Chrimbo plans

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
TrevA

Re: Chrimbo plans

Post by TrevA »

Does New Years Day not towards the RF500 then? Long term forecast is looking ok so far with temps between 4 and 9 and no rain or snow forecast yet, but it could all change.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
PH

Post by PH »

TrevA wrote:Does New Years Day not towards the RF500 then?

No, it never has.
https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/stories/festive-500
drossall

Post by drossall »

When we were teenagers, a friend of mine used to love Christmas riding because:
  • He was lightly built, and could wear ten jumpers and look like a track sprinter
  • He could go out and burn off all the kids on their new Christmas bikes
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

PH wrote:
foxyrider wrote:Think my chances of doing it are quite slim, i'll be on a coach for two days

Maybe a subject for a different thread, but I'd be interested in your experiences of an Airnimal on a coach.

Not much to tell really - I have a Delsey case which takes my Chameleon and a bit of gear/clothing so just gets treated like any other bit of luggage. In the past i've done this from Austria, trips to Berlin and Dusseldorf and have used the same for flying too, I can get the weight to a normal luggage level so not had to pay for a bike!

This trip is a package deal, the operators are happy to take it at no extra charge!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
PH

Post by PH »

Thanks, it was just such a package tour I've been looking at, they seem to be better value than booking the components separately and I quite like long coach trips. I've been up and down the UK with my Joey in a bag a few times, I ought to just try further afield.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

None really, cycling to go visit an elderly lady I see through my charity work as she has no-one, so will spend a few hours with her around lunch time.

If the weather is ok I might go for a 20 mile bimble in the morning either on the carbon bike if it's dry/just a bit damp, if there's standing water I'll take the winter racer/audax bike, if it's chucking it down/blowing a gale or snowing heavily I won't bother.
If it is snowing heavily (v.unlikely) then I'll get the MTB out and just extend the ride along the trail that skirts the town to get to do my visit, otherwise just my specialized globe as for most of my utility rides.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

The utility cyclist wrote:None really, cycling to go visit an elderly lady I see through my charity work as she has no-one, so will spend a few hours with her around lunch time.

You deserve some recognition for doing that but i don't know how without sounding patronizing, so here goes, well done and take care.
yours
Pat
The utility cyclist

Patrickpioneer wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:None really, cycling to go visit an elderly lady I see through my charity work as she has no-one, so will spend a few hours with her around lunch time.

You deserve some recognition for doing that but i don't know how without sounding patronizing, so here goes, well done and take care.
yours
Pat

Thanks, I've been volunteering with Age UK for 16 years now and I love it. Being a (relatively) young pup but massively interested in social history it's been amazing despite the sadness as the inevitable happens. it's the first time in 20 years I haven't travelled up to my folks and cooked xmas dinner,

It's meant I can have boxing day with the boy and his partner plus get up late xmas morning and do other things, hopefully if the weather is fine I can get the carbon bike out and go for a real tear up before my visit.
have a good one :)
pliptrot

Post by pliptrot »

The utility cyclist wrote:
Patrickpioneer wrote:

yours
Pat

Thanks, I've been volunteering with Age UK for 16 years now and I love it. Being a (relatively) young pup but massively interested in social history it's been amazing despite the sadness as the inevitable happens. it's the first time in 20 years I haven't travelled up to my folks and cooked xmas dinner,

It's meant I can have boxing day with the boy and his partner plus get up late xmas morning and do other things, hopefully if the weather is fine I can get the carbon bike out and go for a real tear up before my visit.
have a good one :)

Patrickpioneer- well, quite. I've taken some inspiration from this post and will try and share a little this holiday. To The utility cyclist -Thanks.
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Merry Christmas all.
Well I've been touring around nias island in Indonesia a mini 3 day tour starting in the south of the island I headed to sirombu on the west coast a nice ride through the countryside and passing several beaches on the way.
Second day I crossed over the island to the east coast a full on day passing over hill after hill some hard climbs in the 30* heat followed by superb descents. The road was in a poor state on much of the way. Torrential rain for the last 30km or so the last 15 km down hill which did my break blocks no good . This morning I set of back to teluk dalam in the south of the island at 5 30am on the longest section of 108km but the flattest of the three days. Did 25km before the sun rise it was 50 km before I found any food in a muslim restaurant. A bridge had collapsed in floods making the road impassable to anything other than motorbikes and me of course. That and the fact it was Christmas day ment that the main road was very quiet indeed. Arrived in town at 12 pm as I went passed the church my wife and daughter were just coming out. Which surprised them .we rode the last 8 km together with them on the scooter. Got home and the wife served up Christmas dinner roast pork jack fruit curry and rice. Perfect.
The utility cyclist

And guess what happened 200m from leaving the house @ 9am? :roll: :twisted:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The utility cyclist wrote:And guess what happened 200m from leaving the house @ 9am? :roll: :twisted:

The fairy whose name one dare not utter :(
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
The utility cyclist

Cyril Haearn wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:And guess what happened 200m from leaving the house @ 9am? :roll: :twisted:

The fairy whose name one dare not utter :(

I wish, mini roundabout I've gone around thousands of times, being cautious, whole lane width was 'black ice', ungritted - it's a residential area and the road is part of a regular bus route. Slid out with barely a turn of the bars, luckily not wearing a helmet or I'd have died given proximity of roundabout kerb.
Smacked my hip heavily, scraped elbow and a bit of hand out whackage, annoyingly scraped my mint condition STI lever. :twisted:

I'd have taken two punctures and a close pass in exchange, oh wait, got the latter later on.
At least the old lady was happy to see me :D