Along the Thames - upstream from Richmond

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
awparker

Along the Thames - upstream from Richmond

Post by awparker »

In a fortnight's time I hope to have a day out on my Brompton, starting from Richmond station and following the Thames upstream and then a train back to central London. How far I get just depends on how the day goes.

Having looked at a number of maps (Tfl and OS) and searching a number of websites (Thames Path, Sustrans) as well as this forum I am still confused as to where cycling is allowed/possible. I can see that NCN 4 goes through Richmond Park but on this occasion I would like to stick to the riverside.

Any advice or local knowledge would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Alan
Tim Costen

Re: Along the Thames - upstream from Richmond

Post by Tim Costen »

You can ride along the river on the Surrey side from Richmond to Kingston, then cross over at Kingston Bridge and ride along the Middlesex bank up to Hampton Court. Then back to the Surrey side for the section along to Weybridge. Cycling is permitted over that whole stretch. There are some rough/muddy bits between Richmond and Teddington Lock, but the rest is pretty good.

Upstream from Weybridge (where you need to cross back to the Middlesex bank on the ferry) the route diverges from the riverbank for a mile or so until you can rejoin the river at Chertsey Bridge. From there you follow a minor road and then towpath again up to Staines.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

With apologies for going off topic, I'd recommend Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) by Jerome K Jerome.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_no ... n+in+aboat
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

I did a similar route last year - didn't use a ferry, but ended up back on the Middlesex bank for the ride in to Staines. Must have crossed over at Chertsey.

If you want to go on past Staines, cross over back to Surrey at Staines, then ride through Runneymede, past the Magna Carta site and in to Old Windsor, then go to Datchet or Eton and Windsor Riverside for a train home.

PS, all of the route is cycleable - there are some muddy parts - in the Royal Parks, you have to stay on the paved areas. Worst case, you may have to push for a 100m or so past the muddy sections. The only bike fall I've ever had as an adult was in Richmond - after a high tide the Georgian riverfront can be slippy.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
awparker

Post by awparker »

Thank you for all the helpful replies.

I have now managed to reconcile the different information from the various sources.

Planning to read "Three men in a boat" again before I go.

Alan
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Watch out for dogs 'doing a Montmorency' on the towpath :wink:
'Three men on the bummel' is worth reading too
There are restrictions on cycling in certain parks, best to check, there is a live thread about being fined for cycling in Richmond Park
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

You've probably done it by now, but I'll report anyway - see if you concur. I did this about 3 years ago, from west of Richmond Park to Walton-on-Thames. I was on a tourer with 32mm tyres and, I was cussing most of the way. Uneven, rocky/stoney, bloody awful I thought, although the Hampton Palace area wasn't too bad. Never again (*maybe* on a MTB with 2" rubber.)