Best thing found this year

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
User avatar
Patrickpioneer
Posts: 289
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 11:18am
Location: Brynteg

Best thing found this year

Postby Patrickpioneer » 26 Dec 2018, 12:15pm

Whats the best thing you have found on the side of the road this year? myself it was a super pair of mole grips and a tenner.
The joys of the road :D
Pat

Bonefishblues
Posts: 6763
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: Best thing found this year

Postby Bonefishblues » 26 Dec 2018, 12:24pm

The BMW Compact which ended up in a hedge after driving like a fool around a bend towards me (I was in my car) whilst I was waiting to turn right.

It may have taught an important lesson. It did me when I was much much younger and ended up similarly off-road :wink:

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13695
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: Best thing found this year

Postby gaz » 26 Dec 2018, 12:30pm

A few coins here and there, a reasonable screwdriver, perhaps two.

brynpoeth
Posts: 10973
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Best thing found this year

Postby brynpoeth » 26 Dec 2018, 12:35pm

A Gilet Jaune with 'Verkehrsdetektiv' (traffic detective) on the back, now I can pretend to be a plastic policeperson

Several free books

A couple of interesting encounters in museums

Some lovely wild cherries and plums to eat :wink:
..
Positive thread alert :)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

PDQ Mobile
Posts: 2882
Joined: 2 Aug 2015, 4:40pm

Re: Best thing found this year

Postby PDQ Mobile » 26 Dec 2018, 12:42pm

brynpoeth wrote:A Gilet Jaune with 'Verkehrsdetektiv' (traffic detective) on the back, now I can pretend to be a plastic policeperson

Several free books

A couple of interesting encounters in museums

Some lovely wild cherries and plums to eat :wink:
..
Positive thread alert :)


More info on interesting encounters please?

You can't beat an interesting encounter!!
Sometimes "found"; sometimes "searched out".

peetee
Posts: 1355
Joined: 4 May 2010, 10:20pm

Re: Best thing found this year

Postby peetee » 26 Dec 2018, 1:42pm

Two shopping trollies dumped over the road from my house. On Christmas Eve my son and I walked them 1/2 mile back to their rightful home - outside Iceland. It was worth the journey just to see the puzzled faces of people passing us by. I don't know if they thought I was:
1. A bit old to be playing with such things.
2. Drunk.
3. Mad as a hatter.
4. Lost.
5. Looking for donations for Christmas dinner.
6. Someone who can't afford a car.
7. Someone with weak knees.
8. A thief.
9. All of the above.

What I am fairly certain (given the general 'couldn't give a monkey's - ness' of the vast majority of people in this city) is that none of them thought for one second that we didn't want to stare out of our front windows at upturned grocery transporters and we were doing something about one of societies greatest problems.
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.

brynpoeth
Posts: 10973
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Best thing found this year

Postby brynpoeth » 26 Dec 2018, 3:11pm

PDQ Mobile wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:A Gilet Jaune with 'Verkehrsdetektiv' (traffic detective) on the back, now I can pretend to be a plastic policeperson

Several free books

A couple of interesting encounters in museums

Some lovely wild cherries and plums to eat :wink:
..
Positive thread alert :)


More info on interesting encounters please?

You can't beat an interesting encounter!!
Sometimes "found"; sometimes "searched out".

Interesting encounters: Heimatmuseum Reinfeld, Matthias Claudius was born there, a great poet (Der Mond ist aufgegangen)
Mehlwelten.de, the biggest collection of flour sacks in the world and a replica of Oetzi, the man from the ice
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

drossall
Posts: 4570
Joined: 5 Jan 2007, 10:01pm
Location: North Hertfordshire

Re: Best thing found this year

Postby drossall » 26 Dec 2018, 3:25pm

A pair of hedge clippers. On the basis that there were also some assorted clippings around, I knocked on the door of the neighbouring house and returned the clippers :D

rjb
Posts: 3388
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 10:25am
Location: Somerset (originally 60/70's Plymouth)

Re: Best thing found this year

Postby rjb » 26 Dec 2018, 3:50pm

peetee wrote:Two shopping trollies dumped over the road from my house. On Christmas Eve my son and I walked them 1/2 mile back to their rightful home - outside Iceland. It was worth the journey just to see the puzzled faces of people passing us by. I don't know if they thought I was:
1. A bit old to be playing with such things.
2. Drunk.
3. Mad as a hatter.
4. Lost.
5. Looking for donations for Christmas dinner.
6. Someone who can't afford a car.
7. Someone with weak knees.
8. A thief.
9. All of the above.

