WHAT!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

WHAT!

Post by reohn2 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hondated

Re: WHAT!

Post by hondated »

reohn2 wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-46735567

Indeed WHAT!

How on earth did they reach that decision !

My opinion is through personal experience is that once found guilty of killing someone through driving it should be a life time ban. End of.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

If you mean the latter offence, then I guess sentencing guidelines?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:If you mean the latter offence, then I guess sentencing guidelines?

What about previous convictions?
This excuse for a human being killed two people by driving through a crossroad junction at almost twice the speed limit(see the video evidence),served less than a year in prison and now is convicted of D&D over twice the legal limit of alcohol and is handed down a 22month driving ban!
If those are the sentencing guidelines something is seriously wrong with those guidelines!
Plus he gets 22weeks off that sentence if he serves a D&D awareness course!!!!
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:If you mean the latter offence, then I guess sentencing guidelines?

What about previous convictions?
This excuse for a human being killed two people by driving through a crossroad junction at almost twice the speed limit(see the video evidence),served less than a year in prison and now is convicted of D&D over twice the legal limit of alcohol and is handed down a 22month driving ban!
If those are the sentencing guidelines something is seriously wrong with those guidelines!
Plus he gets 22weeks off that sentence if he serves a D&D awareness course!!!!

I suspect you have located the head of the nail just there.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I was pretty shocked by the story and surprised he wasn't banned for life... at least he has rather come down in the world with his wheels, Kia Picanto, not knocking it as we have one... but it is hardly footballer macho man wheels, guess it's just about what is affordable with the insurance bill he would have... guess his premiums will have just gone up even more...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Today some one was given a similar sentence for threatening rape!
They will be on licence for life. I assume?
It that a comparable sentence.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

"
Passing sentence, chairwoman of the bench Margaret Hutchinson said: "We hope this will be a lesson to you."
"

Either she has NO IDEA of how human beings - especially drunken ex-footballers - think, or we're missing the rest of the quote:
".. but in reality I expect it will have feck all effect on your behaviour in the future. And you'll probably kill someone else eventually. "
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

hondated wrote:
reohn2 wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-46735567

Indeed WHAT!

How on earth did they reach that decision !

My opinion is through personal experience is that once found guilty of killing someone through driving it should be a life time ban. End of.
But apparently it was only careless driving. :shock:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mattheus wrote:"
Passing sentence, chairwoman of the bench Margaret Hutchinson said: "We hope this will be a lesson to you."
"

Either she has NO IDEA of how human beings - especially drunken ex-footballers - think, or we're missing the rest of the quote:
".. but in reality I expect it will have feck all effect on your behaviour in the future. And you'll probably kill someone else eventually. "

Share your insights please. This chap is a current footballer, will he be thinking differently?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Bonefishblues wrote:
"

Share your insights please. This chap is a current footballer, will he be thinking differently?

Sadly I'm not very insightful - I just misread the article!

(I think we all know that the chances of this prosecution being career-ending are pretty slim ... )
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mattheus wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
"

Sadly I'm not very insightful - I just misread the article!

(I think we all know that the chances of this prosecution being career-ending are pretty slim ... )

Why would we want this to end his career? My reading is that his career's on a fairly parabolic descent, without any external intervention, in any event.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The headline on the BBC News main England page was pure clickbait, even though it was factually correct

Death crash footballer in drink-drive ban

The headline over the news item itself was more informative
Ex-Man City footballer Courtney Meppen-Walter in drink-driving ban

The first headline initially led me to assume wrongly that the report was about the result of the fatal crash. I'm not suggesting that this makes what's happened any better but clarity is best. Comment has been made above about this from the link
He was jailed for 16 months the following year for careless driving.

FWIW, that must have been for causing death by careless driving as careless driving on its own is not punishable with imprisonment.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/53/schedule/2

Again, it doesn't alleviate what happened but accuracy is best.

It's also worth mentioning that drink driving is a summary offence, where the maximum sentence is six months imprisonment.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

TC
As the OP I first saw this case on local BBC TV news initially when this moron killed two people,and subsequently when his latest crime of D&D attracted a 22 month driving ban.
The BBC report on the local web page was my lead into the story,my apologies for not seeing the headline as clickbait but I was forewarned about this loonie.
As for his sentence,in light of the seriousness of his previous conviction and the fact of him being twice -that's twice- the legal alcohol level in his latest criminal activity,he should IMO have attracted the maximum sentence available to the court and a far longer ban.I'm thinking a 5year ban along with resitting of his driving test after that time and a two year probationary period on receipt of a full licence,plus a huge four figure fine preferably with upwards of a 3 in front of the noughts.
W H Auden
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Here are the current sentencing guidelines for driving over the permitted limit:-

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/of ... ised-2017/

While they are "only" guidelines they are mandatory in the sense that (a) they set out the statutory maximum penalty and (b) any deviation from the guidelines in assessing the penalty within the max will almost inevitably lead to an appeal with the likelihood of something within the guidelines being substituted.

Fortunately, on this second occasion, the legal system has apparently worked to prevent the defendant's intoxication causing something more serious.