First aid kit?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
softlips

Re: First aid kit?

Post by softlips »

philvantwo wrote:I always have one in my rucksack when walking but in 40 years of cycling I've never even considered carrying one. What's the point?

Have to agree.
pwa

Post by pwa »

softlips wrote:
philvantwo wrote:I always have one in my rucksack when walking but in 40 years of cycling I've never even considered carrying one. What's the point?

Have to agree.

How much room and weight do a few plasters, a couple of dressings and two wipes take? I keep it in the bottom of a bag and don't think about it unless I need it.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

pwa wrote:How much room and weight do a few plasters, a couple of dressings and two wipes take? I keep it in the bottom of a bag and don't think about it unless I need it.

I agree. Mine also has a tube of savlon and a tube of sting relief. I've hardly ever used the kit (in a tiny pouch) but it was handy for cleaning up some nasty gravel rash on an elbow once. Also I've twice been stung by wasps and was very grateful for the antihistamine cream.
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

We carry one when touring. Only had to use it once, when my wife got a steel-toothed pedal into the back of her lower leg. She doesn't handle the sight of blood very well, and I struggled to keep her calm.

I'm first-aid trained for work, and she would often joke that with the size of the kit we carried, the only thing missing was the defibrillator. I've calmed down a lot since. :-)
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

I do carry a small one on all rides, because I take blood thinners and even a small nick takes ages to stop without the clotting stuff I bought in the US.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

One bit of kit that could be a life saver is a space blanket.
They are cheap and packaged really small.
If you cycle alone in more remote places, it could be a very useful addition.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It depends on where I am going, how much I am carrying, and how long my ride is.

Going to & from work, and on unladen solo day trips, I do not carry a first aid kit. I keep a hygiene shield for administering mouth to mouth resuscitation in my rack pack, which usually goes with me on those sorts of trips.

If I am going in a group, with my kids, or more than one day, I usually carry a small first aid kit with plasters, disinfectant, triangle bandage, gauze, compression wrap, medical tape, and tweezers. Touring, I also carry anti-histamine, a sting kit, and a space blanket.

I am a trained first aider, though not currently certified. I have not kept up my certification since moving to Norway, though I have taken a couple of refresher courses.

I've only use any first aid on myself one time that I can recall.

Like my tools & inner tubes, it mostly gets used on/for others. :mrgreen:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I usually have some plasters and paracetamol with me, nothing more.
Cours

Post by Cours »

softlips wrote:

Have to agree.

+1. I bleed profusely if cut.
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

First aid trained for work my advise would be that if you are carrying a kit to help others it should include disposable gloves for your own safety.
Cours

Post by Cours »

Disposable gloves and one of those freely available gizmos to put in someone else's mouth of attempting CPR...
hayers

Post by hayers »

Tilley wrote:First aid trained for work my advise would be that if you are carrying a kit to help others it should include disposable gloves for your own safety.

And also good for punctures and chain repairs.
RickH

Post by RickH »

hayers wrote:
Tilley wrote:First aid trained for work my advise would be that if you are carrying a kit to help others it should include disposable gloves for your own safety.

And also good for punctures and chain repairs.

Is that before or after the first aid? :shock:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cours wrote:Disposable gloves and one of those freely available gizmos to put in someone else's mouth of attempting CPR...

I have gloves in my first aid kit (which I don't always carry) and a mouth shield for CPR in my rack bag.

Haven't yet used either.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom