Solihull

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
nickodemia

Solihull

Post by nickodemia »

Please could someone who knows the area please give me some idea about cycling in and around Solihull ? My husband and I ride a tandem, prefer on road, quiet lanes etc and do a considerable number of miles per year so like to have a choice of routes. Thanks
TrevA

Re: Solihull

Post by TrevA »

Worth joining a local cycling club - Solihull CC or Beacon Road CC. The Solihull have different club rides to suit different abilities and they will know the best local roads to ride on.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Hi. I've been cycling in Solihull most of my life.

My routes tend to be out towards earlswood lakes, henly in arden and kenilworth.

Have a look at the Tommy Goodwin challenge coming up
https://tommygodwinchallenge.weebly.com/
mjr

Post by mjr »

TrevA wrote:Worth joining a local cycling club - Solihull CC or Beacon Road CC. The Solihull have different club rides to suit different abilities and they will know the best local roads to ride on.

Is Solihull a helmet-forcing club? It looks like it from their code of conduct and if so, people should be warned, regardless of one's views on it, else they may turn up unprepared and be turned away.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

It's awhile since I lived that way or commuted that way to the hospital, but agree with previous poster; south and west are your best options. Earlswood, Henley in Arden, Warwick, Leamington.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

mjr wrote:
TrevA wrote:Worth joining a local cycling club - Solihull CC or Beacon Road CC. The Solihull have different club rides to suit different abilities and they will know the best local roads to ride on.

Is Solihull a helmet-forcing club? It looks like it from their code of conduct and if so, people should be warned, regardless of one's views on it, else they may turn up unprepared and be turned away.

Looks like Solihull are. If that's a problem then the Beacon look like they are a bit more relaxed about it. I can't find any reference to helmets in their club run guidelines.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

But only if they want to join a club and not if they want to cycle their own routes. With the suggestions from others of areas to try, it might be worth looking at cycle.travel and an OS map for planning rides.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Another suggestion is looking at Garmin Connect and possibly Strava. In Garmin Connect, you can search routes made by others that have been made public. I did this whilst on holiday in Somerset and found quite a few route suggestions designed by, I presume, local riders. Ive also used Map my Ride previously, there may be other similar sites.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I use Plotaroute and have added a few in Kent plus several historic audax routes
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Just get the OS Landranger map of the area, work out a rough route and then plot it on Garmin connect, it'll tell you the exact mileage and the elevation gained. Then send it to your device. Simple!!!
the_twin

Post by the_twin »

Tanworth in Arden is a nice ride out. Fine pub by the church and village green.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

We have friends in Dorridge who we have been visiting annually for many years and they take us out for Sunday lunch. The area seems to be teeming with cyclists which I see as a good sign. :D