First aid kit?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
peetee

First aid kit?

Post by peetee »

Anyone else carry one of these?
I have one and did need to use it once.
It contains saline tubes, triangular bandage, gauze pads, long bandage, steri-strips, painkillers.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
tim-b

Re: First aid kit?

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Yes, when I'm on my MTB :roll:
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I have one with my MTB which I have used when out with the junior club and when in the New Forest on the cycling week. I do have a few bits in the bag I keep with my bike housed in Mallorca....

To be honest haven't got anything on road bike..
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
MattH

Post by MattH »

Always have one when touring, had to use it once and was glad to have it with me - only had rear panniers on and the front wheel slipped on some wet leaves after braking suddenly for some dog walkers on a path.

I might have a couple of plasters in the saddle pack on the road bike.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I take one on tours - I have utilsed plasters a couple of times and the Savlon but TBH if I needed the other stuff I probably wouldn't be in a state to do anything!
I doubt that many people routinely carry one even if there is some sense in doing so. But in context, some countries it's a legal requirement to have one in motor vehicles but how many drivers actually have any first aid training? Last time I did any was @ 40 years ago at scouts and these days the opportunities seem fewer to even get the basics - just go to A&E to see all the minor injuries that could be self treated with a little knowledge.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Always have one, based on my hillwalking adventures (compede, salon, mozzie stuff, plasters) plus my own medicine. A carry over, I guess.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 5 Jan 2019, 8:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
hayers

Post by hayers »

Small 1st aid kit lives in my saddle bag along with tools, tubes etc. Only used once when someone else in group took a minor tumble, but nice to be prepared.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Small kit (big plaster, small bandage, antiseptic wipe, forget what else as it's almost time to check expiry dates) comes almost every trip, plus I've usually a buff and thin waterproof which can also be useful. I take a bigger kit on tour or when I remember on group rides. My first aid training is a distant memory but my wife is up to date and there are often NHS workers on our group rides.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Never, I took some anti bac wipes and some sticking plasters on a tour once just in case I wanted to clean my hands if a toilet didn't have soap and the plasters were in case of a blister on my heel
I don't think about 'accidents' even though I came off on xmas day due to ice, a 1st aid kit won't do diddly for a badly bruised hip, broken limb, brain trauma or crushed chest.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I always have one in my rucksack when walking but in 40 years of cycling I've never even considered carrying one. What's the point?
peetee

Post by peetee »

philvantwo wrote:I always have one in my rucksack when walking but in 40 years of cycling I've never even considered carrying one. What's the point?

When you are out with a less experienced rider who falls and ends up with a gashed forearm full of soil and grit and you are an hour away from casualty two sachets of saline and a bandage comes in very handy.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I’m still doing some guided rides for B.C. We have to have a first aid kit if we lead a ride. It’s basically bandages, scissors, and dressings of various sizes. No lotions, potions, pills or ointments are allowed.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

philvantwo wrote:I always have one in my rucksack when walking but in 40 years of cycling I've never even considered carrying one. What's the point?

For the majority of folk, there really isn’t a lot of point. Unless you’re carrying an AED, but they are quite bulky.
pwa

Post by pwa »

On longer rides and on hikes, yes I take one. It is small and weighs next to nothing, and basically has plasters, wipes and the odd bandage. Enough to deal with a grazed knee or something like that. Not one of those big plastic boxes you see in offices. A tiny thing that you tucks in the bottom of a bag unnoticed.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Someone was talking about that today, on the train on the way to an Audax event. I really should carry one - I do occasionally, but in a rather random way.