What I am fairly certain (given the general 'couldn't give a monkey's - ness' of the vast majority of people in this city) is that none of them thought for one second that we didn't want to stare out of our front windows at upturned grocery transporters and we were doing something about one of societies greatest problems.


I would have returned it after a shopping trip. :lol:

FDURN97F5HVPDC8.LARGE.jpg
At the last count:- Focus Variado, Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin, Raleigh 20, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Longstaff trike conversion on a Falcon corsa. :D

User avatar
Patrickpioneer
Posts: 289
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 11:18am
Location: Brynteg

Re: Best thing found this year

Postby Patrickpioneer » 26 Dec 2018, 4:00pm

brynpoeth wrote:A Gilet Jaune with 'Verkehrsdetektiv' (traffic detective) on the back, now I can pretend to be a plastic policeperson

Several free books

A couple of interesting encounters in museums

Some lovely wild cherries and plums to eat :wink:
..
Positive thread alert :)


Books, you found BOOKS! that's better than me finding a tenner, which I spent on books. You must live in a more cultural part of wales then me. life's not fair
Pat

brynpoeth
Posts: 10973
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Best thing found this year

Postby brynpoeth » 26 Dec 2018, 4:08pm

Patrickpioneer wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:A Gilet Jaune with 'Verkehrsdetektiv' (traffic detective) on the back, now I can pretend to be a plastic policeperson

Several free books

A couple of interesting encounters in museums

Some lovely wild cherries and plums to eat :wink:
..
Positive thread alert :)


Books, you found BOOKS! that's better than me finding a tenner, which I spent on books. You must live in a more cultural part of wales then me. life's not fair
Pat

I live in a more cultural part of Germany :wink: there are at least six free book stations in town and three more I can think of in cycling distance, several are converted telephone boxes, not all the books are in German, some are in English
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

User avatar
Patrickpioneer
Posts: 289
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 11:18am
Location: Brynteg

Re: Best thing found this year

Postby Patrickpioneer » 26 Dec 2018, 4:36pm

brynpoeth wrote:I live in a more cultural part of Germany :wink: there are at least six free book stations in town and three more I can think of in cycling distance, several are converted telephone boxes, not all the books are in German, some are in English


Germany! Bryn old chap if you ever need a care package of leeks just ask.
Pat

User avatar
The utility cyclist
Posts: 2426
Joined: 22 Aug 2016, 12:28pm
Location: The first garden city

Re: Best thing found this year

Postby The utility cyclist » 26 Dec 2018, 5:06pm

Well I 'found' a lovely Sabbath September on that well know auction website and procured it for a very tidy sum, rode it back from South of the river (Thames) and train back into the N.home counties. Stripped it, bought shiny new carbon mudguard forks (that I can run 30mm tyres under the guards!) and some lovely hand-built wheels that I also 'found' ready built and have just finished buying all the bits to build it up for spring debut. :D

If by 'found' you mean something that someone else has lost at the roadside, well the only thing i remember of note was a £10 note, most of what I 'find' or come across is other people's waste/junk/discarded rubbish - and I often pick it up and pop it in the panniers, if on the way out I'll endeavour to get it on the way back home.

brynpoeth
Posts: 10973
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Best thing found this year

Postby brynpoeth » 26 Dec 2018, 5:11pm

Utility picks up other peoples rubbish, so do I, peetee took some shopping trollies back at the risk of being thought abnormal :wink:
I am glad to be abnormal, I think we are the New Wombles

Underground overground wombling free
The wombles of Wimbledon Common are we
Making good use of the things that we find
Things that the everyday folk leave behind
..
Old Uncle Bulgaria is my favourite
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

User avatar
The utility cyclist
Posts: 2426
Joined: 22 Aug 2016, 12:28pm
Location: The first garden city

Re: Best thing found this year

Postby The utility cyclist » 26 Dec 2018, 6:19pm

brynpoeth wrote:Utility picks up other peoples rubbish, so do I, peetee took some shopping trollies back at the risk of being thought abnormal :wink:
I am glad to be abnormal, I think we are the New Wombles

Underground overground wombling free
The wombles of Wimbledon Common are we
Making good use of the things that we find
Things that the everyday folk leave behind
..
Old Uncle Bulgaria is my favourite

I'd hate to be described as 'normal', i don't try to be anything but what is usual/common / normal is such a rubbish word for describing human behaviour, for one person is not for another.
I did forget I found some unused balloons, along with a CO2 device that connects to the cannisters, of which there were 20+ (all used) simply chucked onto the grass at the side of the road not 75m from home. The throwing away habits of far too many people are disgusting. :twisted: