Why aren't we approaching local travel in the same way?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Why aren't we approaching local travel in the same way?

Post by reohn2 »

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
squeaker

Re: Why aren't we approaching local travel in the same way?

Post by squeaker »

reohn2 wrote:https://youtu.be/ayPDlDi9Ug4

Why? Er, Daily Mail? :roll: Or was that a trick question? :lol:

(NB other sources of anti-cycling rhetoric are available :twisted: )
"42"
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

squeaker wrote:
reohn2 wrote:https://youtu.be/ayPDlDi9Ug4

Why? Er, Daily Mail? :roll: Or was that a trick question? :lol:

(NB other sources of anti-cycling rhetoric are available :twisted: )

Quite!
One wonders when the penny will drop :|
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

Video has been shared to local facebook cycling campaign page. I will probably reshare it further over the next few days. Thanks.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I agree about cycling giving Dutch children freedom. My son's football team played in a tournament in the Netherlands. All of the opposition teams - children aged 12,13 and 14, all turned up on their bikes for matches, often dressed in the kit and wearing football boots and often unaccompanied.

Over here, children are taken to matches in cars by their parents.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

TrevA wrote:
Over here, children are taken to matches in cars by their parents.
And over here parents drive to a local park for their "park run". :?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

No helmets! No Hi-Vis! No lycra! No shared paths as such! Have any passed a Bikeability test?
I don't peddle bikes.
mjr

Post by mjr »

One bit of UK government is listening: https://www.nice.org.uk/news/article/ne ... d-vehicles
:-)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mjr wrote:One bit of UK government is listening: https://www.nice.org.uk/news/article/ne ... d-vehicles

But not demanding implementation just merely asking local and national government to do something.
TBH unless a cross party agreement on a plan for a reduction in the use of private motors in towns and cities,an increase in affordable clean and regular public transport,and laws implemented in favour of walking and cycling,nothing will happen or at least nothing will happen anytime soon.
One only needs look at the shambles of the railways timetable changes this year and fare increases to realise the current course of action by government is a joke.
The total lack of trafffic policing and motorists allowed to park anywhere they wish with impunity,with wrist slaps for the worst of motoring crime to see it's all so many words with so little action against law breakers.
In a high density population nation or at least in the areas of high density,there is no coherent plan being implemented to get people out of cars in the places where congestion is worst.
W H Auden
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

reohn2 wrote:
mjr wrote:One bit of UK government is listening: https://www.nice.org.uk/news/article/ne ... d-vehicles

But not demanding implementation just merely asking local and national government to do something.
They use the words "encourage..." It's no good encouraging people if there isn't a way for people to do what's being encouraged. That's the biggest problem. The problem is County Councils and Government are trying to facilitate for motor traffic, whilst doing nothing or spouting weasel words for walking or cycling. Every new road construction is focusing solely on motor vehicles.

Just one example £290 million made available. OK there is a bit of blurb about cycling facilities, but if it's anything like HE A21 or A23 schemes it won't be a to a high standard. HE haven't any expertise at all in this field as they don't use or employ people who use cycles.
I don't peddle bikes.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I caught a snippet of the JV show a lunchtime to hear yet another motorist blathering on about cyclists forcing him to overtake in the face of oncoming traffic,and how they all RLJ,don't have lights,don't wear helmets or hi-vis blah,blah,blah.
It becomes tiresome :?
W H Auden
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Not all "cycling facilities" in the Dutch ([urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWf5fbSUNAg]and Danish[/url]) towns seem to be physically separated, ie there are just painted lines. Why should they work in those countries and not here? Don't car drivers there have the aggressive attitude of many here or what's the difference? We seem to have to have kerbs where there is heavy use by motor vehicles, with all the complication that entails.

In residential areas there seem to be a 30kph (18mph) speed limit so do car drivers respect this? I haven't been to Holland or Denmark so I don't understand how their systems work as well as they do.

Their dedicated cycleways alongside roads and elsewhere don't have barriers to prevent motor cars driving along them, and yet that seems to have to be a feature here.

Crawley in West Sussex would be an ideal town to incorporate the ideas from Denmark and Holland, but sadly those in charge have absolutely no idea.
Crawley Loves Bikes Being mostly flat, with lots of cycle paths and increasing facilities for bikes, cycling is the way forward for Crawley.. The people who write this guff haven't ridden a bicycle in Crawley! It's all motor vehicle focussed. Here's just one example, but Streetview for Crawley will show this is common. Somehow someone cycling along this dual carriageway has to occupying the outside lane in order to access the cycle lane ahead. :shock:
I don't peddle bikes.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

MikeF wrote:Crawley in West Sussex would be an ideal town to incorporate the ideas from Denmark and Holland, but sadly those in charge have absolutely no idea.
Crawley Loves Bikes Being mostly flat, with lots of cycle paths and increasing facilities for bikes, cycling is the way forward for Crawley.. The people who write this guff haven't ridden a bicycle in Crawley! It's all motor vehicle focussed. Here's just one example, but Streetview for Crawley will show this is common. Somehow someone cycling along this dual carriageway has to occupying the outside lane in order to access the cycle lane ahead. :shock:
Not cycled in Crawley for a long while, but it looks as if those particular cycle lanes are indicating a path to the ASL boxes at the relevant traffic lights. Useful if / when the traffic is static (due to the level crossing just up the road)?
I suspect that, in Denmark and Holland, it's the 30kph speed limit + presumed liability if you do hit a vulnerable road user that makes the difference: but I'm no psychologist :roll:
"42"
mjr

Post by mjr »

No, I think it's more that the painted lanes tend to be where either motor traffic volumes or speeds or both are truly low, unlike here where painted lanes are often councils trying to use cyclists to slow traffic, but who wants to be a human speed bump?

Most of the segregated cycleways (and there they really are segregated, in that you have to use round signed ones : only rectangle signed ones are optional) do have something that frustrates cars driving on them, often as simple as a small hedge or a lamppost or a bin in the verge between cycleway and carriageway, again unlike the UK tendency to put posts and bins in the cycleway so they're less likely to be hit+run by dim motorists and cost councils money.