Plea to roadies....

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
661-Pete

Plea to roadies....

Post by 661-Pete »

If you're out in force, on a club run on a fine but chilly Winter morn (admirable!)...
And you all gather in a lay-by to 'take five' or whatever (understandable!)...
And a not-so-young cyclist bears down on said lay-by at his usual pootling pace (OK, a bit faster than pootling, it was downhill)...
Please don't all charge out of said lay-by at once, just as not-so-young cyclist draws level....
Not-so-young-cyclist had to swerve right across the road....
Not-so-young-cyclist would take a very dim view, if this manoeuvre were performed by a car. Why should a peloton be so different?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pwa

Re: Plea to roadies....

Post by pwa »

Why don't you just call a clown a clown to their face, there and then? Get it out of your system.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Often saying nothing is most effective, next time I would move over further when overtaking, one should never trust other Road Users :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
whoof

Post by whoof »

661-Pete wrote:If you're out in force, on a club run on a fine but chilly Winter morn (admirable!)...
And a not-so-young cyclist bears down on said lay-by at his usual pootling pace (OK, a bit faster than pootling, it was downhill)...
Please don't all charge out of said lay-by at once, just as not-so-young cyclist draws level....
Not-so-young-cyclist would take a very dim view, if this manoeuvre were performed by a car. Why should a peloton be so different?

I was once on the way to work riding on a shared path. A woman who had just had a cyclist pass her in a manner that she felt was to close and fast said to me. Why are you riding on the pavement. I answered that it was a shared path and pointed to the sign. She then said why are you riding so fast. As I was waiting to cross the road on a Toucan crossing I said that I was not moving let alone doing so fast. She asked if I was trying to be funny and i replied merely factually correct. If she had a problem with an individual she should speak to them and not some other person that she had linked to that individual as a result of what they were doing.
I would suggest you do the same.
If it was a clubrun contact that club and and raise your concerns.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Clubbies, what can I say.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Sadly often true - cycling along minding my own business I hear a distant shout from behind. I carry on wondering what that was and am soon passed by a pack of clubbies. Do they pass the time of day or say hello? No - the leader of the pack just says "why aren't you wearing a helmet" as does another rider "yea, why aren't you wearing a helmet". Friendly lot aren't they :(
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

pwa wrote:Why don't you just call a clown a clown to their face, there and then? Get it out of your system.

+1

Much better than the OP's approach of posting his 'plea' on a forum that no roadie would ever read (if we are to believe the stereotyping sadly prevalent on this forum).
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Not all 'Roadies' are such clowns. But have seen examples where some are....have observed them all go off together like that as there is an inherent fear that will be left behind ......

But many years ago we were in a gateway (off the road repairing an inner tube deflation) when a car from opposite direction pulled over to complain to us that another group was riding 2-abreast. This had caused a following vehicle to overtake so far on her side of the road that she nearly went in the ditch!!!! A. it was not our fault. B. It was not the cyclists' fault. So why take it out on us......

Likewise take it up with the club that is guilty.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

661-Pete wrote:If you're out in force, on a club run on a fine but chilly Winter morn (admirable!)...

Why do you think they did this? I wasn't there so can only guess, but a few possibilities spring to mind:
    The "leaders" misjudged your speed, the others then followed, trusting those leaders.
    They failed to see you at all, perhaps through only glancing rather than looking properly.
    They mistook you for Dave who'd stopped a while back to change a tube or whatever, and was therefore expecting to join them.
    They mistook you for someone from a rival club and couldn't bear to let you get ahead!
Whatever the reason, it's a helpful reminder that cyclists are human just like motorists.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Stradageek wrote:Sadly often true - cycling along minding my own business I hear a distant shout from behind. I carry on wondering what that was and am soon passed by a pack of clubbies. Do they pass the time of day or say hello? No - the leader of the pack just says "why aren't you wearing a helmet" as does another rider "yea, why aren't you wearing a helmet". Friendly lot aren't they :(

Clubs can attract a few overly competetive types, for sure. It’s the same as with many ‘clans’ though. You can’t tar them all with the same brush, but as long as you’re tarring is targeted at the particular riders in that club, it seems like a fair comment.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Stradageek wrote:Sadly often true - cycling along minding my own business I hear a distant shout from behind. I carry on wondering what that was and am soon passed by a pack of clubbies. Do they pass the time of day or say hello? No - the leader of the pack just says "why aren't you wearing a helmet" as does another rider "yea, why aren't you wearing a helmet". Friendly lot aren't they :(

While I was stopped by the side of the road yesterday, a group passed me and none of them commented on my soft hat but two shouted "tits"!

I had stopped by some bird feeders and it was the group I was riding with. Usual behaviour!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Spinners wrote:Much better than the OP's approach of posting his 'plea' on a forum that no roadie would ever read (if we are to believe the stereotyping sadly prevalent on this forum).
Maybe but I can at least make my point here - even if it doesn't necessarily reach the 'right' audience...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

It can happen that way sometimes, but other times there are cheery greetings so you just have to take it as it comes. I'm always a lone cyclist; club cycling isn't for me as I prefer the freedom of doing what I want. :)
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I'm always a lone cyclist; club cycling isn't for me as I prefer the freedom of doing what I want. :)

Solo ride Tuesday, clubrun Saturday - best of both worlds :D
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

whoof wrote:

I was once on the way to work riding on a shared path. A woman who had just had a cyclist pass her in a manner that she felt was to close and fast said to me. Why are you riding on the pavement. I answered that it was a shared path and pointed to the sign. She then said why are you riding so fast. As I was waiting to cross the road on a Toucan crossing I said that I was not moving let alone doing so fast. She asked if I was trying to be funny and i replied merely factually correct. If she had a problem with an individual she should speak to them and not some other person that she had linked to that individual as a result of what they were doing.
I would suggest you do the same.
If it was a clubrun contact that club and and raise your concerns.

Once had a similar conversation with a PCSO

Only one way into town, with a square "Cyclist Dismount" sign.

He called me over , pointed out the sign and asked what I thought it was... I replied "Diagram 966" which took some explaining of the Traffic Signs Manual

After a brief discussion where he explained that I hadn't dismounted, and I pointed out it was advisory, I agreed to dismount at his request. He insisted that square blue signs were compulsory

Then asked where I could remount as there were no "Cyclists Remount" signs instructing me when to remount... He wasn't Happy, then even less happy when I pointed out that there were cars ignoring the clear and compulsory sign telling them to park:

AT this point the PC who had been watching sent me on my way....