Your best ride of 2018?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Paulatic

Re: Your best ride of 2018?

Post by Paulatic »

Without doubt Wimps LEJOG and within that
Shropshire
Perthshire
Inverness-shire
and Sutherland.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
althebike

Post by althebike »

Braemar to Dunning. The weather was splendid, scenery beautiful, and although a few lumps on the way, the hills were not too challenging. Early in the ride I phoned ahead and booked accommodation, the first phone call had a vacancy . I just relaxed into the ride and got to Whitemoss lodge early. I was supplied with an unexpected buffet , washed my cycling gear and had it hanging outside in the sun to dry . Relaxing in the evening sun after the days ride was my idea of heaven.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

There have been some great days riding in 2018, how do you define best?

Possibly yesterday's crossing of the snowy Faschinajoch is the highlight but others stick in the mind, the 200+km day in the summer heat, days spent hunting Windmills around Lincolnshire, maybe one of the double Pennine crossing days?

The unifying thing with almost all the rides has been that i've enjoyed the riding.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No 1
Meeting and riding with the Wimps. :D

No2
Starting off a new trial - riding to all the parish churches in Cornwall.
123 done out of a total of 226.

No3
Having ridden over all the A30 bridges between Exeter and LE, there were two that we very difficult to get to. Bridge 6 and Bridge 30.
Managing to get to them was a terrific achievement, so all 79 have been done.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Mick F! You've cycled over all those bridges, now your riding to all the parish churches. Do you just ride past or do you have a look inside?
Many years ago I did stop at the church in Sennen and I did sign the visitors book, have you been there yet?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

My original idea was to go into the churches and sign the visitors' books. It sort of reduced to just photographing the bike outside the churches ......... then it got a bit boring having a possible 200odd photographs of a bike(!) so I ride past the church entrance or walk up to it. I know what I've done, I have the GPS records, and that will do.
One or two churches I've been invited in as the locals are very interested in my quest. :D
Landulph.JPG

As for the bridges, I have a few photographs, and the GPS records of course. I did consider taking a can of spray-paint and "numbering" the bridges.
Bridge No23.jpeg
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yes, it does get a bit boring looking at bikes leaning against the railings, Unless it’s your own a bike :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Yes, it does get a bit boring looking at bikes leaning against the railings, Unless it’s your own a bike :)
We could start a new thread with the contributors posting photographs of their bikes leaning against railings. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Mick F wrote:No 1
Meeting and riding with the Wimps. :D

No2
Starting off a new trial - riding to all the parish churches in Cornwall.
123 done out of a total of 226.

No3
Having ridden over all the A30 bridges between Exeter and LE, there were two that we very difficult to get to. Bridge 6 and Bridge 30.
Managing to get to them was a terrific achievement, so all 79 have been done.

The ladywife (aboard her electric bike) and I will be doing something of your No. 2 in West Wales. However, we hope to enhance the experiences with some photography, inclusive of both the prosthetic-memory type but also a few artyfarties.

This will be a change for me, as usually I go about non-stop and pedal-stomping. A change of pace (and attitude) will do me good. The ladywife will meanwhile get to do interesting investigations of arcane places whilst getting fitter.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Sarpsborg to Drammen (Norway), via the ferry from Moss to Horton. It was a lovely day, a lovely ride on both sides of the fjord, and the ferry was a nice break.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

The road over the top from Staylittle to Machynlleth while doing Lon Las Cymru this summer. The weather was fairly miserable, it rained all the time and the cloud was down on the top but what a descent, it goes on for miles! Just think how good it would be on a calm, fine sunny day. I must do it again next summer.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

rotavator wrote:The road over the top from Staylittle to Machynlleth while doing Lon Las Cymru this summer. The weather was fairly miserable, it rained all the time and the cloud was down on the top but what a descent, it goes on for miles! Just think how good it would be on a calm, fine sunny day. I must do it again next summer.

That is a hill I much prefer to ride up :wink:
I do wish the laws of physics could be changed so one might cycle uphill without having to ride down again
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Yvonned

Post by Yvonned »

Best ride has to be one of the shortest, 16 miles with my husband 6 weeks after prostate cancer surgery and meeting surgeon on the way on his bike. He was so impressed.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Mine I enjoy every ride.

But I think reading through the list, Yvonne’s is my favourite, good luck to your husband and yourself.
NUKe

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mick F wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
We could start a new thread with the contributors posting photographs of their bikes leaning against railings. :lol:

Please do
Have you thought of taking up Holy Orders? You are very well qualified for that :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies