Google Maps cycle routing

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thelawnet

Google Maps cycle routing

Post by thelawnet »

Tried it a few times, it invariably tries to route onto some offroad route. Today it decided that alongside a thundering three-lane dual carriageway on a surface so bad the Highways Agency decided 'uneven pavement' was warranted, then up a flight of steps, was a good idea. There were perfectly reasonable alternatives on 30mph/40mph urban roads or country roads.

It also said 'take the pedestrian tunnel' and various other confusing directions, which were impossible to follow by voice alone, while 'take the second exit out the roundabout' is easy to understand...

The Guardian suggests some alternatives https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -to-use-it but I don't think there's an app that will provide A-B directions for cyclists who want to ride on roads and only roads.
NUKe

Re: Google Maps cycle routing

Post by NUKe »

Routino you can set the road type and surface preferences under. If you get it to plan one of your known route, you can play with the percentages until it virtually thinks the same way you do.
http://Www.routino.org
Screwing cycle routes right down works for me and setting unpaved at 10%
Works for me
NUKe

Post by sjs »

NUKe wrote:Routino you can set the road type and surface preferences under. If you get it to plan one of your known route, you can play with the percentages until it virtually thinks the same way you do.
http://Www.routino.org
Screwing cycle routes right down works for me and setting unpaved at 10%
Works for me

+1 for Routino. Inspired by a question from Mick F about offline mapping and route planning tools I've got an installation of QMapShack+Routino which works well, with a wide selection of maps both on- and offline.
mjr

Post by mjr »

If dragging away from the green bits on https://cycle.travel/map/ is too arduous for you, then www.facilmap.org has a road bike setting which will only use roads as far as I can tell. It's not as good as c.t IMO but it's still far better than Google **ap
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

I tend to not really know where I am going till I am half way down the road. So I do like an app, rather than a website.

Gave Google Maps another go today, first attempt it tried to send me up a steep sandy track, then the alternative it appeared as a road, and was a sort of byway but got to the end of it and it was 'private no entry' with a locked gate and only a footpath to the left as alternative. So did a bit of cyclocross on 23mm tyres. Path was not too bad actually. There was then another steep but paved hill - apparently they don't care about elevation, just getting you on to dodgy bridleways at any cost.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

thelawnet wrote:I tend to not really know where I am going till I am half way down the road. So I do like an app, rather than a website.

Gave Google Maps another go today, first attempt it tried to send me up a steep sandy track, then the alternative it appeared as a road, and was a sort of byway but got to the end of it and it was 'private no entry' with a locked gate and only a footpath to the left as alternative. So did a bit of cyclocross on 23mm tyres. Path was not too bad actually. There was then another steep but paved hill - apparently they don't care about elevation, just getting you on to dodgy bridleways at any cost.

And what's wrong with 23mm CX riding? Of course the best way of avoiding that scenario is stick to known tarmac routes.

Mapping apps of any sort are only as good as the information they use. This winter i've used a wide variety of bridleways / byways / trails and elevation is never mentioned on any mapping. Given that the trails in particular are aimed at irregular cyclists, sections of 10% gravel should at least be hinted at!

There does seem to be an assumption by the authorities that any leisure trail will only be used by inexperienced riders on MTB's! (beside the dog walkers of course) And the NCN are as guilty as anyone of this incorporating frankly unrideable sections on some routes, which some route planning apps will send you along.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!