subject of irrelevance, what is the point if the title of this thread? It seems to be an unfair dig at people with a speech impediment.
Last edited by peetee on 5 Dec 2018, 12:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PDQ Mobile wrote:It's not that cold,yet anyway, maybe he's an East of England softie! (joke)

Oldjohnw wrote:Seems to me that the gentleman could easily have removed his mask on reaching the school, before it was requested. It isn't that cold yet. Was he just looking to winding people up?

Yeah yeah, you're all hard nuts(!) It's quite cold enough here sticking out into the north sea with an unobstructed wind from the arctic, thank you. I've been wearing thin buffs for months and the thick ones came out a few weeks ago.

If he was "looking for a confrontation" or "winding people up", surely he would have refused to leave the school premises when previously offered a choice between removing the mask and leaving the premises? He chose to wait outside their site but it seems that the school chose to escalate it anyway. Can anyone say how far school dress codes extend beyond their boundary to adults not working there? I may need to change some of my routes to avoid these insanity zones.

peetee wrote:Authorities are right to confront anyone with an evasive, confrontational attitude and/or who refuses to make their identity known when hanging around outside a school.

As you can see more clearly in the second clip, his identity is clearly well known to the school staff. At 1m50s, the guy with the earpiece says something like "I know who your son is - he's waiting over here".

I might add that suggesting he had "an evasive, confrontational attitude" before the school started confronting him is just speculation.

peetee wrote:And while we are on the subject of irrelevance, what is the point if the title of this thread? It seems to be an unfair dig at people with a speech impediment.

Now that I'll agree with you about. I forgot about it in between clicking the title and writing my reply. I've changed it on my reply - why didn't you?
peetee

Post by peetee »

It wasn't changed because I didn't know you could. Job done now.

His inconsiderate attitude allowed the conversation to escalate so he could become evasive and confrontational. Anyone who puts children's wellbeing above their own social media persona would have understood the reasoning behind asking for him to identify himself.
Last edited by peetee on 5 Dec 2018, 1:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

peetee wrote:Anyone who puts children's wellbeing above their own social media persona would have understood the reasoning behind asking for him to identify himself.

Hang on - where did someone ask him to identify himself?

The first-filmed member of staff says he knows his identity, so any later person asking for him to identify himself is probably just looking to escalate the confrontation. Now, I'd agree that the videoer is a fool for walking into such obvious traps, but he doesn't seem to be instigating this.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

If he wanted to promote himself all he has done is make himself look a total pratt. He won't have helped his stepson be a decent citizen, either.

A policeman is quite entitled to ask someone his name: he cannot simply take the word of someone else.
John
peetee

Post by peetee »

mjr wrote:Hang on - where did someone ask him to identify himself?

The officer wouldn't have take his word for it. He would have asked someone to identify him which would have required him to remove the mask.

We can argue about the details but it won't change the fact that it changed from a conversation to a confrontation due to a lack of respect and indifference to others feelings.
mjr

Post by mjr »

peetee wrote:We can argue about the details but it won't change the fact that it changed from a conversation to a confrontation due to a lack of respect and indifference to others feelings.

I'd agree with that, but we seem to differ over who. I don't think invading the videoer's personal space and opening with "'ello mate, I'm [...] and I've been with the headmaster or headmistress in relation to your attitude" is at all respectful. The parent's response is also disrespectful and I think he's foolish for escalating it, but the basic request seems so unreasonable that this seems understandable.

Anyway, the detail avoiding arguing about is that the constable didn't actually ask his identity until well after it had blown up into a full-on confrontation. Comments about police being allowed to challenge someone to identify themself are red herrings. This was nothing to do with that. It was to do with being ordered to remove cycling clothing while on the road outside a school.

I ask again, those of you who feel that the police were correct: how far beyond the school boundary are their dress codes enforceable by police upon adults not working there?
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

cyclemad wrote:In this era of terrorist activity, safeguarding of young persons you need to ask yourselves. If a male who was not known to me to and was not initially known to the school turned up at the gates of my child schools wearing a balaclava mask / face mask which caused my child and their friends distress would I be ok with not challenging that person ?

I remember going to collect my daughter from primary school, a few years ago - for an appointment, so not at the end of school. My wife usually did, and was known. I wasn't. The gate was locked, so I waited outside the gate for her to come out; after a few minutes, a member of staff actually came out and asked if I was OK? was there anything they could help with? Couldn't decide whether to be offended or not (I don't think I look like a suspicious individual...), so thanked them, explained, and was invited in to wait.

I think I would have reacted a bit differently if the school had phoned the police...
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

Oldjohnw wrote:A policeman is quite entitled to ask someone his name: he cannot simply take the word of someone else.

They can ask, but I was under the impression that you don't actually have to answer. Not unless they are actually charging you, or say they suspect you of a crime.