1 year, 10,000 miles on the clock

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
phil parker

Re: 1 year, 10,000 miles on the clock

Post by phil parker »

pedalsheep wrote:Currently on 10,161 miles for the year, mostly on the Isle of Wight.

Hey, congratulations, I'm impressed, you're putting us all to shame, especially when the majority of miles are IOW only. Half of that would have been an excellent year for me - I must do better in 2019!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

phil parker wrote:
pedalsheep wrote:Currently on 10,161 miles for the year, mostly on the Isle of Wight.

Hey, congratulations, I'm impressed, you're putting us all to shame, especially when the majority of miles are IOW only. Half of that would have been an excellent year for me - I must do better in 2019!

Impressive and Congratulations.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
hondated

Post by hondated »

eileithyia wrote:
phil parker wrote:

+1
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

hondated wrote:
eileithyia wrote:
phil parker wrote:

+1

Thank you! :D
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Just remind me, how many thousand miles wide is the Isle of Wight? :wink:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

RickH wrote:

Not many! But it is such a varied island that rides don't feel too repetitive and most of it is very beautiful.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I might have had 10 000 miles in a year 30+ years ago, when I rode my bike everywhere and didn't keep track of how many miles.

Since then, my biggest mileage in any year was probably 2012, a little over 5 000.

I now count my distance in kilometres, which makes it sound like more :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
RickH

Post by RickH »

pedalsheep wrote:
RickH wrote:

Not many! But it is such a varied island that rides don't feel too repetitive and most of it is very beautiful.

My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek. I'm not sure I've ever managed 10,000 miles in a year.

The closest was probably 1996 when a group of us rode across (most of) the USA from San Francisco to Atlanta, timed to arrive in Atlanta for the Olympics. Aprox 2700 miles in 28 days riding (plus 2 rest days) definitely boosted my mileage for that year but, as I say, I still don't think I would have made it to 10,000 for the year.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
djrikki

Post by djrikki »

Thanks everyone.

Wow 10,000 miles on the Isle of Wight... isn't that Isle tiny?

Certainly wasn't difficult hitting 10,000 miles, and by "difficult" I simply mean: it wasn't laborious, I had plenty of time on my hands in order to achieve it and...

The key for me was making the rides varied as I my possibly could/can, plenty of audaxes and sportives in places I have never been to before. I would absolutely hate having to repeat the same routes day in day out, week in, week out as many riders do. Taking new routes and riding new roads is what makes cycling fun for me. For example some people love the thought of Everresting, for me I could not imagine riding up and down the same hill over and over again - Everresting up and down and a "series" of hills as part of a wider effort to achieve the "summit" - now that would appeal anyway that's going off on a tangent.

Looking forward to 2019 which may be even more miles, retain the status quo or less miles for me. The important thing is enjoying the ride irrespective of the numbers and instead discovering new places and meeting people along the way... all this without getting too wet! :lol:
althebike

Post by althebike »

I took my bike in for service after riding it 6000 miles for its 1st year, he looked astonished so it left me feeling like I had gone a really long way, so hats off to those 10 thousanders, or anyone who comes close to that. I will be around 3 thousand short.
That was a lot of miles on the isle of wight, lucky the place is flat. :)
whoof

Post by whoof »

djrikki wrote:Thanks everyone.

The key for me was making the rides varied as I my possibly could/can, plenty of audaxes and sportives in places I have never been to before. I would absolutely hate having to repeat the same routes day in day out, week in, week out as many riders do. Taking new routes and riding new roads is what makes cycling fun for me.

I like riding new routes and have toured and audaxed plenty of new (to me) roads this year but in excess of 5000 miles will have been done on pretty much the same route more than 400 times (there and back being 2 times). Until I either move house or change job it will probably stay that way.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

275 hrs up to mid oct when nerve compression stopped me dead until god knows when.Aiming to do 365hrs.I count hrs as 40% of my riding is forest trails,especially in winter.To get mileage,I take an average of 14mph,my justification for this is the effort involved ,i.e.my 2hr woodland ride might only get me 16mls but the effort is the same as 2hrs road ie 28mls-----works for me.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Hit 10k yesterday halfway up the Arlberg Pass - in the falling snow!

Still a week to go!

Andi
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Until a week after Mildenhall Rally I was on course for another 10,000 mile year. Unfortunately my wife's heath issues and hospitalisation since then has seriously curtailed my cycling mileage.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
hondated

Post by hondated »

pedalsheep wrote:
RickH wrote:

We had a short holiday there this year pedalsheep and I could not believe how hilly the Island is. Thankfully we were in a car :lol: