Fear.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
reohn2

Fear.

Post by reohn2 »

I often wonder just what it is with some motorists that makes them anticyclist.
And I very often wonder if it's at some subconscious level they fear that they may have to become a cyclist themselves,given the undoubted class system that operates in UK society what they fear most is being a social pauper rather than a king.
Is it a theory worth discussing?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Re: Fear.

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A PoB offered me violence today, so rare as to be noteworthy
Started a new thread :wink:
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 13 Jan 2019, 5:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Nah, for a start it's an irrational thing so doesn't hold up to examination.

Look at how cars are sold, empty roads, respect from your peers and neighbours. Suave sophisticated people getting in and out, luxury interiors, soft glowing buttons ready to convert your merest touch into instant commands.

The reality; stuck in a traffic jam, sniffing the exhaust of the car in front whilst paying several hundred pounds a month for the privilege of renting it and another several hundred just to keep it in food, worrying about leaving it alone or even finding somewhere to leave it whilst constantly being told your freedoms are nothing of the kind, how you must follow the rules and how you're responsible for destroying your environment.

Of course their angry - but who to blame? Can't blame other motorists because that'd be the same as blaming themselves.

Suddenly a cyclist pootles past, hardly moving yet overtaking and probably won't be seen again.
They're paying nothing, they're not renting that bike nor paying a fortune to keep it going and they're in front of you - and even if you overtake they'll pass you again shortly.

There's no rational reason to hate them other than they make a good target for your hate and so hate them you must.

They're 'winning' by doing stuff you can't do even though you pay a fortune and they pay nothing.
Hence all the moans from motorists are all about trying to make them have the same disadvantages as their cars but none of the advantages.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cognitive dissonance, believing driving is fun :?

Remember, at the end of the lease con-tract you do not own the vehicle! You may buy it for several thousand pounds more, or upgrade to a new vehicle with higher monthly payments, or hand back the keys and walk/cycle home :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Kwackers
I think we're reading off the same hymn sheet.
The subconscious mind is a strange landscape :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

It is just primitive tribalism - people belong to their own tribe and conform to the social norms of that tribe and reject others.
Any identifiable minority will experience the hate - it is all the same - whether it is hating Blacks or Jews or Muslims or Gays or Mexicans or Catholics or Manchester United fans or Gypsies or Goths ... or cyclists.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Pete Owens wrote:It is just primitive tribalism - people belong to their own tribe and conform to the social norms of that tribe and reject others.
Any identifiable minority will experience the hate - it is all the same - whether it is hating Blacks or Jews or Muslims or Gays or Mexicans or Catholics or Manchester United fans or Gypsies or Goths ... or cyclists.

3/10 for me 8)
peetee

Post by peetee »

Tribal mentality has a lot to do with it. Not only will these people despise cyclists but they will also look down on the driver of any other vehicle that doesn't meet their exacting and narrow-minded ideal. That aside, I believe there are lot of people out there that would love to be fit lightweight and healthy but their lifestyle and lack of motivation make it unachievable. Being stuck in a traffic jam is a bite sized cameo of their stagnant, dead-end shackled life. You riding past, free and enjoying the journey is just rubbing it in.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

its the 'blues and the greens' your not of my clan so I shall hate you. Thankfully it is only a small minority and we do tend to forget all the considerate drivers we meet.
There is a very good book called the 'gift of fear' which does explain a great deal.
Pat
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

AAHH .... Project Fear ... for cycling .... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

Thankfully it is only a small minority and we do tend to forget all the considerate drivers we meet.

So very true. Where I ride most if not all drivers get over to the other side of the road when passing me. There are a few **** **** though and they do cause concern.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

kwackers wrote:Nah, for a start it's an irrational thing so doesn't hold up to examination.

Look at how cars are sold, empty roads, respect from your peers and neighbours. Suave sophisticated people getting in and out, luxury interiors, soft glowing buttons ready to convert your merest touch into instant commands.

The reality; stuck in a traffic jam, sniffing the exhaust of the car in front whilst paying several hundred pounds a month for the privilege of renting it and another several hundred just to keep it in food, worrying about leaving it alone or even finding somewhere to leave it whilst constantly being told your freedoms are nothing of the kind, how you must follow the rules and how you're responsible for destroying your environment.

Of course their angry - but who to blame? Can't blame other motorists because that'd be the same as blaming themselves.

Suddenly a cyclist pootles past, hardly moving yet overtaking and probably won't be seen again.
They're paying nothing, they're not renting that bike nor paying a fortune to keep it going and they're in front of you - and even if you overtake they'll pass you again shortly.

There's no rational reason to hate them other than they make a good target for your hate and so hate them you must.

They're 'winning' by doing stuff you can't do even though you pay a fortune and they pay nothing.
Hence all the moans from motorists are all about trying to make them have the same disadvantages as their cars but none of the advantages.

Perfect summation :-) and, one of the best perks of riding a bike!!!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

charliepolecat wrote:
Thankfully it is only a small minority and we do tend to forget all the considerate drivers we meet.

So very true. Where I ride most if not all drivers get over to the other side of the road when passing me. There are a few **** **** though and they do cause concern.

You don't ride in the UK do you?