RLJ deaths stat

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Re: RLJ deaths stat

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote:
reohn2 wrote:That statistic doesn't surprise me in the least.
I've often reasoned that a cyclist RLJing would by virtue of his/her vulnerability not do so in the face of traffic crossing on the opposite green light but would only do so when the opposing road is clear and safe

Yes!!!

I've absolutely no reason to doubt it from an experience/logic sense - I guess I just wanted to confirm it matches any official source. (I tried google .. to no avail ... )

[2 birds 1 stone/scone: motorists bang on about RLJ, and recently a few have started banging on about cyclists endangering pedestrians ]

Nothing endangers pedestrians more than motors that's a fact.
Cyclist/pedestrian collisions are few and deaths as a result practically non existent.
I'm convinced that the loudest voices in the motoring fraternity won't be happy until cyclists are banned from the roads entirely and they'll work to that end by hook or by crook.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
mattheus wrote:
reohn2 wrote:That statistic doesn't surprise me in the least.
I've often reasoned that a cyclist RLJing would by virtue of his/her vulnerability not do so in the face of traffic crossing on the opposite green light but would only do so when the opposing road is clear and safe

Yes!!!

I've absolutely no reason to doubt it from an experience/logic sense - I guess I just wanted to confirm it matches any official source. (I tried google .. to no avail ... )

[2 birds 1 stone/scone: motorists bang on about RLJ, and recently a few have started banging on about cyclists endangering pedestrians ]

Nothing endangers pedestrians more than motors that's a fact.
Cyclist/pedestrian collisions are few and deaths as a result practically non existent.
I'm convinced that the loudest voices in the motoring fraternity won't be happy until cyclists are banned from the roads entirely and they'll work to that end by hook or by crook.

I think that the most strident voices might want that, but the moment has passed, and obviously so, when that might in any way be acceptable.

There is huge political benefit to be had for the Party which is smart enough to be able to address the green travel issue in the round. I have the merest suspicion that Mr Grayling may not have the required intellect.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I think that the most strident voices might want that, but the moment has passed, and obviously so, when that might in any way be acceptable.

The most strident voices are there everytime I ride a bike on the roads by closes punishment passes because I'm there and believe I should keep out of their entitled way.

There is huge political benefit to be had for the Party which is smart enough to be able to address the green travel issue in the round
If only there were such a party...
I have the merest suspicion that Mr Grayling may not have the required intellect.

I have a strong suspicion Mr Grayling has difficulty placing one foot in front of the other as a means perambulation.
Last edited by reohn2 on 2 Jan 2019, 5:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

softlips wrote:
MikeF wrote:
landsurfer wrote:In Edinburgh the lights in the city centre give bicycles priority for a short period before cars are allowed to proceed. Works for me ...
Sounds a very good idea.

They do in London, change for cyclists a couple of seconds before they change for motorised vehicles.

It may be only in the new Tram areas.
I work between Haymarket Station and Haymarket Rail Depot and cycle between them, and the lights in the Tram area definitely have delay between cycle green and vehicle green .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.