Plea to roadies....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
charliepolecat

Re: Plea to roadies....

Post by charliepolecat »

More women cyclists are needed

Oh how sweet. You still think of them as the gentler sex, do you? :P :roll: :wink:
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Stradageek wrote:Sadly often true - cycling along minding my own business I hear a distant shout from behind. I carry on wondering what that was and am soon passed by a pack of clubbies. Do they pass the time of day or say hello? No - the leader of the pack just says "why aren't you wearing a helmet" as does another rider "yea, why aren't you wearing a helmet". Friendly lot aren't they :(

Happened to me a couple of weeks ago (being 'caught by roadies), however they weren't hostile in any way and one near the back suggested "get on the back" - I resisted the urge (as I'm nursing a grumbly leg ATM), but even if I wasn't I suspect I wouldn't have stayed there - my (downhill) few hundred yards where I kept a steady distance behind was done at 24mph, and I was only doing 19mph as they passed :(
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

one near the back suggested "get on the back"

Back in the 50s most people knew the old music hall song "Fall in and follow me" and the words were often used when groups passed slower riders. (Shouted, not sung :))
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Oh how I love these threads. If I, wearing Lycra and a helmet, moaned about a hi vizzed sandal wearer I would be lambasted for being judgemental and divisive. :roll:
Now I accept that the members here mostly present themselves either a dedicated campaigner or a grizzled old timer happily living in their own heyday ( no objections to that, its also me), so I should not expect the thoughts of a bunch of sportive bashers, but sometimes this place comes across as a hot bed of hypocracy. Are we welcoming to allxyclusts or not?
If yes, don't whinge.
If no be honest.
I'm honest. I don't condemn other riders but I don't care a monkeys about urban campaigning or recruitment to the cause.
There are idiots the world over. Some ride bikes. Some go too fast, some go too slow! Accept them all or be honest.
Where are these rude clubs? Never met any. The only problem I ever meet is uninformed novice's and wannabes who can't ride 2 wide. If they had come through the club system properly they would rather than riding as the internet tells them.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

+1
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

If you can't whinge about bad behaviour on our highways on the forum of a cycle campaign and cycling special interest forum then where can we whinge?

Seriously, if you can't highlight bad road manners by cyclists on a cycle forum then where? As a cyclist I doubt I'd be welcome on a motoring forum. Besides I wouldn't feel right reinforcing motorists' negative views about cycling.

Of course if you don't like such threads then do not read them. Simple solution to spare your sensibilities.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

mattsccm wrote:Oh how I love these threads. If I, wearing Lycra and a helmet, moaned about a hi vizzed sandal wearer I would be lambasted for being judgemental and divisive. :roll:
Now I accept that the members here mostly present themselves either a dedicated campaigner or a grizzled old timer happily living in their own heyday ( no objections to that, its also me), so I should not expect the thoughts of a bunch of sportive bashers, but sometimes this place comes across as a hot bed of hypocracy. Are we welcoming to allxyclusts or not?
If yes, don't whinge.
If no be honest.
I'm honest. I don't condemn other riders but I don't care a monkeys about urban campaigning or recruitment to the cause.
There are idiots the world over. Some ride bikes. Some go too fast, some go too slow! Accept them all or be honest.
Where are these rude clubs? Never met any. The only problem I ever meet is uninformed novice's and wannabes who can't ride 2 wide. If they had come through the club system properly they would rather than riding as the internet tells them.

+1